Navigation

onlywaytomo

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So are we pretty much just left in the dust when it comes to navigation on non Nokia devices? I know they invested deeply in WP but its kind of messed up for other users esp when we had native navigation before...
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Strange one isn't it. I got an 8X because I read quotes from HTC, Nokia and Microsoft saying Nokia Drive would be available on all Windows Phone devices.

Along comes Windows 8 and Nokia Drive is exclusive to Nokia phones. I don't particularly blame them for that, it makes business sense to ensure you protect your own devices and make them as marketable as possible.

It's HTC and MS I have anger towards. I like Windows Phone 8 but the lack of voice guided navigation baked in is just an incredible omission.

The inability of WP8 with regards to music playlists is another enormous issue. Xbox Music is perhaps the best offering of all the music systems on the mobile platforms, yet you cannot create and edit playlists on the phone, which is utterly stupid.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Everything I have seen says that Nokia Drive will be available for all WP8 devices, but Nokia Drive+ will be exclusive.

An important thing to note here, is that Nokia Drive+ is in Beta stage... So neither has seen a final release yet.

Sav_OK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
got to agree, navigation is the only issue so far with my 8x, but am sure something will eventually rise to sort this

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's really a basic required feature anymore, especially now that Apple introduced it in iOS 6.. Android has had it since the OG Droid launched with Android 2.0. Heck, even Windows Mobile 6.5 had it.. and it was pretty good.

I'm sure something is coming, but it's just one more thing Microsoft is being silent on...

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Navigon is great.... I love it way more then Nokia Drive.
I have tried to use Nokia Drive but in my area it directs me to the wrong place way to often.

However I understand in other parts of the world that it works really great. SO here is the news that I've heard about Nokia Drive.

It CAN be licence to all WP handsets if the OEM of the handset is willing to license it from Nokia. Nokia will retain Nokia Drive +.
So why hasn't HTC done this? Because they have there own GPS software that they want you to buy. However this doesn't mean they won't license it from Nokia (they haven't officially said they wouldn't).
In addition to this I believe Nokia isn't ready to release the Nokia Drive app to other handsets OEM's, even if they wanted it. Supposedly more to come in the New Year.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Navigon is great.... I love it way more then Nokia Drive.
I have tried to use Nokia Drive but in my area it directs me to the wrong place way to often.

However I understand in other parts of the world that it works really great. SO here is the news that I've heard about Nokia Drive.

It CAN be licence to all WP handsets if the OEM of the handset is willing to license it from Nokia. Nokia will retain Nokia Drive +.
So why hasn't HTC done this? Because they have there own GPS software that they want you to buy. However this doesn't mean they won't license it from Nokia (they haven't officially said they wouldn't).
In addition to this I believe Nokia isn't ready to release the Nokia Drive app to other handsets OEM's, even if they wanted it. Supposedly more to come in the New Year.

Navigon is ?53 in the UK and there are complaints that it doesn't recognise UK postcodes. I could get a fully fledged stand alone unit for that.

Coming from Android and Google's excellent navigation paying ?53 for an app I can't trial and that may or may not work just seems very wrong.

Voice nav is an essential baked in feature these days.

As is playlist eeating, which has been on phones for about a decade but which seems to have passed Microsoft by.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Navigon is ?53 in the UK and there are complaints that it doesn't recognise UK postcodes. I could get a fully fledged stand alone unit for that.

Coming from Android and Google's excellent navigation paying ?53 for an app I can't trial and that may or may not work just seems very wrong.

Voice nav is an essential baked in feature these days.

As is playlist eeating, which has been on phones for about a decade but which seems to have passed Microsoft by.

Sorry I wasn't trying to convince you to go with Navigon I was just saying that it works pretty great for me. Really what I should have tried to convey is that it really depends on the mapping data. Nokia Drive + hasn't been great for me but Navigon has been.
Other will have the opposite experience I'm sure.
As much as I hate to say it Google's Mapping system is just better then anyone else's (for the most part) and that is one of the advantages of Android.
If it is that important to anyone, crucial even, they should really consider Android since it is better.
My solution was in fact Navigon and I've been pretty satisfied with it.
I hope, for anyone's sake, that they can find a solution for there device but if not.... there is always iOS or Android.

onlywaytomo

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd be ok with navignon if it wasn't 30$...esp when turn by turn was free....this issue is the most annoying part of wp8. I love my htc 8x but I use navigation all the time and there are no good free substitutes. Its like a step backwards....
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion