WP8 to replace my WP 7 soon --> good idea to move from hotmail to outlook now?

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Hope I'm not asking something that 100 people have asked before!

My new WP8 device will arrive any day (Tuesday, to be exact). My WP 7 device is linked to a oldstyle hotmail account. I've never changed to an outlook account as It would have meant to re-setup my wp7-device and I didn't want to do that.

Is getting my new device a good moment to finally change to outlook.com? If yes: Will my contacts, calendar entries and purchases (apps) be transferred?

(I don't mind resetting up my WP7 device once my new WP8 proves to be error-free ...)

Cheers

Luminatic

VanillaFrog

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I transferred mine to outlook ages ago and everything transfers over just fine. I would suggest migrating just before setting up your new phone.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i think the only bad thing that would come out of migrating is that you could loose your grandfathered skydrive storage.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
@jasqid ... unfortunately I don't have that lovely huge grandfathered skydrive storage. I joined WP too late for that ;-) But I don't put much data to skydrive anyway.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer the outlook.com domain, I moved to outlook the day I got my WP8 device and have been quite happy with the decision

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Outlook is just a new front-end layer for Hotmail. I'd transfer ASAP.

(Though for some stupid reason, Windows Phone 8 doesn't recognize Outlook.com as a Live.com account and sets it up as an IMAP address without calendar or contacts, unless you set it up manually. Dumb, dumb, dumb.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999