Playing Videos on Skydrive

At the beach

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Shot a couple of videos recently on my Lumia 920 and went to view them on my desktop via Skydrive and hit a snag. Well 2 snags I guess, let me back up. First, although I set my phone to download all pics/video from my camera roll to Skydrive in full definition, it appears that only photos download automatically. For videos, I have to click on it and select share to sky drive, and it eventually does. Question 1, is there a way for video to be downloaded automatically too?

Second, once I got the video onto my desktop, I went to view it on Skydrive and it would only play back at a super slow speed (almost like a frame by frame), although it sounded like the audio was normal. How do I get it to play normally?

Sorry, I'm seen this topic raised in a couple of different posts, but hadn't seen a solution. If this has been covered elsewhere, please just let me know, thanks!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Under the backup settings, it tells you that for videos you need to be on WiFi in order to upload them. I haven't played mine on my desktop lately, so I haven't seen what you're talking about. So I'm thinking, no WiFi no automatic upload. I could be wrong though.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Depends on where you try to play the video, I think. When I try to view a SkyDrive video using Chrome, I get this message: "It looks like this video's corrupt or not supported by your browser." In FireFox and IE10, the video plays only after it has fully loaded.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Depends on where you try to play the video, I think. When I try to view a SkyDrive video using Chrome, I get this message: "It looks like this video's corrupt or not supported by your browser." In FireFox and IE10, the video plays only after it has fully loaded.
I agree. I just uploaded some video to SkyDrive and they play great when I access them from my 822.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a Windows 8 PC who can confirm if the videos uploaded to SkyDrive play good on it? They play flawlessly on my 822 but are really choppy on my netbook running Windows 7. My other PC is even worse since it runs on Windows XP. Therefore, I can't even upgrade to the latest version of IE.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Did u use the highest video setting to record ur video? If so, that's ur problem. Ur PC can't decode it if it is on the low end. My wife can play my videos but my laptop struggles to play them at 1080. Its a high compression audio codec causing the video to lag.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Did u use the highest video setting to record ur video? If so, that's ur problem. Ur PC can't decode it if it is on the low end. My wife can play my videos but my laptop struggles to play them at 1080. Its a high compression audio codec causing the video to lag.
Thanks. Actually, this are videos that I took with my BlackBerry PlayBook. Yes they're 1080p videos then. Have them stored in my netbook and uploaded some of them to SkyDrive. Any suggestions?

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a Windows 8 room that I have set up with two other Lumia 920 users and find videos they share via Skydrive recorded on their Lumias fail to play in the room or through Skydrive via the web. The only way I can get them to play is to use the WP8 skydrive app.

At the beach

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to follow up (thanks for all the replies!), I think I figured out what was going on, at least for me. For reference, I am trying to play videos on a desktop running Vista. I needed to wait until the entire video buffered, which at least on my computer could take several minutes. At that point, it would run fine. Anything prior, it would be extremely choppy. Hope this helps, and I assume it would be faster for those running Windows 8.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
i am trying to play video on firefox/linux & i get an error mesage "there is a problem with the video, try downloading it and playing", i have uploaded these from my Lumia 920, any help will be appreciated.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
uploaded HD video from Lumia 920 to SkyDrive, video plays fine on my phone, when I play them on SkyDrive (IE) they are awful, its like playing a slide show, the videos don't play on chrome either. how does MS expect us to use SkyDrive to share the videos. There is no buffering either, at least buffering would be better.

Apand21

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Just to follow up (thanks for all the replies!), I think I figured out what was going on, at least for me. For reference, I am trying to play videos on a desktop running Vista. I needed to wait until the entire video buffered, which at least on my computer could take several minutes. At that point, it would run fine. Anything prior, it would be extremely choppy. Hope this helps, and I assume it would be faster for those running Windows 8.

--
Hey there, just have been researching this issue like crazy, after returning from a set of wedding affairs, & trying to use my Skydrive. Same issue for me, & you described it rather well. Except I have a Lumia 822, and I am also running Vista. But what scared me was:
1) The playback was also an issue after trying to "download" then see if Quicktime or WMP supporting Mp4 (the format they put it in) would play it.
and

2) What really gets me is, we pay all this top dollar for nice equip, and the app's they themselves chose as our " cloud network" have so much trouble playing these videos.

Okay so just to make sure, you let yours buffer all the way then tried? See I feel like I've tried that, and it still plays choppy! The sound is more or less fine, but the frame rate is so slow. In addition I've DL'd all their suggestions, Silverlight, tried both IE & Firefox (IE is even worse, cause just like you, I have Vista and it barely supports Live.com products in the first place, unless you gave IE 10) I was also wondering if this could be caused by running out the of 7GB free storage space? Or perhaps, if downloading the files doesn't fix the problem using Quicktime, that the high resolution just simply can NOT be played on Vista?

Did you ever find out what Codec we could possibly try to DL? If you could shed more light on how this has been going for you, I'd be greatful! I started using Skydrive as it's what my phone naturally uploads to. But if I have to Download content BACK onto my CPU then worry about format & codec issues...well, it's just very disappointing ya know?

Thanks for your time! Any help would be much appreciated !

Apand21

May 30, 2013
Visit site
~ Another question I have, if anyone could please offer some insight & solution;

Does Skydrive & all of it's offerings (or at least just the Lumia phone > upload pics & videos to Skydrive > then be able to play via Skydrive's cloud network & share to other email (non-Live accounts, or non Windows users) even WORK for somebody using Vista?

I have Windows Vistas, can't upgrade @ moment to Windows 8, or anything better then Vista (I've heard 7 sucks, so Vista is best for now) AND...I have a Nokia Lumia phone.... Which besides it's primary power applications (camera, playback, players, big apps,which all work well) which all work well, and it's a decent phone BUT- has numerous minor issues!

One of them being this thing with Skydrive! Or maybe thats just Vista? Either way, I'm at my phone's capacity and MUST be able to contine using Skydrive!

I just don't understand why they make a Windows phone, brag about it's cross-platform usage, give us Skydrive as the chosen "Cloud application free" but then it has MAJOR problems playing back anything we upload!

Thanks , any help on any of these ^^^ areas would be more then appreciated! Likewise, if I can offer helpful info let me know!

~ AP

Apand21

May 30, 2013
Visit site
(Important) Oh 1 more quick question question ( IMPORTANT)

Re: The Vista playback issue-
You said that it fixed itself if you let it buffer right? Well, since it just starts playing when I click the thumbnaill, ...HOW do I let it " buffer"fully?"

A) Do I let it run through, all the way, choppy & freezing? Sound is fine, but like u say...no video smoothness....and then? Just restart or refresh the page?
OR
B) Do I pause the "time elapsed" indicator, & then , once the bar buffers all the way, just reload? Re-start? What...

Cause one of the problems is, once you start messing with the "time elapsed indicator" or reset it, or pause it...then it gets worse, and freezes up for me more!

Thanks again!

Apand21

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Btw, I just tried your method. Sadly, it did not work for me. Letting it buffer all the way does nothing.

It's a shame, I can see the picture (meaning the frozen video, and the quality of resolution is EXCELLENT) and the sound is perfect, but...it just can't play properly!

I'm at my wits end here...need a solution to this! Also, will this do the same thing on other folk's computers? Or if they have above Vista, or a MAC, it will play at 1080p?

Thanks again lol...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
~ Another question I have, if anyone could please offer some insight & solution;

Does Skydrive & all of it's offerings (or at least just the Lumia phone > upload pics & videos to Skydrive > then be able to play via Skydrive's cloud network & share to other email (non-Live accounts, or non Windows users) even WORK for somebody using Vista?

Yes, you can do this. You place the videos or whatever you want to share in your 'Public' folder (or change the permission on another folder) then press down until the menu comes up and press Share -> send link in an email.

I have Windows Vistas, can't upgrade @ moment to Windows 8, or anything better then Vista (I've heard 7 sucks, so Vista is best for now) AND...I have a Nokia Lumia phone.... Which besides it's primary power applications (camera, playback, players, big apps,which all work well) which all work well, and it's a decent phone BUT- has numerous minor issues!

No idea who told you Win 7 sucks but they have no idea what they're talking about and you shouldn't listen to them, it's actually one of the best versions of Windows. Vista is classified as one of the worst Windows versions around. Win 8 is good but it has some teething issues still. However I use Win 8 at home and love it.

One of them being this thing with Skydrive! Or maybe thats just Vista? Either way, I'm at my phone's capacity and MUST be able to contine using Skydrive!

Not sure what your issues with storage are. You can attach your phone to your comptuer and it acts like USB storage that you can access. I can do this on my work computer and it's Xp. You can then copy the stuff from there (pictures, videos and documents) to your computer. Skydrive needs WiFi connected on your phone to move things efficently to it. One of my biggest issues with cloud storage.

I just don't understand why they make a Windows phone, brag about it's cross-platform usage, give us Skydrive as the chosen "Cloud application free" but then it has MAJOR problems playing back anything we upload!

Thanks , any help on any of these ^^^ areas would be more then appreciated! Likewise, if I can offer helpful info let me know!

~ AP

With regards to your issues of playback I noticed that the format the video is saved in is MP4. You haven't mentioned what you're using for playback and if you have the right codecs for it. I would suggest downloading VLC player and trying that. (I would provide the link but I'm at work and can't go to the site, just Google it) If you still have issues then it's possible your WiFi connection has issues, which is a whole other conversation.

johnny77777

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
This is not an internet connection problem, this is a SkyDrive problem that many users are complaining about in the MS SkyDrive forums, myself included.

I've had the same issue of not being able to cleanly play any of my 720p and 1080p HD video shot from a Nokia Lumia without buffering. Same problem for my friends and family when i share the videos. Because of this I've completely stopped using SkyDrive to share anything.

Same videos when uploaded to my YouTube and Flickr accounts play in HD and cleanly. Microsoft unfortunately is sitting around doing nothing on this issue it appears.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium