HELP! Critical Music Feature Lost with WP8

V3RACITY

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I understand now that WP8 will not sync with the Zune software, the critical feature that is now lost with this absurd dilema is the ability to rate a song, on your device using the heart/broken heart feature.

A work around would be to just add a specific song to a playlist, aside from the so called 'now playing' playlist, that doesn't show up on your PC or the 'Save to Playlist' button which adds an entire album.

What I don't understand is why they would completely deactivate the heart/broken heart feature since as far as I can find it doesn't mean anything anymore when you tap it as there is no 'Auto-Playlist'

Before if I liked a song that I played on my phone I could keep track of it by having it be added to an auto playlist by hearting it, or on my iPhone by 5 staring a song and making an auto playlist that automatically added songs to it that I had 5 Starred.

This is a vital feature, one that should not have been removed, and is absurd that it is gone.

Is there a way to rate a song on WP8? Any ideas on a work around to just be able to create a playlist on the phone using my own music? Will they be fixing this problem in the future? Will WP8 ever sync with Zune? Please let me know any additional info you have found. I have read a few similar threads though nothing very useful has been said.

One other question is will there ever be a Volume Up Volume Down fix to my Nokia Lumia 920 running WP8 for my V-Moda Remix headphones. I can Pause, Skip, and Go Back with the center button, but the up and down volume does not work on my phone. It did with my old iPhone. It seems like a simple feature to just have each button work. Why doesn't it? When will it?

wp_ss_20121225_0002.png

Last edited:

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I'm missing something but the rating is above the shuffle toggle.

As for the headphones, I believe that your issue is with the headphones and not the device as headphones that are designed for the iPhone tend to not work well with other phones. Take a look around the forums; I know that has been discussed in depth before.

V3RACITY

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
When you click the Heart Rating, the rating doesn't seem to be stored anywhere, now that you cannot access or sync using the Zune software (it used to be synced in Zune) so when you heart, broken heart, or leave it blank, it does nothing.

Not sure that the headphones are designed specifically for the iPhone either, any idea why they don't work well with other phones, or even media devices. I remember having similar headphones with volume control work on my old 80gb zune

Not sure if I'm missing something but the rating is above the shuffle toggle.

As for the headphones, I believe that your issue is with the headphones and not the device as headphones that are designed for the iPhone tend to not work well with other phones. Take a look around the forums; I know that has been discussed in depth before.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It was stated that Windows Phone hardware would only support 3-button controls. I'm assuming those three buttons were Play/Pause, Previous, and Next.

I guess the hardware just doesn't support the volume controls.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Xbox Music (on the PC) doesn't support song ratings or play counts either. I am assuming this will be added in with the new social features that will be added in the future (and all synced to the cloud).

We will see though. It definitely is absurd for this capability to be missing. I used to rely pretty heavily on it for smart playlists

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Play Count/Last Played Date do not seem to go back into Media Center. (My home PC is Win7 still.)

On the PC I have some auto play lists, like New (Zero play count) and Not Heard Lately (Play Date older than 6 months). Keeps me cycling through my music pretty good, except when I sync up, none of that data seems to be shared from my phone!!!

THIS IS A BIG DEAL!!!

zedmartinez

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've commented on this on other threads here, but here's the skinny with WP and headsets. One, yes, they do support volume up and volume down. I know because I use that daily. What they don't do, and will likely never update to do, is support iPhone-compatible headsets. Those use a proprietary resistance for the mic and controls that Apple came up with, and Android and WP don't like supporting it. So, what you'll need is a headset either designed just for WP (the cheap pair that came with the original Focus, the Nokia Purity line, etc), or a pair designed just for Android (the white HTC/Monster Urbeats that came out with the One series Androids work fine). Other than that, it just has to use the American jack system post order, but that's pretty much true of all headsets except a few designed specifically for some Galaxy series Androids which needed the International version.

TL:DR: Your iPhone compat headsets probably won't ever work and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a firmware update to do so, if you want headsets buy Purity or a pair that says "For Android"

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Not much point bumping this thread - you have your answer. Xbox Music on WP8 is currently missing some very basic/essential features, including song rating and playlist management.

Xbox Music on WP8 is, in its current form, garbage.

I am waiting to throw subscription money at a decent service like Spotify or Deezer or anyone who can put out a good WP8 app with good Windows sync'ing. Unfortunately, there's no ETA for Spotify beyond "early 2013".

This, together with the removal of the ability to subscribe to podcasts (!) - both major steps backwards from what we had with WP7 - has left me sorely disappointed with WP8.

A lot has, apparently, been done under the hood and WP8 is now, supposedly, futureproof, but honestly all I can see is missing features and a slightly more customisable start screen. Great.

I hope MS fixes these things quickly, but I am not holding my breath. If my HTC 8X could be 'downgraded' to WP7.5, I'd do it. Seriously.

Go here and register your disappointment:
Feature Suggestions: Hot (19993 ideas)
and Master List Of Issues With XBox Music On WP8 - Microsoft Community

V3RACITY

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The most effective and viable solution to this problem thus far has been to use Spotify. I am currently on the one month free trial, but with how awesome it is to be able to view and share playlists with my family and friends as well as make them available offline I will likely pay the 10 bucks a month to have it add free and fully available on my phone.

If anyone else has any other solutions they have found or agree that Spotify is the best option to this absurd dilemma please post.

Here is the link for Spotify
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/spotify/10f2995d-1f82-4203-b7fa-46ddbd07a6e6

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I moved all my ratings from Zune -> iTunes and just sync a smart playlist to my phone. It's a huge step back from the Zune software, but still less terrible than dealing with Xbox music. Microsoft knows the music experience on WP8 is bad, I'm guessing they just have bigger things to fix.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Been a couple months, anyone have any news on a possible fix or possible way to create a playlist on the WP8 handset?

Start playing music

Long hold to add to current playlist

At the now playing screen, tap the song list

Press the save button.

I don't know why so many people are ignorant of this.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

V3RACITY

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the feedback, this is absolutely a newer feature. Glad they made the fix. Still a key feature is to be able to add to another playlist already created. (emulating a smart playlist rating feature)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the feedback, this is absolutely a newer feature. Glad they made the fix. Still a key feature is to be able to add to another playlist already created. (emulating a smart playlist rating feature)

Just adding ... you can create multiple playlists and modify them as you wish by Windows Explorer (delete, add, change order of songs) ...

V3RACITY

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Just adding ... you can create multiple playlists and modify them as you wish by Windows Explorer (delete, add, change order of songs) ...

The whole reason the feature of being able to rate a song to a smart playlist on the go was that it is exactly that... on the go.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

This feature has been in place since WP7.5, or perhaps even earlier.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb