Why no love for OneNote?

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've thought that OneNote has been MS's best kept secret for years. The desktop version (especially on a tablet PC) is awesome. The SkyDrive app and cloud sync is pretty good. But combined with WP8's native integration it rocks!

This is probably my number one reason for leaving android for WP. I just don't understand why no one seems to think it's a killer feature. If they do then they aren't talking. Well lets run it up the flagpole!

I've tried so many times to make do with evernote just for the 'same everywhere' aspect. But it feels so clunky on the desktop after OneNote. Now I no longer have to compromise! Now all my notes are with me any time AND I can jot in quick ones with native shortcuts. That's what the android version was missing the most.

Here's some of my favorite uses:
-scan handwritten notes in, you can see them now on the mobile version! Of course you can search them via microsoft's awesome handwriting recognition. Evernote is famous for this, onenote's been doing it since 03.
-Linked notes: this is way better than evernote also. In OneNote, you can link to paragraphs within notes and embed documents anywhere. And it works flawlessly across notebooks on SkyDrive. It's your very own freeform wiki that you can share all or part of with your family.

I could go on and on but am loving this more everyday. I'm no longer hunting for that perfect gtd app and quick mobile note solution. It's all here now and just works.

Am I alone here? Anyone else super excited about the surface pro with pen input? Check it out if you haven't, spread the word if you agree, and lets use this forum to share tips and use scenarios!

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
What little I have used it I have found OneNote to be a very well put together app on wp8 and SkyDrive. I haven't used it on the desktop. I'd use it more but I've invested years of time/data into Evernote.

gudnuf4u

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife uses OneNote extensively on the RT ....she loves the integration with the L920 ...works great for Xmas gift list, taking notes for meetings and ability to create tabs within One Sheet

I basically told her it's the best kept secret by Microsoft

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been using OneNote since 2007. Fantastic application and I too am a bit confused as to why it doesn't get as much press for it's seamless syncing. It even has a full featured web app if you don't have access to the desktop application.

This lack of attention is probably because OneNote sucks on OSX or something.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What little I have used it I have found OneNote to be a very well put together app on wp8 and SkyDrive. I haven't used it on the desktop. I'd use it more but I've invested years of time/data into Evernote.
I've gone back and forth a few times between evernote and onenote.... I'd go to EN for it's ubiquity across devices and platforms, return to ON for it's elegance on the desktop. Both offer tools to convert one to the other. Though I definitely get it if you are so invested. Good to know the Evernote is on WP as well.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still in the process of switching. At the moment I think Evernote is still easier to use and sync with all my devices including PC.
OneNote is definitely great too, though

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think OneNote is Microsoft's "killer app"... especially when you factor in the free Windows "metro" desktop app for Windows 8.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The problem is you can't open notes in 2007 can you? Doesn't recognise the format. That's what I found anyway so if I'm wrong please let me know because I'd love to be using OneNote more. The only reason I'm not is due to this compatibility issue.

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have just started using onenote, so far its awesome, however it seriously lacks deep browser integration and cross platform features of evernote.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The ability to share Onenote workbooks with people is fantastic. My one complaint about the RT is that there is no pen support (which I knew before I purchased) but Onenote with pen support is such an awesome application and then being able to share with others via Skydrive and have multiple people update the same workbook is very productive.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
OneNote is definitely my favorite thing about Win8, RT, and WP8! All my notes are on all of my devices! Works well taking notes in school! I have a school notebook and sections for each of my classes! Real easy to take notes on my RT in class, quick notes on my phone if I don't have time to take out the RT, and have them all on my desktop when I get home to study and do homework!

OneNote makes my life soooo much easier!

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
OneNote coupled with the "family" room is a major game changer for how my family organizes task and shopping lists. Anyone can edit it on their individual phone and it's synced to everyone's, then the room tile shows that a note has been updated. I agree, it is the killer app.

-E

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I really like it but I didn't like the fact that I needed to upgrade my desktop Office suite to 2010 from 2007 just to read a notebook on my phone. I also want to open password protected office files on the phone which I can't do. Other than that much better than Docs to go on my BB

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Having One Note as a free "metro" app with all Windows 8 machines can make this one of Microsoft's killer apps for sure. I am starting the process of moving all of my NEEDED evernote notes in. The key word is needed, as I have a lot of old crap in there I don't need anyway. One thing I am missing and maybe I am just missing it, is the ability to share one individual note and not an entire notebook.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem is you can't open notes in 2007 can you? Doesn't recognise the format. That's what I found anyway so if I'm wrong please let me know because I'd love to be using OneNote more. The only reason I'm not is due to this compatibility issue.

I used to use 07 at work and 10 at home and just had to tell 2010 to open and save as 07. I don't know for sure but I think 2007 isn't compatible with the SkyDrive web app and therefore WPhone.

So that sucks. The good news is that office and one note are cheaper these days to upgrade. Sure $50 or whatever seems like alot compared to ever note's $5/month but it evens out after a year or so.

I'm happy to see that Onenote is starting to be bundled in with win8 pcs like with WP.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Having One Note as a free "metro" app with all Windows 8 machines can make this one of Microsoft's killer apps for sure. I am starting the process of moving all of my NEEDED evernote notes in. The key word is needed, as I have a lot of old crap in there I don't need anyway. One thing I am missing and maybe I am just missing it, is the ability to share one individual note and not an entire notebook.

I had the same problem, wanted to share my to-do list with my wife so that she could look at what was on my plate for the day/week and also make suggestions (happy wife, happy life!). She is on her very first smartphone with the 8x and isn't use to thinking digitally about notes. So her use for one-note is just some simple isolated lists and quick notes. Mine is a fairly deep GTD system complete with someday lists, to read lists, document scans, project sections and pages etc with a front end task list that is my near term next actions but has shortcuts to a lot of those other sections and notes via hyperlinks.

So what I did was move my task page over to our shared notebook so it sits along side her grocery lists etc so she didn?t have to deal with syncing my monstrosity just to see what I was up to. To my pleasant surprise all my links to my personal notebook still work flawlessly! Even on the phone. Haven't tried it on skydrive web office yet but since both notebooks sit on my skydrive then it's probably solid there too.

So on my work pc, home pc, and winphone I just have our little shared notebook open along with my big one. The links work great and I'm very excited to have learned how to share 'just one page' with her.

Yes I understand that is a workaround and being able to share individual notes would be a little simpler, but just wanted to let you know there is an effective way to get it done.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, wanted to share my to-do list with my wife so that she could look at what was on my plate for the day/week and also make suggestions (happy wife, happy life!). She is on her very first smartphone with the 8x and isn't use to thinking digitally about notes. So her use for one-note is just some simple isolated lists and quick notes. Mine is a fairly deep GTD system complete with someday lists, to read lists, document scans, project sections and pages etc with a front end task list that is my near term next actions but has shortcuts to a lot of those other sections and notes via hyperlinks.

So what I did was move my task page over to our shared notebook so it sits along side her grocery lists etc so she didn’t have to deal with syncing my monstrosity just to see what I was up to. To my pleasant surprise all my links to my personal notebook still work flawlessly! Even on the phone. Haven't tried it on skydrive web office yet but since both notebooks sit on my skydrive then it's probably solid there too.

So on my work pc, home pc, and winphone I just have our little shared notebook open along with my big one. The links work great and I'm very excited to have learned how to share 'just one page' with her.

Yes I understand that is a workaround and being able to share individual notes would be a little simpler, but just wanted to let you know there is an effective way to get it done.

Thanks for your quick reply. That is how I was doing it, but just was not sure if I was missing the obvious (which is known to happen)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99