Seriously? Why? making the mistake of calling WP8 Windows 8.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/os-windows-8

Some idiot at rogers is making the mistake of calling WP8 Windows 8.

Nice.

Look where it says "Windows 8 Phones".

920 and ATIV.

I've seen this mistake made so many times.

Annoying to the customer. They expect Win8, but when they learn that WP8 ISN'T W8, they get angry and return it, or are just not happy with their device when the app stores are different and stuff.

C'mon, MS. Stop letting carriers do things like this.

Seriously? Why? making the mistake of calling WP8 Windows 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Seriously? Why?

This is like people making a big crap about people saying your instead of you're, who cares, you know what they are tryingn to say and in this case you know what they are referring to.

videoouija

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft hasn't done a good job on educating people on what's what. Many people are still confused over Windows RT, for example. (RT really should be Windows Tablet 8 as well to match naming and give a better idea.) Regardless, when you make all three of your consumer products look the same and all contain Windows and 8, this is bound to happen without a really good education campaign.

Edited to add: Much, much worse that a carrier is doing it.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
...who cares? Saying "Windows Phone 8 Phone" is just redundant. "Windows 8 Phone" works just fine.
it makes me want to slap someone every time I have to say "Windows Phone 8 phone".
That is the appropriate title, though (well maybe "Windows Phone 8 device").
Who in their right mind put the word "phone" in the name of the phone?
If I'm just speaking generally about it, I'll say "it's a window's phone".
But if I want to speak, specifically, about this version, then I'm constrained to do the whole thing.
Sent from my Verizon HTC 8X using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
5hZ9Q.png

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The Windows 8 thing is completely understandable, especially for someone that isn't super-familiar with Microsoft.

Microsoft made the branding WAY too confusing.

The only time I jump down someone's throat about it is if they're bashing Microsoft and claim to know "all about Windows 8 Phone." Chances are, if they don't know it's "Windows Phone 8," they also don't know enough about it to critique it.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The Windows 8 thing is completely understandable, especially for someone that isn't super-familiar with Microsoft.

Microsoft made the branding WAY too confusing.

The only time I jump down someone's throat about it is if they're bashing Microsoft and claim to know "all about Windows 8 Phone." Chances are, if they don't know it's "Windows Phone 8," they also don't know enough about it to critique it.

I agree, ms caused some of this problem.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
it makes me want to slap someone every time I have to say "Windows Phone 8 phone".
That is the appropriate title, though (well maybe "Windows Phone 8 device").
Who in their right mind put the word "phone" in the name of the phone?
If I'm just speaking generally about it, I'll say "it's a window's phone".
But if I want to speak, specifically, about this version, then I'm constrained to do the whole thing.
Um.. Like... Maybe Apple? I guess it's ok for them though, but not MS? I agree that MS needs to clean up brand identity, even worse with introducing Windows RT. but this rant about including phone in the name where they do is a little over the top. Is it great? No. Would Windows 8 Phone sound better? Yes, in my opinion. But, nobody says my iPhone 5 phone. If you want to talk generically Windows Phone should be good enough, but either way drop the redundancy.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Um.. Like... Maybe Apple? I guess it's ok for them though, but not MS? I agree that MS needs to clean up brand identity, even worse with introducing Windows RT. but this rant about including phone in the name where they do is a little over the top. Is it great? No. Would Windows 8 Phone sound better? Yes, in my opinion. But, nobody says my iPhone 5 phone. If you want to talk generically Windows Phone should be good enough, but either way drop the redundancy.
That's not really a valid comparison.
iPhone 5 is the phone's name.
It's not an iPhone 5 phone, it's an iOS 6 phone.
Saying iPhone 5 is like saying 8X (except that everyone knows what an iPhone is and very few people know what an 8X is).
I don't know if it would happen, but Apple will have to deal with the same issues if they ever allow third-party vendors to make iOS devices.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Carriers, MS own people, and others make that mistake. Microsoft is to blame for never having their act together when it comes to naming products. And that's that!

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Should have been Windows 8 phone anyway.....Windows 8 tablets, Win 8 desktops, win 8 phones etc.......and in the end who gives a crap, win 8 phone for win phone 8?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Why even call it a "Windows Phone 8?"

Just call it "the new Windows Phone."

Numbers are pass? for products these days, a legacy of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs