An Annoying Thing About Live Tiles

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is a restriction from the SDK or just the way developers are implementing things. However, there is something I find annoying about many live tiles. It's the way they cycle through information.

There will typically be one tile that contains no useful live information, such as just the icon/graphics for the app. Then it rotates to something useful, like shortcut info, news headline, etc. When it comes to the live tile I really don't need to see the "no info" tile in rotation. I find myself having to wait for the rotation to occur before I can see what's there.

An example of this would be creating a music shortcut or the top headline on the CNN app.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it's down to developers to be creative with live tiles. Flixster acts just like you describe but ESPN Scorecenter for instance does what you ask, you get game scores without the tile having to flip. It's not an issue with the SDK.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is a restriction from the SDK or just the way developers are implementing things. However, there is something I find annoying about many live tiles. It's the way they cycle through information.

There will typically be one tile that contains no useful live information, such as just the icon/graphics for the app. Then it rotates to something useful, like shortcut info, news headline, etc. When it comes to the live tile I really don't need to see the "no info" tile in rotation. I find myself having to wait for the rotation to occur before I can see what's there.

An example of this would be creating a music shortcut or the top headline on the CNN app.

Well, from a branding standpoint, I'd think they would want their brand displayed as well as any live information.
As Tahiti Bob said, its nothing to do with the SDK - they have the CHOICE to put whatever they like on the front tile/back tile, etc

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the branding but I think the cases that have been bothering me are probably just poorly thought out app designs. Branding and useful info can go together.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess it all comes down to the app and what kind of information the app will display. All blame falls on the shoulders of the developer to take advantage of the sdk and make it work in the best way possible.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I actually like to see the tiles flip to display information but I guess that's just me.

Me too but I just don't like it when one of the states has no info. For instance, if I create several music shortcuts in Rhapsody or Nokia Music they rotate between nothing and then the shortcut's name. In the case of Nokia Music I discovered it shows the name full time when minimized.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786