possible IE bug causing hot phone, low battery, and data overages?

castewa88

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My wife has twice brought me her phone when it was really hot (even through the case) and the battery was draining very quickly. Both times, when I unlocked the phone, there was a web page trying to load. It's a page she views, but the page never full loads. The progress indicator on the address bar gets about 90% across and then stops progressing.

At first, I couldn't reproduce this problem on my own phone. (We both use the Lumia 920.) So, I deleted all of her temporary files and that seemed to resolve the issue. However, an hour later the page was again not loading completely.

The web page is www.alabamawx.com. It's a weather blog that allows readers to add comments using Facebook integration. The issue seems to be that if she is signed into Facebook on the browser, the page will not fully load. If she is not signed into Facebook in the browser, the page will load. I was able to reproduce this on my own phone.

It seems that when this page is viewed and then the phone is locked, the page continues trying to load even under the lock screen. This causes the phone to get very hot and causes battery drain. It also causes unnecessary bandwidth usage. We never had this problem using our previous phones (Samsung Focus). She would typically use about 25% of the 2 GB data plan each month. This month, she's already exceeded the full 2 GB allowance about 1 week into the billing cycle, so we're having to pay overage charges for the next gigabyte.

We seem to have found a workaround by changing the browser setting to default to desktop view of web pages instead of the mobile view, but this is not always a convenient solution.

I just wanted to share our experience. If anyone has other ideas regarding the possible root cause of the problem and how to avoid it, please let us know. If this is really a defect in the browser, hopefully it can be confirmed and fixed. A browser defect causing data overages (not to mention battery drain and a hot device) would seem to be a pretty significant problem.

castewa88

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I tested this out on an 8X at Best Buy today and could not reproduce it there. What really stood out to me, though, was that the Facebook mobile web site was an entirely different site on the 8X than it is on my Lumia. The site had detailed menus and really looked a lot more like an app than the mobile web site I'm used to.

castewa88

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
As of this afternoon, my Lumia is now also showing the different Facebook mobile site (see previous post), and at the same time the original issue I was having seems to have stopped occurring. I think the new site may be the Facebook "touch" site, and m.facebook.com for Windows phones has perhaps been gradually starting to resolve users to the touch site? I don't guess I can be sure exactly what was going on, but I've been working with it a bit today and the original problem continued to follow the same pattern until for about 5 minutes I couldn't login to facebook mobile at all and then suddenly when I did login it was this new look to the site and my original problem seems to be resolved. If it is resolved, then it must've been through changes to web pages and would have the potential to return, but at least for now I'm hoping this is something I won't have to deal with anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077