google. I'm out of their ecosystem 100% now.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: **** google. I'm out of their ecosystem 100% now.

I think we Microsoft users could start a revolution for privacy. We might not be the biggest in mobile, but 10 years ago, Apple was a bit player in tech and look at 'em now. The fact that Google and its fans expend so much energy attacking Microsoft tells me that our merry little band isn't as insignificant as they keep robotically repeating.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think we Microsoft users could start a revolution for privacy. We might not be the biggest in mobile, but 10 years ago, Apple was a bit player in tech and look at 'em now. The fact that Google and its fans expend so much energy attacking Microsoft tells me that our merry little band isn't as insignificant as they keep robotically repeating.

+1

brianlg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Wish there were a competitive alternative to Google Reader. As in, multiple apps allowing sign-in and a place to keep track of all your RSS feeds. Instead of manually entring them all in every time you switch apps.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I have nothing to do with Google at all, don't even use their search engine, reluctantly use youtube as well, most of the videos are utter bull**** anyway. What really tipped it for me was android, now the last time I used android admittedly was 2010, I know, doesn't seam that long ago but as we all know in the phone industry world that is like a lifetime. Android OS was for me so very unreliable, force close this, poor quality apps, it was just awful. I hated it and still do. When I tried windows phone 7 in the LG Optimus 7 I just blew me at how easy, reliable and clean it was. It's functional and elegant and that speaks for virtually all of Microsofts latest stuff, the Surface, Windows 8 and so on. They really are once again on the rise, slowly.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Wish there were a competitive alternative to Google Reader. As in, multiple apps allowing sign-in and a place to keep track of all your RSS feeds. Instead of manually entring them all in every time you switch apps.

Have you tried Zite? It's pretty close. Not an RSS feed, but a "targeted news feed." Just create an account, point it to your Twitter stream (if you have one) to get additional clues about what interests you, and BAM -- the same great selection of highly relevant news across multiple devices.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

OMG, this just keeps getting funnier and funnier. I am more convinced than ever that this is Google's version of Apple Maps.

Google's implementation of IMAP and CalDAV doesn't support push -- if you want push e-mail and notifications on their "new open standard interface," you have to install and run Google's proprietary apps for Gmail on your iPhone or Android, which include spyware and user tracking components.

Google Sync, Discontinued for Gmail Accounts

those who use iPhones, Windows Phones and other mobile devices will have to rely on IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV. Sure, they are standard protocols, Google doesn't have to pay licensing fees, but Google's implementation doesn't support push. If Apple's iCloud, Yahoo Mail and AOL Mail have push support, why can't Google add it? The Gmail app for iOS has push notifications, but some people might like to use the standard mail client.

Who the heck is going to want mobile e-mail and calendar services that lack push? This isn't 2002.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

OMG, this just keeps getting funnier and funnier. I am more convinced than ever that this is Google's version of Apple Maps.

Google's implementation of IMAP and CalDAV doesn't support push -- if you want push e-mail and notifications on their "new open standard interface," you have to install and run Google's proprietary apps for Gmail on your iPhone or Android, which include spyware and user tracking components.

Google Sync, Discontinued for Gmail Accounts

Who the heck is going to want mobile e-mail and calendar services that lack push? This isn't 2002.
It really doesn't affect Android users. A Google account is required to use an Android device anyway.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Sure, the Android guys get push services, because the spyware is built into the OS itself.

For the rest of the world not living in Android, the e-mail experience on Gmail is now the worst in the industry.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sure, the Android guys get push services, because the spyware is built into the OS itself.

For the rest of the world not living in Android, the e-mail experience on Gmail is now the worst in the industry.
The other issue with outlook.com/hotmail.com is lack of IMAP support for Apple Mail users in OS X. Nobody really wants POP3 nowadays, and most Mac users will opt for free Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird, rather than extremely pricey Office for Mac.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

The Mac is fewer than 2% of global PC users... not really a factor to worry about.

More Windows Phones will sell this quarter than Macs.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

So the maker of the OS that gets activated 1.3 million times per day, has over 75% market share, has the leading search and email service is scared of Microsoft? I'm no Google ******, I don't like Android, but seriously those moronic statements are just sad to read. At least come up with a better and more realistic statement.

Agreed. Google isn't scared of crap. Windows Phone is like a flea on Google's balls.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Google doesn't fear WP. Google does fear a resurgent Microsoft, and WP is a (small) part of what could fuel a resurgence. Hence the swipes.

The real threat to Google is growth of platforms where they cannot collect users' personal information. iOS makes it difficult for them, which is why they launched Android. WP would make it difficult for them if it gains traction. Windows 8 makes it difficult for them, due to the privacy protections in IE and Microsoft's app certification process.

That's why they're working to marginalize MS and Apple -- if a curated model takes off, Google's ability to spy on users and collect personal data will be severely crimped, as will be their ability to push advertising to the end-user.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Can't believe you were using Google in the first place. Shame on you.

Only use Google if you want to sell or advertise something or someone. For everything else, there is MasterCard.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Google doesn't fear WP. Google does fear a resurgent Microsoft, and WP is a (small) part of what could fuel a resurgence. Hence the swipes.

The real threat to Google is growth of platforms where they cannot collect users' personal information. iOS makes it difficult for them, which is why they launched Android. WP would make it difficult for them if it gains traction. Windows 8 makes it difficult for them, due to the privacy protections in IE and Microsoft's app certification process.

That's why they're working to marginalize MS and Apple -- if a curated model takes off, Google's ability to spy on users and collect personal data will be severely crimped, as will be their ability to push advertising to the end-user.

What he typed.

483.jpg

deitylee

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

This tells every company cares more about their own profits instead of users... That's why I love Sun, GNU and Apache...

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Will Google continue support EAS for those accounts already registered with it or only those phones that set it up before the service went out? So if I have to hard reset my phone past January, I'm not longer able to use Google EAS?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Will Google continue support EAS for those accounts already registered with it or only those phones that set it up before the service went out? So if I have to hard reset my phone past January, I'm not longer able to use Google EAS?

That's correct.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234