google. I'm out of their ecosystem 100% now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If people are using Google for work, Google Apps still supports this.

EDITED: Come to think about it, my last job we used normal user Gmail, My new job in the same field uses Office 365. I have to say, Office 365 is pretty neat.

Hey rdubmu. You are right. Most companies use the everyday consumer google calendar (IMHO gmail isn't really of concern in this discussion). If you join such a company and haven't already set up a GoogleSync connection to your device, your windows phone won't get the job done. The exception to this rule is when the company pays for Google apps, which apparently aren't that many (I don't know any such company personally).

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
According to Nielsen, fewer than 10% of iOS users who use mail use an app. The vast majority use the built-in e-mail client.
I must know every single one of them.

and now that Mark Penn is in charge of the "Google SWAT team" at Microsoft, I expect to see LOTS of advertising
Mr Penn has already backfired on Microsoft in my life. The one thing that people hate most about politics is negative campaigns, and that's all he knows.

Google is proprietary. Google is closed. Google is attempting to lock consumers into its operating system, because without that lock-in, there's little reason to use a buggy malware-riddled crash-fest like Android.
IMAP, CalDAV and Card Dav are neither closed nor proprietary. Windows Phone users (myself included) are only locked out of them by Microsoft.

(Just check out the latest on Android's malware problems
That's a Samsung hardware issue, not an Android software issue. That's also the same chip that Sammy will put in their WP device, is it not. Would that then make it a WP8 malware issue as well? No, it won't. It will still be a Sammy hardware problem.

Microsoft is sharing. Microsoft is open.
EAS isn't free, open or shared by Microsoft. It costs money.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If EAS support is going away only on new accounts then it really isn't a big deal. Microsoft should be able to add support for whatever they need to.

Were they paying a fee to Microsoft for every Gmail account, regardless if that account used ActiveSync or not? If so I can see why they would disable that for new accounts. The funny thing is they are still probaly paying for each Android device sold as they all have ActiveSync support in them.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I started an outlook account and I'm having my Gmail account forwarded to my outlook account. But I have one problem, when I get the notification on my phone that I have a new email it doubles the email in my outlook app, is this normal? I still have my Gmail account on the phone but set to sync manually. I really don't want every email to be doubled.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm slowly but surely switching my email address from my GMAIL one to Hotmail. I can live without most of the other stuff but I do still need to use Google Voice. There is nothing else comparable out there and it's FREE besides. I HAVE switched from using DropBox and Google Drive to using SkyDrive. I'm also switching over from Evernote to OneNote which is MUCH better in my opinion. EverNote served its purpose but I never was crazy about its layout. Too haphazard and cumbersome. I love OneNote and always have. Now that I have it on my phone - it's a no brainer.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I started an outlook account and I'm having my Gmail account forwarded to my outlook account. But I have one problem, when I get the notification on my phone that I have a new email it doubles the email in my outlook app, is this normal? I still have my Gmail account on the phone but set to sync manually. I really don't want every email to be doubled.

Remove the account from your phone. At outlook.com you can set your Gmail account up as a send only account. You can also have outlook.com poll for new messages instead of forwarding from Gmail.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
It took me a good 2 weeks to ween myself from the autotype "google" to Bing for searches. I switched because the Bing rewards can't be passed up. Seriously, free WP games and gift cards just for searching with Bing?? Done deal!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If EAS support is going away only on new accounts then it really isn't a big deal. Microsoft should be able to add support for whatever they need to.

Were they paying a fee to Microsoft for every Gmail account, regardless if that account used ActiveSync or not? If so I can see why they would disable that for new accounts. The funny thing is they are still probaly paying for each Android device sold as they all have ActiveSync support in them.

I agree that for the average consumer this isn't a big deal. Some unfortunates will have problems in the period after Google ceases to support EAS and before Microsoft can support Google's alternatives (e.g. not being able to sync with colleagues Google calendars), but Microsoft must support Google's alternatives at some point and they will. The question is only how fast Microsoft can include that support and what other WP8 features must get pushed back as a result.

For Google and Microsoft however, the implications are huge. It's is all about who controls the sync interface between mobile devices and companies online ecosystems. Whoever controls that interface can more easily out-innovate the competition. That's what this whole thing is about.

Again, it's not about licensing fees.

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft wants Google to pay them for EAS so that WP users can better connect their WP devices to Gmail. Not a tough decision to make.

This won't be anything like Apple Maps for Google. iOS users (at least every single one that I know) is using the Gmail app. And loving the new update. When I had Blackberry devices, mail went through their BIS servers, and arrived instantly.

The legions left out in the cold will be Windows Phone owners , and there isn't much reason foe Google to try. Bing is hard coded to the search button on my 822 just like it is hard coded to Google on my Nexus. If search is crippled, every other Google service is marginalized on the device.

And on the privacy thing, Bing is precisely like Google. It collects information about you on all of the Bing services that you use and displays targeted ads across all of those services. Microsoft is mining data about you too, and they're storing that data. Just like Google does.

Map data, location data, search history and on and on and on. My Lumia is collecting data in all the same ways that Android does, and Microsoft uses it for the same reason: to sell me to advertisers.

If you want to hate Google, do it. No skin off of my sack. Just don't go using Bing because you think there is a greater measure of privacy there. There isn't.

I never used to have a problem with Google, much like I'm cool with Bing. You see, it kinda makes sense for a search engine to monitor user data in order to better display suitable results - as well as ads. Google rubbed me up the wrong way when they bought Youtube, kicked me out of my account and demanded I open a Gmail account in order to keep using it. They later turned around and told me they're scanning my personal emails (in the account I didn't want) as well as my search entries in both Google and Youtube, collectively. I later learned of them hacking IE in order to obtain more of my privacy data. Baring the above in mind, I can totally understand if people want to divorce them completely after hearing they're pulling more dick-ish manoeuvres.

I honestly couldn't care less about their copycat, pocket Windows 98 PC, shoddy OS; whatever floats your boat. It's the way this company is conducting itself at the moment that really bothers me.

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Why is this a religion for some people? Just use the best of both systems. Google maps dominates. Microsoft office dominates the document writing sector. Skype dominates the video calling side and so forth. The purpose is to maximise the quality of your experience, not make it a religion based on which company you have your allegiance to.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Why is this a religion for some people? Just use the best of both systems. Google maps dominates. Microsoft office dominates the document writing sector. Skype dominates the video calling side and so forth. The purpose is to maximise the quality of your experience, not make it a religion based on which company you have your allegiance to.

Great post!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

because they don't have one otherwise.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Because its fun not having the debate would be like having the lights come on the first time Chevy Chase plugged them in... National Lampoons... What fun would that be.

Some go to far trying to push their opinion. The thought that if I can just convince one I have saved the world. In the end we are all only judged by one opinion... our own. Lets all offer input in a civil manner but keep in mind the choice is your own. I would agree getting the best out of what you use is essential whatever that is.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
A great reason to own your own domain, you can use the service you wan and move around to others whenever you feel like it. I'm totally platform agnostic, I use what I like the best for each thing.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Because some people tend to take a stand when they think they're getting screwed.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any concerns about using Google. But then again I chose to carefully read (fully, not skimming) their privacy policy. Twice. The misinformation posted by those ridiculous amateur videos someone linked earlier or hit pieces written by amateur bloggers are not credible sources of information. Furthermore, find me one proven decision handed down by the DoJ that they have been found in violation.
Your privacy isn't under any greater risk or exposure using Google products than with any other major internet company. If you are adamant in keeping all of your activities completely private, then don't use the Internet. That's just the way it is, and there's nothing we can do about it other than not using it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Which means? Your unknowing or disbelieving of different OS's? What are you saying exactly? I'm just curious I have heard this used a few times now I am confused as to the meaning.
The definition means software that will run on any computer operating system. platform agnostic - NetLingo The Internet Dictionary: Online Dictionary of Computer and Internet Terms, Acronyms, Text Messaging, Smileys ;-)

For example, Firefox, Opera and Chrome would be platform agnostic desktop browsers, since they run in Windows, OS X and Linux.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster