Local vs remote song library

lemixtape88

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
All of my songs that are on my PC are mirrored online through the Windows 8 Music App. This means that I can play any song I want from my home library even if it is not stored locally on my phone.The problem is that I am often in the subway or in trips abroad with limited connectivity and the Music app on my Windows Phone 8 (HTC 8X) is going through my tens of thousands of songs and fails to play almost all of them as I have only a few hundred songs on my phone.

Is there a way on Windows Phone 8 to see a list of all the songs that are locally on the phone instead of those that are on the phone AND those that are in the cloud?

Gadgetman110

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying you can access your personal library that you have ripped on your PC at home? Or is this music you have purchased from Xbox? I can "see" all my home music via Windows Media Player on my laptop. Sure would be cool to be able to access it from my phone also!

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Music+Videos app, click on music, then flick over to Songs. At the top there should be "All" listed in green. You can select this and a list should come up that says:
Choose A Category
All
Phone
Cloud collection

If you choose Phone then you should be able to play all your locally stored music.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
There is no other way? It seems like a pain to enable/disable the service...

The switch is instantaneous. Besides, it's not turning off the service completely, just turning off the service on your phone. I have it set to "off" on my phone, but "on" with my Surface, home, and work computers.

For your situation, when I went into a low service area, I would just turn it off before playing music. Should probably take you 5 seconds. Once you hit a good service area, turn it back on.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Music+Videos app, click on music, then flick over to Songs. At the top there should be "All" listed in green. You can select this and a list should come up that says:
Choose A Category
All
Phone
Cloud collection

If you choose Phone then you should be able to play all your locally stored music.

That just changes the view. Your cloud music will still be played in the mix.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I don't have any locally stored music to test this but I thought it would work. So when you change the view and pick a local song to play it will still mix in your cloud music? It sucks Microsoft didn't spend some more time designing the media management capabilities of the OS. Everything looks really nice but there are some basic functions that are missing or not very straight forward.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Choose A Category
All
Phone
Cloud collection

Awesome, now how do I get my music stored locally on my phone? I hate trying to play a song and it says "opening" because I guess it's streaming the music. I want to be able to click on a song and it play immediately. It's not as easy as connecting my phone to the pc and dragging and dropping my music onto my phone, is it? Nokia 822

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

You're correct. I just confirmed that as I didn't believe it would do that. If you display only "phone" music it will still play cloud as well if you click the "play music" button or just play a song from the song list. Oversight on MSs part.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is actually. There is a Music folder on the Phone when you open it through Windows Explorer.

Ha! I tried this right after I asked the question and it worked. Man, I had seen so many negative comments on how WP8 handles syncing the music to your phone from the PC, I hadn't even attempted the drag and drop. I had told myself it wouldn't be that easy. I'm loving this Nokia 822 more every day. Honestly, I wasn't too keen on switching to WP8 so soon, but I've been able to find a workaround for almost every short-coming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb