Sync multiple email folders...

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I just obtained my Lumia 920 and was wondering if it's possible to sync multiple folders from the same email account (Exchange account) and view the emails on the same window (as well as receive notification from both folders). The thing is that on my work email account I have a folder where all the mass emails from work go to and I have another folder (main inbox) where the emails directed to me only go to. Right now I get notifiations to the latter but not the former. I know I can have a tile for each folder and problem solved, but I just wanted to know if it was possible to link those two folders and receive emails from both on the same window. I hope this was clear, if not, let me know to try and clarify. Thanks in advance for your help.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i have synced other folders in my account too. you will only get notifications on msg that come into your inbox. not the sub folders.

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Try pinning the sub folders. You'll at least see how many emails are there.

Like I said in my original post, that's what I did and it works fine. I just wanted to know if what I'm looking for could be done just because it would be one less tile and one less back and forth between email folders. Yeah, I guess you can call me lazy.:winktongue:

timetex

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in this too. With the latest round of updates to the Apple Notification Centre, I could receive an onscreen notification and audible notification when I received a new email to any synced subfolder, which was very handy when I have lots of exchange server-side rules setup to organise mail.

Not only that, it would even display the message even when locked, so I could decide whether to read/reply in full or just ignore it.

Missing this with WP8. being able to pin multiple folders is useful as it gives an easy way to view where new messages have arrived - however, to see the name of the folder requires the mid-sized tile, so mail can take up a lot of room when pinned to the start - plus, notifications (being what they are) means you then have to try and work out which folder has received the new mail.

Not very useable, IMHO.

OffroadGirl

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested in the same functionality. I've had various BlackBerry phones over the years but I'm considering switching to a different phone based on how it handles email. My email is on Exchange Server and I have about 100 folders and server-side rules to sort my email before I grab it. That means I have new email in all of those folders. I use Outlook 2010 on my PC and use a Search Folder to view today's mail, for example. Can a Windows phone do that sort of thing? It sounds like I'll have 100 tiles to look at, and that probably won't be usable.

Simon Day

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Me too.
I've got lots of server side rules to manage a large volume of email from customers, suppliers and colleagues.
As timetex says my iPhone will alert which ever folder the email comes into.
I've also found the VIP feature extremely useful to further sort the wheat from the chaff.

Losing these features in WP8 is a big retrograde step epecially because the phone is a work productivity tool.

The suggestions aroun additional tiles is really not practical for large volumes of email.

I'm going to keep hunting for an answer :)

narayanag

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
syncing multiple folders at once is a must have functionality. I'm wondering how microsoft miss this as everyone in office world use exchange/outlook with several mails with rules.
I hope this will come soon in next WP8 update.

bkandor

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have a wp8 phone and also have many exchange rules sorting mail into folders. I am basically missing all urgent customer email while I'm on the road, because it's too hard to see which folders have messages. I hope they fix this soon.

artzznyzz

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
- For years I have also been using a lot of rules to sort incoming mail from four different e-mail accounts into a lot of folders in one exchange master e-mail account. It works like a charm on my Microsoft (Office 365) Exchange server. And I also use a couple search folders to highlight the prime mail I want to have at my fingertips (family & received in last 7 days).
- The rules, sorting and syncing works well with Windows Phone 8 (NL 9020).
BUT
My WP8 NL 920 does not give any way to display search folders. Worse yet, the newly arrived mail ONLY shows up in WP 8 if it is the odd piece NOT sorted by my rules.
(That is to say that all sorted e-mail goes into the proper folders, but is not flagged as new mail, and the folders are not even shown unless one scrolls through all sub-folders in alphabetic order, & individually opens, downloads & syncs each sub-folder, and then looks to see if anything new is in the folder.)
This "feature" ; - ) kills usability of my WP 8 phone for e-mail as a business tool.
Has anyone found a work-around???

Aethies

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Has this been resolved? I am finding that very same issue not seeing mail from sub folders. I would hope that this would be resolved since the last post was back in 8/13. Anyway.. will keep searching...

Uraz Farukh

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Has this been resolved. I just switched to Windows from Blackberry.. and just discovered this issue. This is a nightmare. Business email will never work this way. How can Microsoft ignore this. Just bought a Lumia 930, the phone is so far so good, but this exchange folders sync option not being there kills it all.

artzznyzz

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sync multiple email folders, & battery drain ...

Nope, the e-mail folder problem is NOT fixed (at least not on my NL 920 WP 8.1 DP with all updates.)
Further, DP 8.1 totally ruins my battery life.

Absolutely no response or feedback from Microsoft or Nokia, despite numerous postings here, in both Microsoft & Nokia sponsored forums, and feedback & problem traces submitted directly from the phone.

MS & N seem to treat even knowledgeable users as mere survey data points.

My two year contract ends in November, & if these two problems are not fixed by then, time to look at alternatives, like Android & iPhone.

Does anyone have any constructive comments ? ? ?

Phil1384

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issues and i thought it will be fixed with 8.1 ... but no ! I don't understand how MS could miss that. I have an exchange account with a lot of rules and files and i can't see in one inbox all my emails. But worst for me, the phone sync folders and sub folders, but don't send any notifications for email received in a subfolders. That's just a shame... my Galaxy Note and my iPad are better for that.

Shane McFarland

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
While this does not completely fix your issue, it is a "band-aid" until the issue can be fixed.

Go into Outlook on your PC
Select Rules (Drop Down)-> Manage Rules and Alerts
Select an Existing Rule and Click Change Rule (Drop Down) -> Edit Rule Settings
Inside Step 1, Scroll all the way to the bottom and Check "On This Computer Only"
Click Finish-> Click Apply
REPEAT FOR ALL RULES THAT SEND EMAILS TO FOLDERS

As long as one of the following is true, ALL of your emails will travel into your phones inbox until None of the below is true.

-Your Outlook is closed on your PC
-Your PC is in Sleep or Hibernate Mode
-Your PC is Off

Once your Outlook re-syncs, your phone will eventually do the same, and all of the emails on your phone will be immediately re-filed to reflect the rules. While your computer is off, asleep, or Outlook is at least closed, you will at least automatically get every email sent straight to your inbox on your phone. (Just make sure your computer sleeps or Outlook closes before you leave it each time)

Let me know if this helps and I will start posting more often!

:cool:

skest3qc

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi

is there an official statement why this is not working as it should?

I know that i can add mail folder to start but if you have over 100 folders it gets a pain :)

Also there is no notification in the notification are.

Hope there will be an improvement for this.

Thanks

Wo1f

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely agree.
Iam wonder, 8.1 dont fix this.

For me, I would like to add to Outlook this:
- option to choose the folders, from where the emails will be displayed in default view
- display in notification center the name of folder to which the mail was delivered
- add the name of folder into small live tile

MS ignores some simple basic and important functions in WP platform again and again. This is one of them.
I choose the WP for the simplicity, but the lack of some simple features rapidly decreasing the productivity of work.
Another very strange example is, that its not possible to delete the history in Media Player.

ilumianate920

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, this feature needs implementing.
At work we are looking to upgrade our Blackberry devices to the Lumia range but this will be an issue for some users (some have a lot of folders / rules).

Is there any news of this being a potential update?

Richard Msyberry

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Here's how to do it. PITA but you only need to do it once. I have 78 sub-folders and I wasn't getting the message. Select folders, select show all folders, select a folder you need/want, select sync this folder and now you'll see the mail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss