Share a XBOX music pass?

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that I can share my music pass with up to 4 devices. I figured this is referring to computers but can I share my music pass with another WP owner?

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I looked into this and found that 'it's intended for one id'.

Also was disappointed in the new Xbox music in general so am waiting for it to improve. My wife and I are using rhapsody instead. One account, can access via both winphones, Xbox, AND windows 7 pcs. That Xbox music isn't for win7 or even browser version absolutely baffles me. That to me is the evidence that ms releases this about half done and I'm hoping they get it right.

smartrthanu

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
You have to share your primary WindowsLiveID with that person and they need to setup their WP using that ID as primary. At one point, I created a WindowsID that my entire family shared. It had the Xbox Live Gold and Zune Pass on it. We could all share the pass and a calendar which was nice, but we were also sharing buy default the XBox ID...which go real annoying when my son's friends would blow up my phone, Xbox account with requests.

I have since changed back to standard config...but if you want to look...here's the article I used
How To Share Your Zune Pass Safely with a Family Member on Windows Phone 7 and Zune HD

Banner18

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I was disappointed as well. We ended up getting 2 passes since we really heavily use it, but it does stink...

I will have to disagree with nathan though...we LOVE it. I don't listen to mainstream music and it has never failed me when I have gone to look for an artist.
I have gone and updated all our PCs to Windows 8 however. We have 3 Xbox 360s, 2 Desktops, 1 Zune, 2 Surfaces, and 2 Lumia 920s all connected and it really has been great...

Banner18

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You have to share your primary WindowsLiveID with that person and they need to setup their WP using that ID as primary. At one point, I created a WindowsID that my entire family shared. It had the Xbox Live Gold and Zune Pass on it. We could all share the pass and a calendar which was nice, but we were also sharing buy default the XBox ID...which go real annoying when my son's friends would blow up my phone, Xbox account with requests.

I have since changed back to standard config...but if you want to look...here's the article I used
How To Share Your Zune Pass Safely with a Family Member on Windows Phone 7 and Zune HD

When we had our 900s we did the same thing. My wife HATED the fact that she couldn't have her gamer tag, scores, etc on her device. If you don't use the xbox live piece much however it is a simple solution.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Because now that the question has been asked, despite the illegality of it, people are going to swarm to the thread to tell you how to do it. Don't get me wrong, your question is a legitimate question for someone who doesn't realize it, but the terms of use for a Microsoft account include a clause that bars you (the end user) from allowing anyone else access to that account. There's the first hit - people will tell you how to share an account, as they have already done, above.

Second, music (or software, or any number of other forms of media... movies...) is intellectual property that is owned by its creator. The purchaser does not "own" a copy of that IP (intellectual property) to do with what they wish (unless specified). When you purchase it, you are purchasing (in most cases) the "rights" that are described in the agreement, which is a legally binding agreement between the purchaser and the creator (or publisher, what have you). I don't know the specifics of XBox Music's license, since I don't use it, but I'll use Windows Phone Store apps as an example, since I develop them. In the case of those, the license grants you the right to install the app on up to five devices. Now in order to install the app, you have to user your account, which means that they are devices that you are using, since letting someone else use them (and therefore access your account) violates Microsoft's terms of use. Generally, the purpose for this five device limit was to be in the case of devices that were replaced, upgraded, stolen, what have you. Not for sharing devices with others (as that violates the terms of use).

Violating the terms of the license that you agreed to when you purchased the IP can result in severe civil and criminal penalties. Civil penalties can be up to $150,000 per infringed work, and criminal penalties can be up to $250,000 and jail terms of up to five years (in the US).

No, I'm not saying that you're going to go to jail, but think about this. Developers invest a lot of time, energy, and often money into the apps they create. Musicians do the same with their songs. Movies..... You get the idea. They do this with the hope of realizing a return on their investment. By stealing a song, an app, a movie, you are taking from that IP creator something that you do not own. When you're talking about a $0.99 song or a $1.99 app.... How much is that compared to what you give to the phone company for the phones (plural, since you're talking about sharing) that you carry around?

Is what we have the best possible scenario? No. Perhaps there should be a family plan. Perhaps that is something Microsoft should consider. Given that it sounds like a lot of people from iOS (I haven't heard of talk about this on Android, but it wouldn't surprise me that it's there, too) do share accounts, I suspect that this subject is just going to get more and more attention. If the agreement between the purchaser and the seller allowed for sharing, then this would be a non-issue. But given the climate that the music and movie industry has created, I doubt we'll see that... Though I could be wrong. With apps, however, it's a different ballgame. There is no "app developer industry association" so basically Microsoft could muscle the developers and change the agreement they have with them. Then they could change the agreement that they have with users, and allow sharing between family members. But in muscling the developers, you may see developers leave, and Microsoft doesn't want that, do they?

As a developer, I don't think I'd take too kindly to the super monster software conglomerate telling me that from now on I get one purchase price (of which they already take 30%) for the sale of my app to a whole family, where I had been getting it from each person who wanted my app. My response would probably be along the lines of "just who do you think you are that you think you can tell me what I am allowed to sell my apps for, and under what conditions???" Then I turn all my apps into free apps (so MS doesn't get a dime) and switch to an in-app purchase model, where you can go install the app as many places as you want, but each instance has to be paid for or it won't work. Yeah, I don't think that'll go over too well. Besides, Microsoft isn't in the muscle business.

Someone else posted a comment that I really liked, and I'm open to the idea. Create a family plan, where you pay more than the single price, perhaps double price, and you're allowed to install to anyone in your family's phone, given limitations that are still open to discussion. Limitations such as who counts as a family member, how many family members are allowed as a maximum, and so forth. The suggestion that I threw into that discussion as a limitation was that since MS already has the Family Security program, whatever it's called, they already have framework of parent/child relationships. With that in mind, and given that those parents are allowed to see the child web surfing history and such, you could say make a family only allowed to have two adults, and x number of children, and the child accounts would be fully open to be seen by the parent accounts (discourages you from sharing with Joe the neighbor as a child, if he doesn't want you to see his history).

I'm not a lawyer, so don't expect that this is a comprehensive overview, but just the words of some guy, who knows the subject better than the average Joe, because knowing this stuff is in my interest, and I've done the best I can to make it understandable, even though I may not know all of the caveats.

Now here come the trolls to berate me, once again, because I want to live in the utopia of people actually obeying the law, and respecting other people's property - even their intellectual property.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft allows up to 3 devices to be connected to 1 live account.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the rules are different for Xbox Music.

What they don't allow is for you to allow someone other than yourself to access your account. And your number is wrong.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yet we have kids corner! That goes against the tos too ya know. Your letting your kid use your Xbox live account. Ya didn't think of that did ya. And I already dealt with ms about my wife not being able to use it cuz we have a family gold account. Guess what they suggested. Just have her use yours. From what I understood they are thinking of fixing it so Xbox families pay one price and all can use music pass. Bet it saves some money.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
What they don't allow is for you to allow someone other than yourself to access your account. And your number is wrong.

Thank you for the clarification. I assumed the multiple devices mentioned was similar to netflix. Looks like I'll be buying someone an Xbox music pass for Christmas!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the clarification. I assumed the multiple devices mentioned was similar to netflix. Looks like I'll be buying someone an Xbox music pass for Christmas!

Now, to play Devil's advocate... Though if you're the one person paying both the cell phone bills, are they not both your phones then? An XBox is not always going to be used by one person. Am I the only one who is allowed to listen to my XBox Music Pass on my XBox? Do I kick my wife and kids out of the room when I want to listen to music? Are they not allowed to use that channel on XBox?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Can you specify that in the TOS?

Although one Live ID can be linked to 5 phones, the Zune Pass only works on 3 devices. Again, I'm not sure about Xbox Music.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Can you specify that in the TOS?

And I have 3 devices linked to my Live ID (the limit). Other countries have different limitations.

I assume it's in the TOS, but I'm at work and we block that site... About Xbox Music Pass | Xbox Music Pass - Xbox.com

Note Your Xbox Music Pass is for your personal and non-commercial use only. It is designed to be used by only one person. Content, offerings, features, and functions may vary depending on your country or region. For more, see the Xbox Live Terms of Use.

UPDATE: Though 'designed to be used for one person' doesn't mean can only be used by one person...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo