google. I'm out of their ecosystem 100% now.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Will have to play around a bit. Seems like more artsy stuff from first glance.

So anyone know how to get my emails off of my google account?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Will have to play around a bit. Seems like more artsy stuff from first glance.

So anyone know how to get my emails off of my google account?

I had a gmail account set up for my desktop outlook program. I created an outlook.com account and set it up within my desktop outlook. Then, I drug all of my e-mails from the gmail to the outlook accounts. When that was done, I removed my gmail.com account from my desktop outlook program and have used my outlook.com account since that time. I also drug and dropped everything to my outlook.com calendar within my desktop outlook and everything has worked perfectly from that point on.

There might be an easier way, but that worked great for me, and even with thousands of e-mails stored, only took 20 minutes or so.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Which means? Your unknowing or disbelieving of different OS's? What are you saying exactly? I'm just curious I have heard this used a few times now I am confused as to the meaning.

Laura's definition is the most accurate, but many people take it to mean you aren't beholden to one ecosystem or another or fanboyish about one OS.

I try to be this way, I'd say I am actually, despite a bit of Android hate which I recently put to bed.

I use a Windows Phone, an Android tablet, A Mac OS X laptop and a Windows 7 desktop PC everyday, so I'm all over the place with ecosystems and OS's.

I'm OK with that though because I like things about all of them. I wouldn't want to be limited to just one. I feel that Windows Phone is the best phone right now for me, but I wouldn't hate having an iPhone. Android is the best tablet OS for me for the time being, Mac OS X is my preference for desktop OS but I like Windows 7 almost as much, so close that i wouldn't want to be with one and not the other, I want 'em BOTH!

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The fact that people freak out when free services use their info for advertising shows the internet disconnect from reality. It is like this whole thing with Instagram today, is Google any different? They are advertising companies that offer services for "free". You are paying however with your information. Microsoft does have some of this in their model, though you can pay a few bucks a year to outlook.com and have no ad's which is nice. Once they have you and your information they will then work to cut you off from competitors since you are stuck. People are clamoring online for Google to run fiber all over the US as it would be fast. Are these people crazy? You want one company to control everything starting with ISP?

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The fact that people freak out when free services use their info for advertising shows the internet disconnect from reality. It is like this whole thing with Instagram today, is Google any different? They are advertising companies that offer services for "free". You are paying however with your information. Microsoft does have some of this in their model, though you can pay a few bucks a year to outlook.com and have no ad's which is nice. Once they have you and your information they will then work to cut you off from competitors since you are stuck. People are clamoring online for Google to run fiber all over the US as it would be fast. Are these people crazy? You want one company to control everything starting with ISP?

Using personal information for advertising purposes is one thing, but for a company like Instagram to take content that a user has created and use it as they see fit for their own monetary gain, without regard or compensation to the creator of said content, that is a bit ridiculous.

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: **** google. I'm out of their ecosystem 100% now.

Funny how you are boycotting Google because they won't support windows phone, when deep down inside you want them to support the platform. If they suck so much why didn't you do this earlier?

Your comment makes no sense at all..and whoever likes Google eco system and buys WPs...people who perfer Google should purchase android products, it is just logical. what is the point of having a windows Phone if google should be the primary software provider for the ecosystem

Last edited:

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Your comment makes no sense at all..and whoever likes Google eco system and buys WPs...people who perfer Google should purchase android products, it is just logical. what is the point of having a windows Phone if google should be the primary software provider for the echo system

I enjoy google's ecosystem a lot. I've used google mail since it was invite only. I use Google Calendar to sync research meetings and such. Yet I have a windows phone. I also have a macbook air and a nexus 7 tablet. It's not one or the other now. You can be cross platform. I'm doing my best to move to outlook and such but it is not easy. I would prefer to put my time elsewhere.

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I enjoy google's ecosystem a lot. I've used google mail since it was invite only. I use Google Calendar to sync research meetings and such. Yet I have a windows phone. I also have a macbook air and a nexus 7 tablet. It's not one or the other now. You can be cross platform. I'm doing my best to move to outlook and such but it is not easy. I would prefer to put my time elsewhere.

Why windows Phone? Certainly Galaxy Note, GS3, and Droid Razrs are solid devices and for obvious reasons the Google ecosystem works a lot better with those phone than any WPs

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Off topic: I just received a forum warning for doing exactly what I've been watching other users do in this forum, so thanks for that. A user bashed a person's device choice & I called him out on it.

On topic, the Microsoft ecosystem is superior to Google's, though does lack an obvious YouTube competitor, & Google Reader alternative. I'm going to say Skype destroys Voice.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Why windows Phone? Certainly Galaxy Note, GS3, and Droid Razrs are solid devices and for obvious reasons the Google ecosystem works a lot better with those phone than any WPs
Maybe because the poster likes Windows Phone.....and last I checked, there is no law suggesting you have to use all of one company's products and services

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Want to kill my gmail account as well. Question. What happens to my youtube account? Not really much of an alternative to youtube I dont think. Since I got a WP a year ago I have been using hotmail more. I have transferred all my contacts to hotmail. How do I get an email folder though? I have hundreds of emails I need to get off the google servers. Do I have to forward each one to my hotmail account?

Hi,

According to this description, it is possible:

Tutorial How to bypass Google Gmail verification without cell phone!! - YouTube

Haven't tried it myself, though, so I can't confirm it works. (I still have, for some reasons unknown to me, an old youtube account linked to my yahoo mail ... I'll keep it until I'll find an alternative. I'll try out vimeo, I guess.)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

I enjoy google's ecosystem a lot. I've used google mail since it was invite only. I use Google Calendar to sync research meetings and such. Yet I have a windows phone. I also have a macbook air and a nexus 7 tablet. It's not one or the other now. You can be cross platform.

Not anymore, you can't. Google's tightened the locks on the gate to the Google Walled Garden, and aggressively implemented proprietary standards like its fork of IMAP and DAV, as well as changed APIs to make third party client access to YouTube break (yet again).

If you want a usable Google experience, you HAVE to run software from Google. If you run software not from Google, you either won't get a good experience (Gmail) or it won't work at all (YouTube).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss