Where are the Microsoft apps?

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of focus on third-party apps that are popular on iOS and Android, but I wonder where the popular apps from Microsoft are hiding.

* Skype - I'm not certain why this is stuck in beta when competing platforms have had updates to their already official apps. It is frustrating to have a buggy, battery draining app...FROM MICROSOFT...on my Microsoft powered phone. It's also behind in features; I can't even send a photo in an instant message.
* Photosynth - it's like deja vu' from my WP7 days; I can this great app in use on all other platforms, but it is nowhere to be found on my platform. Again, both the app and the left out platform are owned by Microsoft, so it doesn't really make sense.

Those are the two biggest (and most embarrassing) omissions from Windows Phone 8, at this point. There are also apps that I think Microsoft should make that do not exist, like:

* Basic Video Editing - both Android and iPhone have basic editing apps. I don't want a full on NLE on my phone, but I would like to trim the clips at the front and back. I'd also like to be able to add some text over the video and on a title page. Taking still pictures and making slideshows would be great along with the ability to put a voiceover or music track on the project.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Skype - I'm not certain why this is stuck in beta when competing platforms have had updates to their already official apps.

Really? It's only been a few months since the OS itself was released to manufacturing, and you can't figure out why an application that depends on the released version of the OS is still in beta?

Huh.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Really? It's only been a few months since the OS itself was released to manufacturing, and you can't figure out why an application that depends on the released version of the OS is still in beta?

Huh.
Um, YES really? I'm not talking about a random developer who had to wait for an SDK and a test device, I'm talking about the manufacturer of the device and the operating system. In fact, there ARE third party developers who have apps out that can do voice, video and fileshare...why can't Microsoft get it done? I think it's because they are exhibiting the same behavior that they fight against - focusing on the bigger user bases of iOS and Android. They're putting more resources into making sure that those platforms get every single Microsoft branded app (Photosynth, SkyDrive, OFFICE, Xbox Entertainment, Xbox Games, Skype) all while treating their own platform as a "we'll get to it" project.

huh...indeed

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
* Basic Video Editing - both Android and iPhone have basic editing apps. I don't want a full on NLE on my phone, but I would like to trim the clips at the front and back. I'd also like to be able to add some text over the video and on a title page. Taking still pictures and making slideshows would be great along with the ability to put a voiceover or music track on the project.

I agree. I think MS could put together a basic video editing app.

See, everyone who has a complaint about Windows Phone 8? This guy has an idea, a valid criticism, without bashing or being a a d*ck about it. I wish everyone who posted on this forum could make suggestions that are rational and make sense like you did.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I can certainly understand your frustration, but you need to realize that Photosynth and Skype are managed by dedicated development teams. Yes, they belong to the Microsoft division, but they have their product priorities that focus on the betterment of their respective products. They are working on the WP8 version, and should have it out shortly. I also don't think they received the SDK any earlier just because they are part of the same company. Even if they did receive it earlier, the development needs to get slotted into their timelines, priorities and development schedules. For them, WP8 is another platform to support, and they assign resources to it as it fits their overall project goals.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Um, YES really? I'm not talking about a random developer who had to wait for an SDK and a test device, I'm talking about the manufacturer of the device and the operating system.

...who just had to push and focus their energies on getting the OS itself out. Also, please note this from the Skype website: "Founded in 2003 and headquartered in Luxembourg, Skype is a division of Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT)." It's not like Skype is in the office next to the WP OS team; for all intents and purposes they're just a third-party developer with a "in" at Microsoft because Microsoft owns them.

You should really apply some critical thought before you turn into a green rage monster over it.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
This is simple. They've had years to develop for other platforms without a totally revolutionary change. WP8 is really entirely new, and its been complete for just a few months. These things will all be fine.

Personally, I wish Microsoft had never released WP7... and just skipped to immediately develop what became WP8.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

Huh.

Ah, the apologist appears.

Look, dude, it's great that you have the patience of Job when it comes to Microsoft. But the cold, hard reality is that iOS and Android have ecosystems that are mature and relatively free of compromise. We all love WP here for whatever reason (I love the UI and the overall aesthetic) but that doesn't mean we have to ignore the shortcomings and feature/app omissions that currently exist.

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How long has ios and android been out? when the iphone first came out things weren't so peachy for years!

When you are 5 years late to the party and struggling to gain 1% of the market share, IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH to MATCH competitor issues from 3 years ago, YOU NEED TO RAISE THE BAR.

iPhone had a luxury of being first, WP needs to push the bar, not drag it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When you are 5 years late to the party and struggling to gain 1% of the market share, IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH to MATCH competitor issues from 3 years ago, YOU NEED TO RAISE THE BAR.

It's really easy to come onto an anonymous forum on the internet and spout off stuff like that. Are you a software developer? A project manager? Anything that would give you the sand to throw out comments like that willy-nilly?

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you a software developer? A project manager? Anything that would give you the sand to throw out comments like that willy-nilly?

Oh, sorry, next time I criticize a phone for crappy camera or bad design, I'll be sure to get a master's degree in design and engineering first, so your butt is no longer hurt, ok?

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

iPhone had a luxury of being first, WP needs to push the bar, not drag it.

Rome was not built in a day. Microsoft chose to build a throwaway version of Windows Phone (7) in order to get in the game immediately when they realized it would take longer to get what they wanted WP8, out the door. Being late to the party with their own OS, Microsoft's apps on other platforms took precedence... that's where the people are, and they've had a lot longer to build out those apps. It would be one thing if Microsoft had some key app that if withheld from the other platforms or made superior on WP, would draw users to windows phone. That's not quite the case... the closest thing is Office... and it was on WP first (and still not on others yet, although maybe soon).

Microsoft raised a few bars with a dedicated camera button (which iOS later sort of copied), live tiles, a near chromeless interface, integrated facebook and messenger chat (before others had it), earlier recognition of the importance of facebook integration/sharing... and now kid's corner. You can't raise all bars similtaneously. Some things will be superior to competition, others inferior... developers only have so much time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Every parent I've shown kids corner considers it a VERY compelling feature... but you don't cry about how inferior iOS and android are for lacking it.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
How long has ios and android been out? when the iphone first came out things weren't so peachy for years!

Windows has been on phones since well before Android and iphone. That MS had to scrap what they had and redesign it from the ground up is their own internal problem and their own fault.

-E

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My two cents:
Maybe WP8 is new and with the late SDK other developers are probably working on new apps. However Microsoft isn't a third party developer, they should have had applications and games out that showcase their OS. Apple did that with iMovie, iPhoto or GarageBand, which are amazing apps. Microsoft could also have funded at least one game of Infinity Blade's calibre, they're wasting the Xbox Live brand on casual games (some very good mind you). I've played Infinity Blade and it's boring after 10 minutes but still, whenever people see it for the 1st time, they think "I need an iPhone". No Microsoft application or game gives you that feeling.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, sorry, next time I criticize a phone for crappy camera or bad design, I'll be sure to get a master's degree in design and engineering first, so your butt is no longer hurt, ok?

Oh, my butt is not hurt. It's perfectly happy with my Windows Phone, its performance, its abilities, the apps, and the frequency with which updates come. My butt is amused, however, with attitudes and comments like yours. I mean, come on, it must be SO easy for Microsoft to snap their fingers and make everything perfect, right? They're obviously, purposely dragging their feet, right? :D

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
However Microsoft isn't a third party developer, they should have had applications and games out that showcase their OS.

I'm not much of a gamer (Wordament is about as gamey as I get and I'm not very good, heh) so I'll take your word about a lack of games. However, for apps that make the platform shine... Office? OneNote? The People hub with built-in social networking? Those are the apps that made me go, "whoa... maybe I should give WP a serious look."

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Meh, not enough. OneNote is on other platforms, Office is going the same way soon and built-in social networking has been done by some OEMs before (maybe not as well but still). Believe it or not, "fun" apps attract people way more than productivity apps. If you offer OneNote and say GarageBand, I'm pretty sure the latter will be way more popular.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I do agree that Skype could have been a good app to have release with WP8 already completed and out of beta, especially since it's owned by microsoft. you would have gaming, audio/voice calling, and music all ready to go from launch, which would seem logical.

BUT, like people have said, I'm sure (hopefully?) that they tried to do this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte