What is difference between .live and .outlook?

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my windows phone about a month ago, I registered on my email with a @live.com ending. I know realize that 'live' is outdated and @outlook.com is being used more. What should I do? Should I make a new email address with @outlook.com? Why does microsoft have so many email endings??!!

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
.msn/.hotmail are outdated. but isn't .live outdated also? I'm unsure whether I should make a new email address with .outlook...my windowsphone is synced with my .live account though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
There is no reason to change your email address unless you want to. The hotmail.com and live.com addresses will function the same way. In fact, if you do decide to change your email address to an outlook.com address rather than using an alias, you'll have to reset you Windows Phone to factory settings. Outlook compare to hotmail - Microsoft Outlook

Get a new Outlook email address for your Hotmail account - Microsoft Windows

I only recently created the account though when I bought my windowsphone, like a few weeks ago. Why would it let me make a new account on the .live address which is outdated? I don't want to reset my windows phone to factory settings but I also don't think it's a good idea to keep an outdated email ending.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I only recently created the account though when I bought my windowsphone, like a few weeks ago. Why would it let me make a new account on the .live address which is outdated? I don't want to reset my windows phone to factory settings but I also don't think it's a good idea to keep an outdated email ending.

It's up to you. I really do not care about the ending of the email address, but that's just me.

I used to have AT&T as my ISP, and my email address ended in @sbcglobal.net since it was SBC, not AT&T when I signed up for service. I did change it to @att.net.

On the other hand, one of my friends had AT&T as his ISP long before I did. His email address ended in @att.net. In the time period he's had AT&T, he would have needed to change to @ameritech.net, @sbcglobal.net and back to @att.net if he wanted to keep the ending of the email address "current". That just would have confused all his contacts. As it turned out, he never changed it, and what is current now was what was current years back.

I now prefer not changing my email address, since I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of my contacts needing to update their address books.

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
and connected to this in my windowsphone I see Microsoft account with my live address, but I also have to add a .live account just for email?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Windows Live was their last generation branding for all things Microsoft online. It was even the name for their search before it got re-branded Bing. I still use live.com because it's simple, short and easy to type, but outlook.com is simply the latest domain used for their email service, but hotmail.com and live.com still work through the same portal with no other differences.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The "Outlook" setting in Windows Phone is for setting up an Exchange/Office 365 email account (corporate email). Set Up Exchange ActiveSync E-Mail on Windows Phone

That's not entirely true. It's also an Outlook.com email.

All old emails addresses (.hotmail and .live) from MS are now part of Outlook.com. So you can keep using your old email address if you want. I would personally get an Outlook.com email simply for the Outlook icon for email. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's not entirely true. It's also an Outlook.com email.

All old emails addresses (.hotmail and .live) from MS are now part of Outlook.com. So you can keep using your old email address if you want. I would personally get an Outlook.com email simply for the Outlook icon for email. :)

The other option is adding an outlook.com alias and using that in lieu of hotmail or live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans