Any hope on the social networking front? Coming up on my deadline to return....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarettp

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't feel like arguing with someone who obviously hasn't read the thread, but here: The facebook app for WP is made by MS, not facebook, so it's lacking many basic features like chat. It is not comparable to what is offered on other platforms.
all you need it for is reading the history for some reason. You can use the messaging app for chat. I don't see the issue here. I hated using chat in the Facebook app. especially that ****ty Facebook app on the iphone.

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? Mine does that. I see the same Facebook conversation on my Windows 8 PC as I do on my phone. AND, when I actually use the browser version occasionally, I can the conversation there.
I don't think you understand. Try sending a message to someone from your computer on facebook's website... it will NOT show up in WP's messaging app because it's not designed to work in that way. This isn't a questionable issue... it's fact. The only debate is whether or not it's important. It is to me.

They don't have chat in the FB App because its BUILT INTO THE PHONE. You just go to your messaging hub and the Facebook option is there. Why would MS duplicate a Facebook Chat in the app and built into the phone.

Sounds like you just need to go back to iOS then. Everyone else here is happy. Even those of us who have used iOS often.
It's "built into the phone", but not in a functional way (e.g. there's no conversation history). Sorry, not going to bother responding to you any more since you obviously can't be bothered to read the thread.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel like arguing with someone who obviously hasn't read the thread, but here: The facebook app for WP is made by MS, not facebook, so it's lacking many basic features like chat. It is not comparable to what is offered on other platforms.

Here's what you do:
1. Download the Facebook app for WP8
2. Sign into your account etc
3. Let it sync yada yada
4. When on your "News Feed" swipe to the right
5. Touch "Messages"
6. You should see all your chats with history etc. It's called "Messages" in the WP app, not "Chat."

If it doesn't work for you, not sure what to tell you, cuz it works for me. But I normally just use the built in messaging for me cuz I switch from FB to text all the time as people move about...

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I know you said you don't like the ms fb app and it isn't official from facebook.. but I mean it has "chat" in the message inbox since it is the same thing... as said above you can pin that to your start screen and youll have your chat history and chat via that..

I don't know if facebook will make an official app or what not but I know ms jus recently updated the fb app for win 8 with some bug fixes and stability issues and with all the updatex we've seen from ms and nokia so far with wp8 being not even 2 months yet, I would like to think they will get those features soon though again there is no official word on anything.
It's not really "chat" it's just (ostensibly offline) messages. I'm aware that you can send messages regardless of your status, but it's not as seamless as a real-time, updating chat log.

The updated app is a lot smoother, but still doesn't have chat.

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's what you do:
1. Download the Facebook app for WP8
2. Sign into your account etc
3. Let it sync yada yada
4. When on your "News Feed" swipe to the right
5. Touch "Messages"
6. You should see all your chats with history etc. It's called "Messages" in the WP app, not "Chat."
But that's messages, not chat. There is a difference.

I want to be able to go online, chat with my friends, and see the entire conversation history within one "app" or "space." Other than the fim app I'm looking to download, this is impossible in any official way on WP. This is well established, do a search.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not really "chat" it's just (ostensibly offline) messages. I'm aware that you can send messages regardless of your status, but it's not as seamless as a real-time, updating chat log.

Try IM+ app then.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I want to be able to go online, chat with my friends, and see the entire conversation history within one "app" or "space." Other than the fim app I'm looking to download, this is impossible in any official way on WP. This is well established, do a search.

What phone are you using? This doesn't make sense. I see my whole history in the messages screen of the app. I can write a reply and it will show up, and I see replies in real time. Is your complaint that it takes a few seconds between messages showing? I don't know why you are saying messages is different from chat other than they are different words. Show me the link, otherwise I have no clue what you mean by "do a search."

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Try IM+ app then.
Haven't heard of that, but I'll look into it. I am open to trying out other options.

Doesn't change the fact that it's impossible to do within the WP "facebook" app or WP's messaging. Don't understand why people are still trying to convince me that isn't true lol.

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you using? This doesn't make sense. I see my whole history in the messages screen of the app. I can write a reply and it will show up, and I see replies in real time. Is your complaint that it takes a few seconds between messages showing? I don't know why you are saying messages is different from chat other than they are different words. Show me the link, otherwise I have no clue what you mean by "do a search."
My complaint is that when I want to log on to facebook chat, I want to log onto facebook chat. I want to use their IM service in the way it was intended to be used. I don't want to be sending "messages" that will confuse my friends because they're not sure if I'm actually online or not.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Considering Instagram is now going to license your pictures for the highest dollar, I could giv ea crap if it ever comes to WP, but that crap probably just guaranteed that it will so they can foist as many pictures from people as possible.
you can go into the Facebook app and pin a messaging tile to the start screen.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

You should tell facebook that there is a difference because they did a whole event where they talked about there being no difference now. If you send a message and someone is online it pops up in their chat window, if not it goes to inbox or vice versa. It is their unified messaging system.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Just return the 8X and get a BlackBerry 10 when it comes out. Instagram is coming for sure on it, Facebook will have a solid app for it from the 1st day, a stable android version of whatsapp can be side loaded on to it, multitasking is solid on it, android apps can be side loaded.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

what i guess i don't really understand is you are saying the messaging isn't chat (while technically it is but we can look past that for now) but you have a chat feature on the phone.

in your example, you are saying that if you are on the computer and you are on facebook chat with someone, the messages you send do not show up on the messaging text app on the phone.. while their replies do show up (this is the case with me at least). However, if you transition to the phone for on the go, you can message from the app and it will show and then it will also reflect on facebook itself. The history is saved and viewable anytime from the facebook app by microsoft.

you say that it's not streamlined (the messaging app) like a chat program but if you are trying to chat from your phone, why are you using the messaging portion of the facebook app and not the messaging app that is on the phone? I guess you are looking for a unified answer (though facebook chat and the facebook app are also 2 seperate things on iOS even though it does show your message updates via the facebook app itself. I know this coming form an iphone 4S myself) but that is just not the case in Windows Phone.. and as many are showing here, it doesn't seem to be a major issue for most current windows phone users, just some getting used it.

If you can still view your history from the facebook app itself, i guess i don't see why you also need it in the messaging app. If you are looking to reference a previous statement or something, you can still go into the facebook app and copy / paste the messages (or screenshot or whatever) you want and use it that way, or to read all of your messages on the go.

Im not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't understand what you are trying to ask for since you are asking for features to be in 1 app that are located in another app. Since Microsoft made both apps, they know what both of them have and made them work in that way and not duplicate the feature.

I will admit that sometimes it's odd that im talking to someone on FB chat on the computer and when i check my phone later, i see all of the messages they sent me and none of my replies, but i still have my replies they are just in another app tile a few inches away. Just a difference in how you access it really. I personally wish that only if im talking to the person on my phone on FB chat that their messages would show up in the messaging app on my phone and maybe someday we will both get what we want via a settings option.

Heck I want the messaging app to support more chat programs like skype too :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Messaging actually isn't really chat. It's just an inbox. To be a chat, it really needs to show you the list of people that are online, like every other chat app would do.

UPDATE: Though if you are chatting with somebody on the computer and want to switch to the phone, that is a valid use of the messaging page since you know they are still online.

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
FIM seems to work pretty well when you're in the app... it's darn near instant chat. (The ad's suck, I wish I could pay to get rid of them.. free only...)

There doesn't seem to be any toasts to let me know I have a message though when I'm not in it. Still playing with it...

ticktock5

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Just got back from returning my 8X. So sad to say bye to such a beautiful phone. I waited right up until the last day to return too. WP seems like such a great idea in theory but practically you can't have a functional ecosystem without third party support.

I'm sick of iOS but I guess I'll have to stick with it until facebook/Google/etc start supporting WP or something interesting comes out for Android.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's utter bollocks claiming the app eco system isn't there. The Facebook app is better than iOS now it's been updated and actually working, and although the official Twitter app is crap there are brilliant alternatives. The only things WP is really missing is TV media.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This thread is now officially closed. I will say this though, returning a phone because an app isn't available will not help for that app to become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos