Front Camera Image Being Backwards

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The result is as if somebody else took a picture of yourself the correct way.

What's so hard to understand?

Do you work in a funky magic mirror shop?

If the ffc preview showed how the pic would really come out, I got a feeling by the way you are complaining you would freak the fukc out

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The result is as if somebody else took a picture of yourself the correct way.

What's so hard to understand?

Do you work in a funky magic mirror shop?

If the ffc preview showed how the pic would really come out, I got a feeling by the way you are complaining you would freak the fukc out

I am fully aware the result is correct.

haha and if you've learned nothing from this thread, I prefer an image in "correct" form, not a mirrored version :wink:

and if the ffc preview showed how the pic would really come out, this thread wouldnt exist! :eck:

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
yeah by the "cameras have done for years" thing I was just saying it would make sense (to me) for a FFC to behave like a rear camera. although I do understand the argument for using it like a mirror, I would prefer it to be otherwise.

and true, the FFC camera is mainly for your face and whatnot. I dont particularly NEED it to be different, just would prefer to see how the image is going to turn out, rather than a flipped version of it
You don't want that, everything would be backwards. When you moved your hand to the right, it would show on the screen going to the left, the opposite direction. If you turned your face one way, it would turn the other direction on the screen. It would be completely disorienting.

my goal is for the pre-snapped orientation of image on the screen to be "correct" ("as if another person would see you") for reasons below:
That's not possible, the way people see you is how it shows at the end. That is the correct orientation, that is what you actually look like. Its why its often weird seeing pictures of yourself, you never look right to yourself but to everyone else it looks correct. It's because you only ever see a backwards reflection in the mirror and not the real you. You will notice that in pictures your hair is parted on the wrong side or a freckle is on the wrong cheek, but really its right.

To help make sense of it think of text. Your first image is backwards because they are showing you a mirror image, they are doing this because otherwise all of the movement would be backwards. You can't have movement go in the "correct as you would see it in a mirror" way, and things be the final version as others see it. Its impossible.

Here is an experiment to demonstrate:
Turn your rear camera on, then go face the mirror in the bathroom with the camera pointing at you and you looking at the reflection of the screen in the mirror. Try to turn your head the way you want it or get things lined up left and right. Do you see how confusing and weird it is? That is what you are asking for.

Last edited:

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You don't want that, everything would be backwards. When you moved your hand to the right, it would show on the screen going to the left, the opposite direction. If you turned your face one way, it would turn the other direction on the screen. It would be completely disorienting.

That's not possible, the way people see you is how it shows at the end. That is the correct orientation, that is what you actually look like. Its why its often weird seeing pictures of yourself, you never look right to yourself but to everyone else it looks correct. It's because you only ever see a backwards reflection in the mirror and not the real you. You will notice that in pictures your hair is parted on the wrong side or a freckle is on the wrong cheek, but really its right.

To help make sense of it think of text. Your first image is backwards because they are showing you a mirror image, they are doing this because otherwise all of the movement would be backwards. You can't have movement go in the "correct as you would see it in a mirror" way, and things be the final version as others see it. Its impossible.

Here is an experiment to demonstrate:
Turn your rear camera on, then go face the mirror in the bathroom with the camera pointing at you and you looking at the reflection of the screen in the mirror. Try to turn your head the way you want it or get things lined up left and right. Do you see how confusing and weird it is? That is what you are asking for.

I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. I dont need to do the experiment because I know exactly what you're talking about.

I would also be fine with my movement being backwards on the screen. usually im just taking a quick picture that doesnt require a lot of movement anyways.

I feel it wouldnt be impossible, all they would have to do flip the image that is portrayed onto the screen before you take the picture.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
lol I'm also done checking this thread. sorry for the confusion I caused people. I meant for this to be a simple question to see if anyone knew of an app that had the results I am looking for. didn't want to get into an argument on how mirrors work

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
lol I'm also done checking this thread. sorry for the confusion I caused people. I meant for this to be a simple question to see if anyone knew of an app that had the results I am looking for. didn't want to get into an argument on how mirrors work
some people just need to get lives. I hate how the ffc flips pics too!

Last edited:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

The only confused person here is you.

And maybe Irvin.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
lol I'm confused because I'd prefer a pic to be the direction I see it in?

That is just preference my friend, I'm not confused by why it does what it does :)

some people just need to get lives. I hate how the ffc flips pics too!

yeah I am not confused either. not only did I notice my HP laptop has the feature I have been talking about, but the Fhotoroom app AUTOMATICALLY does it.

thanks for everyone's help...:grin:

Last edited:

Neil Spanier

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Here is the solution.

Its a Non Reversing Mirror. It also allows you to take a photo with the non reversing mirror, the front facing camera (normal mode), and the regular camera. You can write on any photo freehand or draw lines by placing dots.

Its available on iTunes and on Google Play. Its called CHECK ME OUT. 99cents on Android, its only a non reversing mirror

Its $2.99 on iphone, since it has other features.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/check-me-out-posture-analyzer/id537511659?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

or go to Waaahaaa!!!

I hope you enjoy it.

#Waaahaaa

Neil

T Patrick Culp

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
It is NOT how others see you. GEEZ. (unless other people see my shirt and everything backwards. The camera shows the mirror image of what others see.....

RJFait

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
It's not impossible, laptop computers "Front Facing" cameras do it and always have. I completely understand why someone might not want it, but it boggles the mind how so few of you can grasp what the original post is actually wanting.

Mitch Kranitz

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I know this is old, but odoggyfresh is 100% on point - sometimes I use my laptop camera to snap photos of whiteboards or other things and it's a pain in the *** with the mirror. Big hugs to all :love:

ElSergi0

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Except when we look at people with logos on their shirts, the words are not backwards because the image is flipped by the mechanics of our eyes, so no, this is NOT the way other people see it, it is the way the light enters our retinas but the mechanics between our eyes and brains flip it around (and also upsidedown). The original author just wants to take a picture with his camera so that when you look at it, it is the correct orientation as how a person should see it (IE words are not backwards) Not sure why this is so hard for everyone to understand. -Nor is it a very difficult thing to do for a camera to flip an image across it's vertical axis.

seattlerayne

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Finally a sensible reply, got a kick out of the armchair physicists complicating the hell out of a simple question. My Chromebook ( Hisense) has the function your after, "mirroring" is the effect i'm currently scouring my windows 10 camera app for the option but it is looking bleak, just another on the list of my windows 10 disappointments, somewhere between no dvd playback and a yet undiagnosed difficulty with the Wi-Fi adapter..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers