Waste of screen real estate

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you hate "wasted space," just be glad you never picked up a Zune.

I LOVE how all of this design for Microsoft these days comes from that cherished device.

Bryan_J

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to say I have come to really appreciate white space in the last few years. The 'metro' (or modern, whatever it is called) style has even made me take a look at the reports we produce at work - they're all so jammed with stuff... more, more, more. I've come to see that more isn't necessarily better and really appreciate the space in this UI and, yes, the oversized text in some cases.

That said, I imagine lots of people won't find this UI to their liking and that's just as valid a position as my appreciation of it. Luckily all of us have options - and much as I enjoy the phone and OS, Xbox Music is making me look at other options....but that's a whole other thread (or dozen threads) lol. [Mini hijack!]

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You must hate the Swiss:
swiss.jpg

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
That looks ****ing awesome xD.

On topic, this is a preference. Believe it or not this is something you should consider when buying a phone. Personally I live the OS, its clean, modern and makes me feel like I'm nit having everything thrown at me like in Android. I checked plenty of iOS apps with my coworkers iPhone, Nd if you look at it the top nav bar and the bottom bar in combination take up alot of the same screen real estate.

What really amazes me though is how lazy we're becoming that we dint even want to scroll to see more content.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow, as a programmer who worked in a UX shop I find this interesting. I think thethe screen break downs with pixels and real-estate descriptors are very sweet. Ultimately, it can go back to what type of flow works though, and WP8 definitely works.

Laurence Hansen

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I find it interesting that I make more typing errors on my Nokia Lumia 920 than on my wife's iPhone. In my case, the smaller keyboard and smaller device in general mean my fingers have a shorter distance to move from letter to letter. This applies whether I am typing with one index finger or cradling the device in both hands and using two thumbs.

I realize everybody's different but my vote would be to go for a slightly smaller keyboard so I'm stretching less to move from one key to another.

Just MHO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo