Paul Thurott: Nokia is circling the drain. Surface Phone only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm soooooo tired of this Paul twat guy putting down Windows phone. You don't like it, we get it. Shut up and move on. Don't buy one. Go play with your revolutionary iPhone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm soooooo tired of this Paul twat guy putting down Windows phone. You don't like it, we get it. Shut up and move on. Don't buy one. Go play with your revolutionary iPhone.
His primary phone is the HTC 8X. He used a Nokia Lumia 900 previously. He doesn't hate Windows Phone. He just is of the opinion that Nokia lacks the necessary capacity to take Windows Phone to the next level.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
He along with MS are against Nokia for some reason and are 100% being HTC. I would love to know why that happened.
That's a good question. It certainly has nothing to do with stock performance.

htc_nok_zps71e71ace.png

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but one manufacturer can't take the entire OS to the next level overnight or over a year. Right now, majority of people are invested in apps and if Microsoft doesn't offer same apps on their platform, nobody will buy it. Another reason is that Microsoft themselves fail to advertise WP. When was the last time this guy went into a microsoft store? I go into a Microsoft store every week, and all I see is Surface all over the place. The phones are hidden somewhere in the corner where nobody can see them. Microsoft needs to pull their weight, and so far they haven't. The OS lacks simple things like orientation lock and different levels of brightness instead of 3 and many other features.
In 2 years, Nokia already increased marketshare of WP and in fact they were responsible for many new apps coming to WP that were already available on iOS and Android.

Unless Surface phone brings something absolutely insane to the table, it won't have a chance just like Surface itself. The reason why Surface Phone won't stand a chance without something truly unique is because the OS itself is the same on all phones. How will they differentiate? Camera? Not a chance. Design? Most likely not. Price? With 920 at $100, I don't think so.

In order for WP to take off, Microsoft needs to get more top devs onto platform and so far they haven't done it.

Let's do a simple test to see if Nokia changed anything. Who here joined WP for the first time because of Nokia?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's do a simple test to see if Nokia changed anything. Who here joined WP for the first time because of Nokia?
I had been a BlackBerry user and decided last year that I wasn't going to stay with BlackBerry.

CES 2012 was the deciding factor for me in choosing the particular Windows Phone I got.

I had been a Symbian user prior to BlackBerry, and I always felt that Nokia had excellent hardware.

Both the Nokia Lumia 900 and the HTC Titan 2 were featured at CES 2012. I chose the Nokia, rather than the HTC, due to my past experience with Nokia build quality and unfavorable impressions of HTC build quality based upon what I knew from people who had issues with HTC Android devices.

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
This is just typical Paul.

I remember when the Zune HD came out he was all excited about it, and couldn't say enough good things about it. A few weeks later the love affair was over. All these tech bloggers, even Apple leaning ones, try to be somewhat negative about things to leave an opening so they can save face. If Windows Phone dies Paul can say I knew this was coming etc. A Surface phone or anything branded MS won't help, Microsoft does not equal cool to anyone under 30 IMO.

90% of the problems with Windows Phone are caused by MS not any of the partners. The move from 7 to 8 was a reset, probably due to some internal infighting at MS, and it sure didn't instill confidence in the platform. The stupid non swapable external SD cards in the Samsung Focus, & the laughable screen tapping turn by turn directions in Bing maps in WP7 is all on MS. I think Nokia is the one who made the wrong bet & should have done Android & their own platform side by side. Look at it from Nokia's point of view they come out with their first Windows phones & shortly afterwards MS says WP 8 will be based on a different architecture, & current phones won't be upgradable. Then to really let Nokia know they've been screwed MS doesn't deny that they may come out with a Surface phone LOL.

I have a Lumia 920 & wouldn't get any other WP because the added Nokia stuff fills in a lot of gaps left by MS in WP8

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Thurrot likes MS's products, but always is critical of their marketing and general plans for success. Since Nokia is supposed to be a large part of WP's success, he will be critical of them by association.

If MS expected HTC to be huge then he would have said that HTC is inept and praised Nokia. If MS had Samsung as their big player, he would criticize Samsung.

He has an opinion just like everyone else. And it's no more valid than anyone else's. I'd actually say in instances about MS's long term business growth, it may be less valid than many others because he's pretty much going to take a Debbie Downer viewpoint most of the time.

Everyone has that friend that's pretty smart and is fun to discuss stuff with, but is so negative that sometimes you have learned to not take some things they say seriously.

Yeah. He's THAT guy.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Who here joined WP for the first time because of Nokia?

I did.

Nokia is not circling the drain. WP8 is still new to the market and these things can take some time. WP8 may not have been an overnight success, but it is far from a failure. Eventually, there will be a critical mass and it will draw the attention of developers. However, it may not necessarily be US-based devs.

santillanavila1993

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I joined WP because of Nokia as well. Best camera and screen on a phone, The potential for a great windows 8/xbox ecosystem and the innovative look of WP did it for me. The only concern I have is the divisive nature of Microsoft. The argument that BB10 is supported on all,carriers doesn't mean much because HTC has their phones on all other carriers. Nokia is planning something with Verizon anyways.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I've asked it before, I'll ask it again: what the heck do people think Microsoft can bring to the table? Microsoft's advertising has been so terrible that Lumia is a stronger brand than Windows Phone, it has no expertise in any mobile hardware components, it doesn't have the distribution channels, and will not provide any exclusive software with its devices.

All the Surface Phone can do is bring 1) an attractive form factor and 2) an attractive price tag. 1) is already handled just fine by HTC and Nokia. 2) won't result in any sizable market share gain if the distribution is restricted similar to the Nexus 4 and the Surface RT.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, Nokia is doing rather well for a company that was on life support previously.

Actually, that remains to be seen. If Nokia returns to solid profitability on the back of Windows Phone sales, we can say it's doing well. Last quarter was horrible (and to be fair, that was expected given the Great Windows Phone 7 Wipe-Out), but right now, Nokia's in severe financial distress.

It has laid off about 40% of its employees world wide and floated two "junk bond" sub--prime issues in the past 18 months for operating cash.

That's not a company that is "out of the woods" yet.

wazup113

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
One of my favorite things out of Nokia camp is when ppl were saying that HTC "copied" Nokia with bold colors on their phone. Nokias response was simply that it doesn't matter because it benefits the entire platform. Makes the entire platform look more appealing than iPhones and androids. This tells me that Nokia ACTUALLY Cares about the success of windows phone more than anything else....and more than Microsoft.

obviously not because if he wanted the os to grow he would...you know...not put their flagship phone on a single carrier for 6 months and not even the largest one in america. he might get a little more money on the exclusive deal but doubt that. point is he probably just didn't want to sound to make htc/microsoft angry or something

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
All the Surface Phone can do is bring 1) an attractive form factor and 2) an attractive price tag. 1) is already handled just fine by HTC and Nokia. 2) won't result in any sizable market share gain if the distribution is restricted similar to the Nexus 4 and the Surface RT.

So where can I get a WP8 with a physical keyboard? What about a game controller on it? Sure the touch screen slab form factors are being covered by Nokia and HTC, but I don't see anyone bringing a physical keyboard to the table. Plus if I'm shrinking down in size the physical keyboard would come in handy.

I have a HTC TITAN, which I got just before Nokia released the Lumia 800.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3