Syncing Outlook Calendar Appointments

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
As many know, if you receive an Appointment from Outlook in your email on your phone, it is a bunch of junk and you can't add it to your calendar. So, it took some work, but I figured out a workaround, at least for Outlook 2007/2010.

In Outlook, someone can create an appointment just like regular. However, instead of doing an invitation straight from the initial appointment, save it as an appointment in your Outlook Calendar. Then, open it back up and click the little arrow by the Forward and select Forward as iCalendar. It will then open an email with the appointment as an attachement and you can send it to your mobile users, all platforms (well, didn't really test BB). Of course, it will easily put it in Iphone and in Google, you have to press a couple of things and it will add to your calendar.

In Windows Phone, when you first get the ,ics attachment, it will ask you to go to Marketplace and get an app. Get Add to Calendar, which will open up the .ics file. Then it is just a matter of selecting which calendar and it will add it.

Hopefully this works well for those that need it. Let us know if there are any issues.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Mine show up on my phone just fine, you don't even need to accept and the tentative meeting shows

So if someone sends you an Outlook appointment from their computer (not Outlook.com), to an email account on your phone, it shows up as an appointment and can be added to your phone calendar directly from the email?? Are you using Exchange??????

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
So if someone sends you an Outlook appointment from their computer (not Outlook.com), to an email account on your phone, it shows up as an appointment and can be added to your phone calendar directly from the email?? Are you using Exchange??????

i will answer that with exchange this works fine

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
i will answer that with exchange this works fine

Yes, I'm sure it works fine with Exchange. But for those poor companies like mine, with no Exchange, an Outlook appointment sent phones will not work right because it is formatted as a vcalender file. However, the icalender file works good, but Outlook will not send that format by default. You have to create the appointment and then forward it. But hey, that seems to work, except that one of my users did not get the calendar attachment in his email. I have to figure that out.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure it works fine with Exchange. But for those poor companies like mine, with no Exchange, an Outlook appointment sent phones will not work right because it is formatted as a vcalender file. However, the icalender file works good, but Outlook will not send that format by default. You have to create the appointment and then forward it. But hey, that seems to work, except that one of my users did not get the calendar attachment in his email. I have to figure that out.

Not sure what version of Outlook you are running, but did you try this when sending invites? Send an Internet (iCal) meeting request - Outlook - Office.com

Also, again none of my business but office365 for small business has some really affordable plans that start around 6 bucks a month per user that includes exchange, not sure what setup you have now...but just putting the info out there!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Not sure what version of Outlook you are running, but did you try this when sending invites? Send an Internet (iCal) meeting request - Outlook - Office.com

Also, again none of my business but office365 for small business has some really affordable plans that start around 6 bucks a month per user that includes exchange, not sure what setup you have now...but just putting the info out there!

Awesome, perfect. I thought there might be a way to change it in Outlook, but couldn't find it. Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6