It's been a week now. WTH is the update for the 8X, Microsoft?!?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly, WP8 was going to usher in a new era of fast and prompt updates.

Unlocked 8X users have been enjoying the stability and feature update of the WP8 update for a week now, as well as a firmware update.

Those of us on AT&T? A week later, still no update.

Wasn't WP8 supposed to be easy to update and carrier-independent? Yet here we are, a week after the release, with no update. This is more Android-like than anything else.

Apple releases its update to everyone, all at once, with perhaps a couple of hours separating people around the globe. Meanwhile, Microsoft cannot even push the update to 8Xes on AT&T a week later?

Get it together, Redmond. Get the update out NOW.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
You're complaining about a week? Patience.

We don't know if there were issues in the OTA update that went out last week.

Windows Phone 8 hit, what? Just over a month ago? It's not like we've had to suffer with this version of the OS for ages on end. I would much rather see Microsoft take a little while longer to provide a flawless OTA update.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It's been four days, not a week. And if you remember MS's first update to WP7, it didn't go so well. This time they're rolling it out slowly to make sure there are no issues before it goes widespread.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
According to the Keynote WP8 handsets would be free from Carriers for roughly 18months.

I already got the update in the beginning as my 8X handset is unlocked and unbranded.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It's been almost a week.

And no, "patience" isn't an appropriate answer.

If Apple can roll out updates in a timely way, globally, so can Microsoft.

That's the new standard. Right now, timely updates, no delays and seamless.

Currently, this is just as atrocious an update cycle as what we had with WP7... not the promised improvement that Microsoft touted in 8.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So was Microsoft fibbing when they claimed that WP8 updates were carrier-independent?

Microsoft delivers first over-the-air update for Windows Phone 8 | ZDNet

A spokesperson sent the following statement: “We’re working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved and rolled out. Some customers are starting to receive the update now.”

If Windows Phone 8 updates are still dependent on carrier partner testing, approval and roll-outs, AT&T and Verizon customers are screwed. It took HTC users on AT&T six months to get Tango. Verizon skips major updates altogether -- the last couple of webOS updates for the Pre 2 and Pre Plus never reached end users.

I hope this is incorrect, because if it isn't, then this will make it very difficult for Windows Phone 8 to achieve any sort of competitive parity with iOS.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Could people PLEASE stop apologizing for this poor performance?

It's painful.

It's like people saying "your e-mail will get there eventually, be patient, you don't need more than e-mail refresh every two hours."

I want an experience that is competitive with iOS. When iOS releases an update, it goes out immediately to everyone.

An update process that isn't instantaneous isn't competitive with iOS. Period.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
And if the update does require carrier approval, it means that some people might get it next week, while others may not get it until June, and still others may not EVER get it. That's HORRIBLE.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked 8X users have been enjoying the stability and feature update of the WP8 update for a week now, as well as a firmware update.

Wait. I thought carrier units got updates before their unlocked counterparts. So you mean the opposite is true?

Nice!! Unlocked beotches!!!! Now what???

Wooooo!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want an experience that is competitive with iOS. When iOS releases an update, it goes out immediately to everyone.

So go get an iOS phone already then, and quit your whinging. If anything keeps WP8 from succeeding, it's going to be all the bellyaching from impatient early adopters who want a mature OS's features, apps, and stability. "Wah, my update isn't here after a week. Wah, WhatsApp isn't ready. Wah, there's no Instagram. Wah, why didn't MS do exactly what I wanted, how I wanted, and when I wanted?"

Ye gads.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, that is what will happen. All the 8X owners who are in their return window and suffering from the frequent reboot bug will just give up, go back to their carrier, and get an iPhone.

Later, when friends talk about Windows Phone 8, they'll say "don't get one. I had one, it had a reboot bug, and they refused to push the update out in a timely way. I returned it for an iPhone and I get timely updates now."

And on WPCentral, the top thread will be "High return rates and 3% share... Why are we so behind."

Good enough isn't good enough. Microsoft has to get things perfect. Your low standards in this, if embraced by Microsoft, will keep WP in the little leagues.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Its been explained that they doing a slow roll to confirm there are no issues, like with nodo. I would prefer it comes out working well than have it blow up a bunch of phones, which would be a much bigger PR mess imo.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That explains it. I was wondering what that stampede sound was... turns out it's hundreds of thousands of HTC and Nokia owners scrambling to return their phones within the 14 day window due to random reboots and not having a schedule for a fix beyond some mealy-mouthed "soon" and "shut the **** up and take it" rhetoric... :eck:

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol, how long do you have to wait in between or for an Apple update?

Android updates with carriers you have no idea and have delays all the time.

Welcome to owning a smartphone.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, does MS sell unlocked Lumias and HTC's in their brick-and-mortar stores in the mall? And if so, will those still be carrier dependent on OTA updates once you stick a sim card from your carrier in it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers