Nokia should sell exclusive apps

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm sort of a Nokia ****** around these parts but after getting a chance to play around with an 8X and 8S I really feel like HTC hit it out of the park with the design of both phones. My initial choice for my next WP8 phone was a 920 but at the moment I am a little undecided as the 8X is really calling out to me. I don't want to make this into a pros vs cons thread in regards to the 920 and 8X as there are plenty of those around.

One thing that does keep me on the Nokia track though is the fact that Nokia is more active in the app market and come out with some great apps of their own to maximize the hardware. The same cannot be said for the other OEMs. Going to a couple of MS stores and talking to employees, and reading various threads here I get the impression that many people would buy phones from other OEMs if they had the Nokia apps.

So with that in mind I wonder why Nokia doesn't sell their exclusive apps to phones of other makes. Some might think that it would cut down on the number of sales of Nokia handsets however I think that those that have their mind set on getting a Nokia device will buy one regardless of the app situation. Selling Nokia apps would be an additional way for the company to generate revenue and get a larger user base of their products.

I know people will say it's a stupid idea as again it would elimiate the whole idea of exclusivity and a key selling point but it's just a thought I had to throw out there.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the amount of money they would make selling their apps would pale in comparison to the money they would lose from handset sales. With the lack of customization for OEMs with Windows Phone they need to create any advantage they can above their competition. Nokia has proven that their apps and the exclusives they secure from other app makers do create a valuable reason for people to choose Nokia over another manufacturer.

robert brand

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree but I don't think Nokia could do this and not upset the apple cart, they are partners in an eco system. Nokia Drive is a case in point, they have offered other device makers the chance to incorporate the app but what that means is hard to say. Only that there isn't Drive available on HTC or other devices. On the other hand, why not offer the chance to buy the apps? Its a complex situation. RB

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I can see your point and while I wouldn't mind seeing Nokia exclusives out for other devices, I'd also like to see HTC step it up a bit. There's nothing holding them back to pursue exclusive apps and games for their Windows Phones. HTC was a big proponent of Windows Mobile but just fell off the map with Windows Phones.

I really liked the Titan II and the 8X isn't shabby but neither can sell themselves. HTC needs to put forth some effort.

Then again, with the quality apps the Nokia is releasing for the Lumia line, making them available on the open market would do wonders to promote the platform as well.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
HTC doesn't even support their in house apps properly (Connection Setup for example) I hold out zero hope for them bringing on exclusive apps. They have had 2 years to figure it out.

LG actually pioneered the lure of apps thing, but then they got all pissy and left altogether.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just tweeted HTC about this:

@HTCUSA Why don't you "step it up" and start selling exclusive apps for the 8X? Nokia is getting my money until this changes.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the amount of money they would make selling their apps would pale in comparison to the money they would lose from handset sales. With the lack of customization for OEMs with Windows Phone they need to create any advantage they can above their competition. Nokia has proven that their apps and the exclusives they secure from other app makers do create a valuable reason for people to choose Nokia over another manufacturer.

I agree with you here. I'd like an 8x with Nokia apps. I would pay $2-3 apiece. But that's nothing compared to smartphone margins.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
If I could get just a couple of the Nokia apps on an 8X, I wouldn't have bought the 920. So, in that sense, Nokia is right not to sell their apps - I can imagine there are thousands like me who feel the same way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes