Why WP8's Lack of Polish is Making Adoption Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So, jaj324, do you know if microphone + volume control is is a driver issue not supported by the OS itself or is that something a third party like the headphone manufacturer has to develop themselves?

I'm not being facetious here, as I would really like to know the answer if you or anyone else here has it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Much of these known issues could have been corrected before launch

One of those thousands of reasons could have been "this is only an issue for MSFTisMIA". Like, for instance, your "having to flip through tile sizes" comment as an example. It's entirely possible that Microsoft invested more money than you and I will jointly make in the next 5 years into focus groups and R&D which resulted in "the absolute best way to do this is to flip through each tile size." Thus the OS was designed that way on purpose and not having an additional arrow is not some random oversight they could have corrected before launch, but an honest-to-goodness design choice which can't be corrected because it's not wrong.

You seem to be a very intelligent person; you are well spoken (written?) and analytical. How can you not see that? Everyone has preferences; I would prefer a 4th tile size, covering a third of the screen (instead of half or all), but I'm would no more say that missing tile size is contributing to the lack of platform adoption than I would fly to the moon.

Again, I'm just using that one item you posted as an example, not basing your entire argument on that one thing.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Tim, I get you loud and clear. My goal isn't to recreate the wheel and nitpitck completely at stuff that has been said already, in particular the app gap perception and the importance of apps on a whole to a platform's growth. Perhaps they calculated things like how often people change the layout and determined through their numerous focus groups that people don't mess with their layouts often enough to warrant adding that . I'm sure they used iOS and Android phones in their testing for this too. I get that and am not disputing that here. That was a thinking out loud comment, like ultimately this whole post was.

Here's why I draw on the audio driver support for microphone and volume control issue as a point. The trend is that for the past few years, many mid ranged to high end carrier branded phones sold in the US don't include a wired handsfree in the box. If it does, it's not great. Carriers here (or someone else) must have realized that it was cheaper to let people buy what they want to use, probably pushed by the iPhone and a few other devices. I can remember back to the SE w800 and Nokia N91 days where their audio was on point for a feature phone, a key selling point actually. I can also remember to when it took FOREVER for the 3.5mm jack to become standard for all audio needs on most phones. You walk into a store now to buy a wired handsfree for music and many of the styles are "made for iPhone or Android". So it is a driver issue in WP that allows that lack of certification for both volume control and mic on the part of the OS itself or the headset maker? I think it is the OS itself there. If I have to buy one because it is not in the box, is it really me *****ing and moaning about entitlement there or me wanting to be able to use a product fully based on what i am spending on it?

I believe that this support was present in WM6.5. I understand that MSFT blew the whole thing up and started over. Is that an essential feature? Probably not. But in an age where WP is an OS playing catch up as it tires to gain more marketshare, MSFT should be looking to add more features timely that ties into the overall strengths and selling points of the OS to make it appealing to more people across a broader range. I know they know what they are know at Redmond, but they cannot take the gradual update in increments approach.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had to bust out laughing when I saw this! So if I take you seriously, is it really THAT much harder for MSFT to add that arrow in? Perhaps you're right...maybe I should wait for that, and all the other things I asked for in WP9.

That type of crap is just UI clutter, it's exactly what the entire software industry is moving _away_ from.

-E

bigpulve

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
OK. So what's the easiest way to go back and edit that play list? Doing that same process over again?
the easiest is to walk over to your computer and do it there. This is a pretty obvious troll thread. I tell you how to make a playlist on the phone, what you were saying wasn't possible, and instead of saying oh that's good to know, you nitpick more.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I would just like to point out that ever OS lacks "polish" if we want to be picky. I have 5 friends who had freezing iPhone 5's at launch, with camera and hardware deficiencies. Nothing in the technological world is perfect, but Windows Phone (and Windows 8) are mighty damn close. Microsoft also has a pretty impressive track record, even if sales haven't always supported it. Zune was fantastic, the Xbox became the #1 system in the world, Windows has dominated the computer market for decades, Office.. the list goes on. I trust this company more than I trust one which resorts to code stealing or childish tactics.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
the easiest is to walk over to your computer and do it there. This is a pretty obvious troll thread. I tell you how to make a playlist on the phone, what you were saying wasn't possible, and instead of saying oh that's good to know, you nitpick more.

Well, here's the thing. I tried your steps, and while it was helpful, it didn't completely solve the issue I had. Sorry i was too busy dealing with similar comments like the one you made about trolling to make the time to explain that issue i had. I run XP on my machine, so that's what has made my sync issues a pain. And of course, the editing I am talking about is the ability to create and edit the same playlist on the phone, instead of having to do your suggestion and delete the whole playlist again and start over in the event I don't want to use the computer or made a mistake in creating the playlist. Nothing trolling about that.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So you open an account with that handle and then start an everything that's wrong with WP8 based upon my vast experience thread and seem surprised at the response. I am sorry but the handle alone conveys both your attitude and the extent to which I am inclined to take the thread seriously....

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
So you came to have a healthy discussion about the weak points and improvements of WP8 and the fanboys told you how wrong you are? How shocking...

No kidding. I for one, am getting so tired is seeing nothing but threads about how great Windows Phone is, how perfect it is and how no one has anything to say but complimentary posts. I wish for once someone would complain about how unfinished the o/s is, or the lack of apps, how Microsoft dropped the ball - anything that would be at least a little critical...

Damn, even Android guys come in here to wish us good luck and admire us and our chosen operating system. It's getting sickening already.

Steve, you are absolutely right. This place is filled with sunshine pumpers - I'm just glad you pointed how flawed this board is.

God bless you son. You are the wind beneath our wings.

kmann1994

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hahahaha I don't think you get it...it isn't that it is hard for them to add it, it's just that they didn't WANT to. They didn't feel like any of it was necessary, probably. They have to manage where their dev time best goes, and I have to say that none of it deserves to go to the areas you suggested.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey I am an android nuthugger but you don't see me creating threads crying about my freakin thumbs hurting because Microsoft decided to leave out an extra arrow to cycle through the many many live tile sizes, riiiight?!? riiiiiiight?! Yeeeeea buddy!

Oh no! I passed the tiny sized live tile! Now I HAVE to keep pressing the arrow until I cycle back to the size I want? I'm a pansy! Click click click waaah my thuummmmb!!

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'll summarize it like this. First I had iPhone then Android then WP7 and now WP8. They ALL have their annoyances. That being said, for me, there is no comparison...WP8 kills them all. Love it.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hahahaha I don't think you get it...it isn't that it is hard for them to add it, it's just that they didn't WANT to. They didn't feel like any of it was necessary, probably. They have to manage where their dev time best goes, and I have to say that none of it deserves to go to the areas you suggested.

The problem is.... Where does MSFT spend all its dev/engineering resources on? Weather app? Add a timer? Create a compass? Creating a better music experience? Create a full Xbox video experience? Advertising something, like Xbox video and Skype, before the product is released is stupid at best...... They even showcased Skype during the June summit, and what is happening now? It's their own software and doesn't have a dedicated team for developing Skype for windows phone - I am ok with this, but if that's the case please take off the ads showing Skype - it's misleading at best

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It's their own software and doesn't have a dedicated team for developing Skype for windows phone - I am ok with this, but if that's the case please take off the ads showing Skype - it's misleading at best

MS does own Skype, but Skype has free reign to do what it wants too. So really I think it's Skype's fault for dropping the ball.

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
No kidding. I for one, am getting so tired is seeing nothing but threads about how great Windows Phone is, how perfect it is and how no one has anything to say but complimentary posts. I wish for once someone would complain about how unfinished the o/s is, or the lack of apps, how Microsoft dropped the ball - anything that would be at least a little critical...

Damn, even Android guys come in here to wish us good luck and admire us and our chosen operating system. It's getting sickening already.

Steve, you are absolutely right. This place is filled with sunshine pumpers - I'm just glad you pointed how flawed this board is.

God bless you son. You are the wind beneath our wings.

Well I did that in this forum. As a WP user, I gave my honest assessment of the pros/cons of the phone, and got attacked for them. I guess honest assessments are not appreciated and I generally favour the WP to begin with...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I did that in this forum. As a WP user, I gave my honest assessment of the pros/cons of the phone, and got attacked for them. I guess honest assessments are not appreciated and I generally favour the WP to begin with...

I think you just have to be very careful how you phrase it. People tend to fly off the handle quite easily, especially if they're stressed. Two stressed people with conflicting viewpoints... You can probably guess how that will end. Been guilty of it myself, sometimes wanting to shove their phone up their butt because I've got stressed and misinterpreted their post, then flew off the handle and gone ultimate nerdrage mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb