Sign this Petition to bring Google apps to WP!

Jenna Brittingham

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
:eck:I'm signing this because if they won't give us any other cool apps they can give us this one ATLEAST I mean that is the least they can do. They are just being ridiculous now. Its making me want to switch my service.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
For me it has nothing to do with evil. I didn't use google services when I had my evo because I didn't care for them. I certainly don't have any use for them now that I'm on Windows Phone.

I can understand that there are people that do use those services and would like to have them. But I don't see why they are suprised when not everyone wants to line up behind them.

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about being tracked, you are right turn off your computer and your phone. What Google is doing is promoting open in marketing, but working behind the scenes to close off their ecosystem. It is starting now with EAS which just does not hurt WP8, but also iphone users. If you want push email now on your iPhone you can't use the built in mail app unless you pay for Google Apps. Pushing everything into Google + is an easy way to keep all your info in one place to sell to advertisers, and Google is an advertising company. My biggest fear is different however. Last year they made a big deal of picking one city to install "Google Fiber". Now they said they are interested in adding more areas to this service. On the face, this service seems awesome. Very fast fiber right into your home. However, we would now be allowing one company that has a lot of incentive to control where you go on the internet with that control. Once they get enough market share, why not only Google as your search engine if Yahoo doesn't pay Google to allow their users through THEIR fiber? Why not turn off YouTube competitors, or only allow streaming through Google Play and not Netflix?

I don't like when ANY company tries to do this. Microsoft got in pretty big trouble in the 90's doing things like this. Using market share to push other products to the determent of others. Even if the Google execs right now don't plan on doing this, what happens when the stock holders realize they are sitting on another 40 billion a year of revenue if they do some of these things? They do have a fiduciary responsibility to them.

I tell people all the time to spread their life over different companies on the internet. If you have the know how and money, I like making your own personal hub online with wordpress or squarespace and just pushing those updates to the other networks.

That makes a lot of sense as a concern, but it just wouldn't work. While there are moron consumers out their who follow the rules to a T and do what companies tell them there are also people like us who would notice such a change instantly. A plan like that would fail hard and they'd burn alive because of it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
People are assholes and simple minded. They think the big corporate company they use don't do any of these things and that only the other big corporate company does. ****ing idiots on the internet, I swear I hate them. I signed the petition.
So you don't use FB or Bing or Twitter or any services of the like I presume either?

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I see this as a good sign for Microsoft, they claim there is not enough market share. Yet with sales growing on the WP8 platform and oh I dunno ms owning 90% of the OS market, this is a lie. Google now sees MS approaching their market, the mobile market and the search engine market. This is there way of fighting the competition. There goal here is not to drop support, but a move to tell people looking for phones don't buy ms products because our stuff isn't there.

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
People are assholes and simple minded. They think the big corporate company they use don't do any of these things and that only the other big corporate company does. ****ing idiots on the internet, I swear I hate them. I signed the petition.

My thoughts exactly! If you're on the internet you're already ****ed lol.

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So you don't use FB or Bing or Twitter or any services of the like I presume either?
You are correct, I do not use FB or Twitter. I can keep in touch with family and friends withouth public social media.
I do use search engines as I cannot do without them, but I general I am not logged on, so tracking is minimal.

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
So GPS is turned off and Microsoft doesn't collect any data at all from your Windows Phone where you are logged into your Microsoft account at all times? That would also mean you probably don't use any apps or email on your phone correct?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Petitions never work huh? So if I were to Google successful petitions the search list would be empty then? Makes sense.

I didn't say petitions never work, I just said I don't think a petition will work in this case. Google is Google, they now more about us, than we know ourselves, and they certainly now the smartphone market. I also believe the decision to not provide programs for WP is more due to political reasons, than to market share.

But if I am wrong, good for all of us. I'd welcome Google on WP8, as well as I like seeing Microsoft also investing in iOS and Android, even tough I would never use an iPhone.

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
What does google produce that we are so desperately lacking?

I like G+ and would like an app that isn't just a wrapper, I also use GTalk and it would be nice to get an official client, it would also be nice to access Google Drive. They provide a lot of services that a lot of people use, regardless of whether you don't odds are 10+ people you know do.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just want to say the level of paranoia people have in this thread is pretty impressive we're talking Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory paranoid (except you guys have no proof of Google turning evil). Regardless of where you go on the internet or what you use to access it you're leaving a trace behind. If you have a cell phone you're leaving a trace and information is being sold about what you do with it, the list goes on and on,while I don't use all Google services a few would be nice to have.

Google is not turning evil - it has been about as evil as the tech world gets since the day it went public. Its issues with privacy violations, harvesting data from non-Google customers, manipulation of markets by dumping products at below cost, copyright violations, patent violations, etc., etc., are hardly imaginary. Anyone who cannot see the facts about Google is wearing some seriously rose colored glasses. Quite frankly, the only thing Google really demonstrates is the extent to which people will sign away their privacy rights (and more) if someone gives you free or cheap stuff, even if the stuff is mostly Walmart quality garbage. BTW, the statement everyone does something certainly does not excuse the company that has made such abuses an art form.

howie

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I see this as a good sign for Microsoft, they claim there is not enough market share. Yet with sales growing on the WP8 platform and oh I dunno ms owning 90% of the OS market, this is a lie. Google now sees MS approaching their market, the mobile market and the search engine market. This is there way of fighting the competition. There goal here is not to drop support, but a move to tell people looking for phones don't buy ms products because our stuff isn't there.

Not sure I agree with you. Microsoft may have a large share of desktop/laptop OSes, but not mobile devices (phones/tablets). In fact, that is an extremely low percent (for now).
I do not think Google pulled EAS because it wanted to be "a jerk" and screw over anyone not using an Android. But, in my opinion, it was a financial decision. Everyone has to license EAS and it may be a large toll for them, based on the millions of users they have using Gmail. That is the #1 email service, so think of the fees they could be paying out per user"

Exchange ActiveSync Protocol

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Google is not turning evil - it has been about as evil as the tech world gets since the day it went public. Its issues with privacy violations, harvesting data from non-Google customers, manipulation of markets by dumping products at below cost, copyright violations, patent violations, etc., etc., are hardly imaginary. Anyone who cannot see the facts about Google is wearing some seriously rose colored glasses. Quite frankly, the only thing Google really demonstrates is the extent to which people will sign away their privacy rights (and more) if someone gives you free or cheap stuff, even if the stuff is mostly Walmart quality garbage. BTW, the statement everyone does something certainly does not excuse the company that has made such abuses an art form.

So what major corporation do you utilize that doesn't harvest your personal information or likes or what have you? I'd be very interested to know. There isn't a thing on the internet that isn't collecting some form of data for some reason. We're all being manipulated by the system and the only way around it is to not use technology. We're valuable assets I get that, but there's no company who does what Google does and offers the quality of products Google does for free without doing the exact same thing Google does.

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So GPS is turned off and Microsoft doesn't collect any data at all from your Windows Phone where you are logged into your Microsoft account at all times? That would also mean you probably don't use any apps or email on your phone correct?
I did not say I live in a Hutterite colony. I do drink coffee and coke. I do use the GPS when I need it, and email all the time. However, I consider MS being less evil than Google. Just my personal preference, feel free to use whoever you want.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Uh... No.

I spent 3 hours deleting the 2,000 emails i had in my inbox and also the ones in my sent folder. A few seconds deleting every contact i had stored in Gmail. And 3 mins going through all my docs on Google Drive. I closed as many accounts as i could that were linked to my gmail account.

I'm proud to say that apart from Youtube, and the few things that use my gmail address, i'm Google-free. And it's a good thing too since they're getting rid of EAS.

Sorry for the trollish-rant but i've washed my hands, and i encourage all of you to do the very same.

EDIT: Forgot about chrome... I'm slowly moving back to IE, i got tired of seeing so many tailored Ad Choices after a simple search about an insurance company. -_-

sdrawkcabII

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Would you people just sign the bloody petition and hope it gets taken seriously?! I hate shortsightedness, and that's all I'm seeing here. How does signing the petition automatically put google on your phone, if you don't want it on your phone? It doesn't, it only providess the option of having Google. You don't have to install any of their apps if you don't want to.

I swear some of you people here, with your elitist attitudes, want WP to fail. Despite what some of you do, or think, there are millions of people using Google's services, and not having these services plays a factor in them buying a new phone. So, even if not having google on your phone may not bother you, it will bother others. And a phone's success depends on its marketshare and adoption rate, so why wouldn't you want to give WP8 the best chance it has at being successful? Because, rest assured, if a lot of people don't migrate, kiss your WP good bye, and THAT will affect you. WP8 needs all the help it can get, and Microsoft so far is doing a lousy job to push this wonderful device; indeed, WP8 needs all the help it can get. So please, just sign the bloody petition.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about being tracked, you are right turn off your computer and your phone. What Google is doing is promoting open in marketing, but working behind the scenes to close off their ecosystem. It is starting now with EAS which just does not hurt WP8, but also iphone users. If you want push email now on your iPhone you can't use the built in mail app unless you pay for Google Apps. Pushing everything into Google + is an easy way to keep all your info in one place to sell to advertisers, and Google is an advertising company. My biggest fear is different however. Last year they made a big deal of picking one city to install "Google Fiber". Now they said they are interested in adding more areas to this service. On the face, this service seems awesome. Very fast fiber right into your home. However, we would now be allowing one company that has a lot of incentive to control where you go on the internet with that control. Once they get enough market share, why not only Google as your search engine if Yahoo doesn't pay Google to allow their users through THEIR fiber? Why not turn off YouTube competitors, or only allow streaming through Google Play and not Netflix?

I don't like when ANY company tries to do this. Microsoft got in pretty big trouble in the 90's doing things like this. Using market share to push other products to the determent of others. Even if the Google execs right now don't plan on doing this, what happens when the stock holders realize they are sitting on another 40 billion a year of revenue if they do some of these things? They do have a fiduciary responsibility to them.

I tell people all the time to spread their life over different companies on the internet. If you have the know how and money, I like making your own personal hub online with wordpress or squarespace and just pushing those updates to the other networks.

Ok, your post is really bugging me. You have so many holes in your "fears" that it's not even funny. :eck:

Firstly, net neutrality. Zing. That was easy.

Second, MSFT had a target on it's back in those days from the smaller companies that wanted to throw stones at the giant. They didn't use their market share as you describe, they used it to squeeze cash out of their supply channels all the way down to the retail level. And it also stemmed both from others feeling like they weren't given enough info my MSFT about upcoming versions of Windows to be prepared for release and that the release of versions of windows were deliberately delayed to cause market share loss. (long multiple stories made short) No one complains about OSX ONLY having Safari installed and not asking you if you want to choose a different web browser. Nor does anyone complain about Chrome and it's browser UI (which arguably is cloud based anyway).

Why would you "spread your life" over different companies on the internet? (I'm assuming you mean online services offered and not ISP stuff) Instead of having one company with books to parse through your info you're handing it out to more than one. If you're smart about it, it's quite easy to just pick up your stuff and move from one service to another. You'd have to keep your digital life quite organised and manageable.

Heck you could even disconnect altogether and be done with it. That's not impossible, it's just what you chose not to do. Offline: how's it going? | The Verge

^if that doesn't make sense i'm sorry... it's 3am and i didn't sleep a wink the previous night

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Would you people just sign the bloody petition and hope it gets taken seriously?! I hate shortsightedness, and that's all I'm seeing here. How does signing the petition automatically put google on your phone, if you don't want it on your phone? It doesn't, it only providess the option of having Google. You don't have to install any of their apps if you don't want to.

I swear some of you people here, with your elitist attitudes, want WP to fail. Despite what some of you do, or think, there are millions of people using Google's services, and not having these services plays a factor in them buying a new phone. So, even if not having google on your phone may not bother you, it will bother others. And a phone's success depends on its marketshare and adoption rate, so why wouldn't you want to give WP8 the best chance it has at being successful? Because, rest assured, if a lot of people don't migrate, kiss your WP good bye, and THAT will affect you. WP8 needs all the help it can get, and Microsoft so far is doing a lousy job to push this wonderful device; indeed, WP8 needs all the help it can get. So please, just sign the bloody petition.

Seriously people, you all keep saying if you don't like WP because it doesn't have the apps you want get a different phone, that's a downright terrible attitude to have towards new potential consumers and the operating system as a hole. Like it or not to succeed WP8 NEEDS to have Google's app support. Regardless of whether or not you use it SOMEONE DOES in fact MILLIONS DO, Gmail is the most popular email client, Chrome is the most popular browser on the planet, whether you feel like it's a ghost town or not people do use Google+ and it has a lot to offer compared to FB and it's constantly irritating problems. I chose WP because I love the UI and the smoothness and fluidity throughout the entire OS, I also thought I chose it because it seemed to have a genuinely nicer community, however it seems I was quite wrong their. A lot of you do feel elitist and just ignore what's in front of your eyes, or tell others looking for a certain app to f _ _ k off and cry about it while they exchange their WP for an iPhone or Android device. We need new users and to do that we need more apps by popular developers such as Google, the Instagram team, etc., etc. just sign the petition, not for your sake but for the ecosystem's as a whole.

/rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion