Any hope on the social networking front? Coming up on my deadline to return....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
a deal-breaker it is.

I disagree. I have doubts there is anyone out there who is going "oooo... when windows phone gets instagram, I'm getting one!!" If you have a brand loyalty to it, you likely have an even greater brand loyalty to the bigger brands... apple and google.

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What did you hope to accomplish? That we here at wpcentral forums would magically make your messaging hub show your precious facebook message history from the website? Really?You came to complain, simple as that.
Um, no, I came to ask whether or not Facebook was planning to develop its own app for WP, and got jumped on for not being satisfied with messaging as it is.

jdom

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
i still don't understand why some apps are so important that people rather return a phone they love than live with it.
Amazing!!!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Brand loyality? Not even close. Brand loyality is like me only driving Fords. Even though I only drive Fords, guess what, I can still pick up my friends and we can hang out, even if they own Chevys. However, if 5 of my friends use Hipstergram and I move to Windows Phone, we can't "hang out." It would totally be a deal breaker for some people and I wouldn't blame them no matter how silly we think Hipstergram is.

Hard core fanboys are not going to switch to WP just because it gets Hipstergram, but there are tons and tons of people that are not fanboys (a higher percentage on Android then iOS) and they may choose another platform if they don't have what they want. At such a small marketshare right now, we can use everybody we can get. I've been messing with my GS3 today to test out Google Now and I'm already sick of it again, I wish I wouldn't have left my 822 at home... :(

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
i still don't understand why some apps are so important that people rather return a phone they love than live with it.
Amazing!!!

I'm with you, but there is a large group out there that are obsessed with taking pictures of random things, and posting it hoping they get random people they will never meet to comment on it. :) Or at least that's how I think it works.. I don't use it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
there are tons and tons of people that are not fanboys (a higher percentage on Android then iOS) and they may choose another platform if they don't have what they want. At such a small marketshare right now, we can use everybody we can get.

Uhm... *blink, blink*... yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. Did I say something insinuating otherwise?

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So about the original topic... since no one really has any encouraging news, I'm just going to trial out the 8x for another week or so. But this time, no cheating... no e-mailing myself photos when I want to instagram, or switching sims when I want reliable facebook chat on the go, etc. If I really can't deal, it's going back... I'm just going to assume the worst and that we're never going to get a real facebook or instagram app. Not worth the risk of getting stuck with the phone for 2 years if there hasn't been any official word.

But if I can live without them, great!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So about the original topic... since no one really has any encouraging news, I'm just going to trial out the 8x for another week or so. But this time, no cheating... no e-mailing myself photos when I want to instagram, or switching sims when I want reliable facebook chat on the go, etc. If I really can't deal, it's going back... I'm just going to assume the worst and that we're never going to get a real facebook or instagram app. Not worth the risk of getting stuck with the phone for 2 years if there hasn't been any official word.

But if I can live without them, great!

Nothing wrong with that. If the things that are important to you don't work right, then you totally ened to go with what works for you. If you do go back, hopefully we'll see you down the road someday.

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you just download the Facebook app for WP if this really annoys you so much? Why does not having a history annoy you so much anyway?

Facebook | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Don't feel like arguing with someone who obviously hasn't read the thread, but here: The facebook app for WP is made by MS, not facebook, so it's lacking many basic features like chat. It is not comparable to what is offered on other platforms.

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with that. If the things that are important to you don't work right, then you totally ened to go with what works for you. If you do go back, hopefully we'll see you down the road someday.
I saw that Nokia actually has a new phone coming out q1 2013... the 620? Looks really small and compact. If I return it and WP does end up getting the apps, I'd definitely go for that!

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I know you said you don't like the ms fb app and it isn't official from facebook.. but I mean it has "chat" in the message inbox since it is the same thing... as said above you can pin that to your start screen and youll have your chat history and chat via that..

I don't know if facebook will make an official app or what not but I know ms jus recently updated the fb app for win 8 with some bug fixes and stability issues and with all the updatex we've seen from ms and nokia so far with wp8 being not even 2 months yet, I would like to think they will get those features soon though again there is no official word on anything.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, there are obviously a lot of people out there who would disagree with you... And most of them aren't going to be on this forum, because as soon as they walk into AT&T or whatever and hear WP doesn't have things like instagram, they're not even going to bother. I'm one of the few that's open minded. So yeah... do you want to be using a niche platform that everyone gives up on in a few years? Or do you want to be using a successful OS with tons of support (both third party and MS) for years to come? If the latter, they have to give consumers the biggest variety of options of what they can do with their phone.

That's not what I'm asking for at all. I didn't even have my old facebook app set to push notification because that's not what I was looking for (I agree, it would be annoying to have every device going off at once).

All I want is when I open up my "conversation" with a person, I want it to be able to display all the previous messages in that conversation. With the iPhone and Android facebook and facebook messenger apps that's possible, because they all download the messages directly from Facebook's servers each time you open it up. You don't get a new "ding" for each old message, because it knows that you've already read them through another medium. WP's chat integration is unable to do that (probably because they're just working with the public API as opposed to having facebook develop for them). Which would be FINE, if there were an app that could. Just give us both options... the integration for people who want it, and the full facebook experience through an app for people who want that.

What are you talking about? Mine does that. I see the same Facebook conversation on my Windows 8 PC as I do on my phone. AND, when I actually use the browser version occasionally, I can the conversation there.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't feel like arguing with someone who obviously hasn't read the thread, but here: The facebook app for WP is made by MS, not facebook, so it's lacking many basic features like chat. It is not comparable to what is offered on other platforms.

They don't have chat in the FB App because its BUILT INTO THE PHONE. You just go to your messaging hub and the Facebook option is there. Why would MS duplicate a Facebook Chat in the app and built into the phone.

Sounds like you just need to go back to iOS then. Everyone else here is happy. Even those of us who have used iOS often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo