Lost ability to open maps from a link

Martin Miller

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I am a recent convert to Windows Phone 8 (from Android) and so far I am pleased with my Nokia Lumia 810 (from T-Mobile) but I am having a small problem with Nokia Maps. I seem to have lost the ability to open Nokia Maps from a link sent either as a text message or email. The following screen shots will show what I am talking about.

wp_ss_20121219_0002.jpg

Tapping on this link used to open the map in Nokia Maps but now this is what I get instead:

wp_ss_20121219_0001.jpg

As you can see it opens the link in IE which then redirects to some website called "here" which is not helpful at all. I don't like the Nokia Maps app as well as the Google Maps app on Android, but it was still MUCH better than this. I can still use Nokia Maps by opening the app from the tile, but not from a link which is a very useful thing to do when someone sends you a link. This worked up until recently, and still works on my wife's identical phone. Things that have changed on my phone regarding maps is that I have downloaded a couple of other map apps from the app store ("Bingle" and "gMaps"), and I think Nokia Maps was recently updated as well. Does anyone know how I can get this functionality back?

Thank you.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Nokia recently upgraded and rebranded their mapping platform to Here, my guess would be that they have not yet mapped the new Here URLs to the Windows Phone Nokia Maps application, which was recently updated. They did say they plan to upgrade the Maps app to fully support Here soon, so I would hope that such an upgrade would fix this bug

Martin Miller

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
So it does not appear to be the update to Nokia Maps that is to blame. My wife has an identical phone and I downloaded the Nokia Maps update to her phone and it still opens the link in Nokia Maps as it should. The only difference is she has not downloaded any other map apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6