google. I'm out of their ecosystem 100% now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My avatar pretty much shows that. :smile: That reminds me I'll need to run Linux tomorrow, especially since I'm going to a Linux User Group meeting on Thursday.

All your avatar tells me, is that you are prejudiced against Apple (and a few hundred other OS')! :wink: lol, sorry.

EDIT: yeah, makes me chuckle too...

Gadgetman110

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just nuked my Gmail account that was "forced" on me when I purchased the first gen Evo (only after my beloved Windows phone died after 3 years and no new Windows in sight). Feel GOOD!

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@That post halfway up the forum

It's called an ecosyetem. People like all of their products to sync together and work together. For example, I have w8 and Skype. If I had Win8 and google voice, nothing would integrate (no app).

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Why is this a religion for some people? Just use the best of both systems. Google maps dominates. Microsoft office dominates the document writing sector. Skype dominates the video calling side and so forth. The purpose is to maximise the quality of your experience, not make it a religion based on which company you have your allegiance to.

I get your point. Over the years I have switched between Nokia, Sony, Blackberry, Apple, HTC, and Microsoft with no allegiance at all. Nowadays though, it isn't as simple as just tossing a phone in the trash and swapping your SIM over. Apple made sure of that, introducing the 'Apple only way'. In today's world of 'ecosystems', I find myself choosing the lesser evil, although I can honestly say that, putting customer care aside, I would still choose WP over Apple/BB/Android from a UI/OS POV. I don't objectively go out of my way to dig up dirt on a company, but I expect a fair & reasonable two way exchange whilst we're in bed together. I fell out with Apple regarding their DRM policy and general locked down ecosystem. Their smug marketing/attitude merely added fuel to the fire. Google... well, enough said about them. . .

MS are not perfect, but for the most part, they try. I accept that all tech will screw up from time to time. It's things like the advert tile on my paid-up Xbox gold membership home screen where they have to be careful. It's cheeky. If the rumours regarding advert tiles on Wp8 came to light, I would have left WP and gone else where... where? It doesn't bare thinking about!

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
@That post halfway up the forum

It's called an ecosyetem. People like all of their products to sync together and work together. For example, I have w8 and Skype. If I had Win8 and google voice, nothing would integrate (no app).

I find the average person (like myself) just like products that do what they are made to do. My wife has her iPhone. She doesn't need a Mac.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I find the average person (like myself) just like products that do what they are made to do. My wife has her iPhone. She doesn't need a Mac.

I remember when mobile phones were becoming the norm. . . there were quite a few people who said "Why do I need a mobile phone? Never had one, why do I suddenly need one?". They all own one now and I can guarantee 99% of them would be lost without it. The same will happen with ecosystems. It just takes a little while for those who aren't tech orientated to catch on.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
For example, I have w8 and Skype. If I had Win8 and google voice, nothing would integrate (no app).
Actually, using Google Voice with my Lumia is working pretty well using MetroTalk.

I do have 2 dialers to use, but the only people that I would call with the phone dialer are contacts in my address book. For everything else, I use MetroTalk.

Notifications could be faster, and an option to only use the phone dialer would be great, but I'm far from disappointed with the Google Voice experience on my Lumia.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Google maps dominates? Seriously? That crap has gotten me lost more than MapQuest! Total garbage.

See, now your just making things up. I've used Google maps and Google Navigation for years, and it worked so well I haven't used the Garmin I purchased since it came out on my former Android phone. I've used it to drive in several very large cities, with loads of construction going and i've used it to drive most of the way across the country and back, from very populated areas to very rural and I've rarely had a problem with it. Mapquest is indeed horrible and did steer me wrong on several occasions. Google maps is light years ahead of Mapquest by any standard.

Having said that, I am very happy thus far with Nokia Drive + with the exception of a couple very minor tweaks that I hope to see going forward. Bing maps works well for me for the most part, though I do find myself missing the appearance of Google maps (probably because I am used to it more than anything); but Bing works just fine.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jhguth I'm totally platform agnostic

Which means? Your unknowing or disbelieving of different OS's? What are you saying exactly? I'm just curious I have heard this used a few times now I am confused as to the meaning.

It means that I own my own domain, I am not tied to a service. Gmail annoyed me, so I moved to Outlook.com and it didn't require changing email addresses or any headaches. If I get tired of Outlook.com or something better comes along, I'll use that. My data was stored on Google Drive, I moved it to Skydrive. If I decide I want to use dropbox or Box.com (which is great and often gets overshadowed by dropbox) or some new service... I'll move my stuff to that. Right now my data is actually linked in two places, so if I change something in one it changes in the other.

Platform agnostic means that I have no email address or username or anything tying me down, I have no ties to any service. I can move my data as I see fit. I can use an iPhone or Android or Windows Phone or whatever I want. I often switch between iOS and Windows Phone and since my data is linked its really easy to do, everything just shows up everywhere.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Want to kill my gmail account as well. Question. What happens to my youtube account? Not really much of an alternative to youtube I dont think. Since I got a WP a year ago I have been using hotmail more. I have transferred all my contacts to hotmail. How do I get an email folder though? I have hundreds of emails I need to get off the google servers. Do I have to forward each one to my hotmail account?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It means that I own my own domain, I am not tied to a service. Gmail annoyed me, so I moved to Outlook.com and it didn't require changing email addresses or any headaches. If I get tired of Outlook.com or something better comes along, I'll use that. My data was stored on Google Drive, I moved it to Skydrive. If I decide I want to use dropbox or Box.com (which is great and often gets overshadowed by dropbox) or some new service... I'll move my stuff to that. Right now my data is actually linked in two places, so if I change something in one it changes in the other.

Platform agnostic means that I have no email address or username or anything tying me down, I have no ties to any service. I can move my data as I see fit. I can use an iPhone or Android or Windows Phone or whatever I want. I often switch between iOS and Windows Phone and since my data is linked its really easy to do, everything just shows up everywhere. [/COLOR]

Trying very hard to resist making a master of your domain comment. :wink:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Want to kill my gmail account as well. Question. What happens to my youtube account? Not really much of an alternative to youtube I dont think. Since I got a WP a year ago I have been using hotmail more. I have transferred all my contacts to hotmail. How do I get an email folder though? I have hundreds of emails I need to get off the google servers. Do I have to forward each one to my hotmail account?

Vimeo is a viable alternative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786