Will music with no DRM that worked on Zune work on WP* and Xbox music?

Jonathon West

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading about Xbox music and how bad it is, I am now very worried that all the stuff that I had on my Zune, and WP7 handset will not work on my new Lumia 920.... Please help.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If it has no DRM and is just an unprotected mp3 or aac file you are fine, sync and it will play. Also I don't find Xbox music on the phone any worse than Zune was, still the same features, it's just the PC app that needs to be updated. I have been quite happy with Xbox music so far, especially cloud-synced playlists

Jonathon West

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just think it is cazy that the bothered to dump Zune, it should have been supported along side the other ways to sync. I love that software, I have been using it since 2007. Thakyou for the info though, I am now going less crazy.

Are there any good podcast apps on wp8? I am pretty worried about the lack of Podcast support too, as a Canadian user I lost the ability to play and download podcasts over the air with WP7 last update.

Last edited:

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The two best ones in my opinion are Podcasts! and Slapdash Podcasts. Frankly Podcasts! is the better app overall, but I have a Surface and windows 8 PC and Slapdash has Windows 8/RT app that syncs subscriptions and episode status so that is what I use.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Aac files work just fine, they just need to be ripped at 256k or less. Wp7 had the same limitation.

Zune converted in incompatible files to mp3. The new app doesn't.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

rebaser

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Aac files from itunes match will not play on the xbox (due to non-standard metadata in the file) but they seem to play fine on my wp

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Aac files work just fine, they just need to be ripped at 256k or less. Wp7 had the same limitation.

Zune converted in incompatible files to mp3. The new app doesn't.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Even after Portico update I have music CDs ripped with iTunes at 256kbs as CBR AAC files that the phone simply cannot "see".

I used Music Bee to sync the files and they are on the phone when I check with File Explorer.

There must be something I am missing since other iTunes users are reporting success with AAC files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo