(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Twice Born

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Things I'd like to be able to do with WP8 that I can't.

How were you watching flash videos on your iPhone. iOS doesn't support flash...

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Keyboard Input just not that great

I like it better than the iOS keyboard. The predictive text seems to come up with the right word most of the time, it doesn't autocorrect to something completely different like iOS seems to do on me. I have an IPhone 4 running iOS 6.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

1. Allowed to pick a search provider for the search softkey.
2. When making calls and browsing web, that damned bar "Tap to expand" is interfering with browsing. It blocks part of the page and you can't move the page over without it snapping back to where it was. Either make the tap to expand message bar auto-hide or scale the browser window to allow proper viewing of the page!
3. Ability to close an app without repeatedly hitting the back button (looking at you IE!)
4. A more accurate battery meter.
5. Ability to set a custom sound for txt'ing and email. You're only able to pick from default sounds that came with phone at this point.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Its not bad but the problem is, as other things with this OS, MS blocks devs from giving us a choice. THAT is ny biggest issue. Too many things blocked that devs could do better or provide another option for those not happy with stock app.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
RE: Keyboard Input just not that great

I was feeling a bit like that, u till I realized that my big issue was that my personal "Dictionary" has not transferred over from my Lumia 900 to my new Lumia 920. Wish there was a way to do that. Otherwise, its better than the keyboards on the iPhone 4s & 5 in my house. Sadly, autocorrect doesn't come up with all those hilarious lines like on the iPhone, but I don't type for others amusement.

Goddam I miss Swype so much though!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah personally I prefer that of iOS's. I keep hitting the comma instead of the space, no matter how I try to avoid hitting it.

Boris Gong

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

I agree with most of your points.

But why the "quit" option? Maybe music/radio apps was different, but most apps I see completely quit when pressing "back" button.

We put "quit-when-pressing-back" and "quit confirm" feature on our app, but some users asked to remove the "quit confirm" because they think pressing back = quit.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Internet Explorer is a pain to quit, having to repeatedly hit the back button. Also for some reason, if I just open Youtube, I can't close IE. I have to go to another page, and then hot the back button multiple times to close it.

I agree with most of your points.

But why the "quit" option? Maybe music/radio apps was different, but most apps I see completely quit when pressing "back" button.

We put "quit-when-pressing-back" and "quit confirm" feature on our app, but some users asked to remove the "quit confirm" because they think pressing back = quit.

cuzincurly

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

delayed notifications...I almost never get my facebook/twitter notifications on my facebook and me live tiles...seldom do they display notifications on time.

Stang5_o2002

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
RE: Things I'd like to be able to do with WP8 that I can't.

All of above and separate volume controls for media\games and alerts\ringers. Also, if my phone is on silent, and I unplug it from the charger, it still makes the sound of being unplugged. Kind of defeats the purpose of being on silent. Especially if my gf is asleep beside me and I'm trying to avoid waking her up.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Dano 32

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Because it's easier and quicker especially when multiple apps are open. If I have an app running in the backround, like music or navigation, it's much easier to just navigate to that app, tap options, quit, instead of backing through a multitude of pages, meanwhile closing every app you opened since the one you wanted to close. How's that for a run on sentance?

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site

I come from Symbian and three things that I miss (having Lumia 920 since 22.11):

- Profiles. These were just great. Choose silent mode, normal mode, high volume mode etc.... So predefined volumes for each function and so on. This would be great.

- Nokia situations. This was app that you could setup phone based on time, location, known wifi or what ever you liked. Within home wifi, automatically do certain stuff, with certain time period(for night for example) choose silent profile etc...

- USB on the go. Just great feature to connect to any computer and its there as a removable disk. Great feature.

Small things but still...

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

• I would also like a notification center.
  • custom sms alerts
  • cross platform rooms to stay in constant communication with friends and family. i use groupme but the app is pretty terrible on windows phone. Or make rooms able to integrate with groupme kind of like threads that way i dont get a crappy experience and i can still share calendars with friends and familys normally.
  • one thing i would really like and idk if im the only one, but its been said that windows phones lacks customization, well i kind of agree dont really like just having one color all the time. i mean i dont mind it but id like to be able to make text messages one color and chat messages a different color to differentiate which is being sent to me. As well as set custom colors to specific tiles and have the notifications for said apps be in the color designated for them.
  • mark this one down as URGENT i really really wanna be able to make a playlist on my phone.....that doesnt require me to do is a certain way if not multiple ways.
  • popular apps developed in a more timely manner, even if ms has to pay moolah for them. These popular apps are what give people incentive to buy your product as well as having something that differentiates itself.
  • improved voice search, as well as improved voice recognition.
  • Call control - I can't block numbers, or simply make the device not pull alerts during certain hours. Android has had this for quite some time (through third party control) and iOS just got it with their "do not disturb" option.
these are my peeves

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Things I miss the most after upgrading from another OS, phone. Wishlist to Microsoft and Nokia?

I've recently moved to Lumia 920 from a Nokia N8. I thought I would compile what I really miss. I also thought to share this list so that others can add their personal list here as well. There is a similar thread from WP7 to WP8 but in this case as it was for me, this is a list o what I miss moving from another OS.
I understand this is early days for Nokia and Microsoft, and like with all good couples, it takes some time to fine tune. I stay hopeful they will continue to invest on their relationship as there is a lot to learn from each other.

My list of missing feature is the following, anyone who found a work around please share.

1) Syncing SMSs with the laptop.
That's not only for back up reason. I mean, with my "old" N8 I was able to send SMSs from my laptop via Nokia Suite. Now that's not possible (possibly thanks to Microsoft?). That's really missed when I need to write a long SMS or not to use my mobile phone when my manager is around..

Anyone who has found any alternatives for point number one?

2) Nokia Walk.
Yes, there is still the walk capability but in Lumia 920 the map doesn't rotate as a compass. It stays fixed and you can waste a lot of time finding what direction you should really take..No vibration signal when turning? No running in background when turning off the display?
The compass turning feature was a plus with the N8, I was showing off to all iPhone and Android users. Why they missed it on Lumia 920, I don't know.

3) BBC iPlayer.

4) Better reception,
I admit, there might still be an issue with the Network provider in my area, 3(UK).

5) Alarm Clock
to work when mobile phone is off! This morning I realised I slept 2 more than I should have..It didn't start as my phone was off.
I don't want to get phone calls while I'm sleeping, or worse, having to go through the menu and switch to flight mode. I found an alarm application that does the work but I would prefer a non ads one. The App is called Alarm Clock ++ but if there is any other better and without ads please let us know.

6) Very simple Phone app.
Not possible to edit the number, need to delete all the number and start again, etc. There are other apps out there doing all the tricks but they are ads run. I don't like ads at all, if I did I would get an Android! ;-)

7) Battery,
well, I bet all recent smartphones are screaming for that in a way or another.

8) Tethering,
the app included (Internet Sharing) seems very unstable to me. Not mentioning that it is very basic compare, let's say, Joikuspot with N8. Again, may be network issues but are there any other alternative apps to use for that?

9) Weight,
well.. that's life.. (no need to say more).. :)

>> Any work around? for any of the above points? Except the weight of course.. Are any of the above fixed with Portico update?

Apologies if this is a long thread post. Happy to learn here, first post on the great WPCentral! :)

Psaris

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

1. I don't like the integrated people hub. I prefer stand alone IM, Facebook, Linkedin etc apps. But to install them, now you're efectively running to instances of each application.
2. I don't want contacts added to my phone for every single person I have and email address for in Hotmail, nor for every single "friend" I have in Facebook, most of whom I'd never call...
3. I have absolutely no use for the "recent people" page, and wish I could either clear it, or better yet, remove it completely...
4. The calendar stright up sucks. It lacks any life. It's too small, you can't even zoom in, there's no weekly view, and you can't add any colour or icons to calendar dates to readily spot an appointment.
5. No way to turn the phone off while charging, and no option to set it to a "bedside" mode to silence inomming alerts while I'm sleeping. And since the phone has to be charged EVERY night, it now has to charge in another room, so there goes the alarm clock feature.
6. The music player lists most of my songs as "unkown artist", even tho all the info is there when you play the song...
7. It really is annoying to have to go into settings all the time to see a. battery life in %, and b. what wifi connection I'm on.
8. I have to manually add every pic I take as a favourite for it to update to my live tile. Pics taken from the phone should automatically update to the live tile IMO.
9. The alarm clock live tile should show what alarm time is set, so you can see at a glance.
10. Can't integrate Google Talk contacts into the native messaging app.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

1. I don't like the integrated people hub. I prefer stand alone IM, Facebook, Linkedin etc apps. But to install them, now you're efectively running to instances of each application.
2. I don't want contacts added to my phone for every single person I have and email address for in Hotmail, nor for every single "friend" I have in Facebook, most of whom I'd never call...
3. I have absolutely no use for the "recent people" page, and wish I could either clear it, or better yet, remove it completely...
4. The calendar stright up sucks. It lacks any life. It's too small, you can't even zoom in, there's no weekly view, and you can't add any colour or icons to calendar dates to readily spot an appointment.
5. No way to turn the phone off while charging, and no option to set it to a "bedside" mode to silence inomming alerts while I'm sleeping. And since the phone has to be charged EVERY night, it now has to charge in another room, so there goes the alarm clock feature.
6. The music player lists most of my songs as "unkown artist", even tho all the info is there when you play the song...
7. It really is annoying to have to go into settings all the time to see a. battery life in %, and b. what wifi connection I'm on.
8. I have to manually add every pic I take as a favourite for it to update to my live tile. Pics taken from the phone should automatically update to the live tile IMO.
9. The alarm clock live tile should show what alarm time is set, so you can see at a glance.
10. Can't integrate Google Talk contacts into the native messaging app.

5. Just turn the ringer and vibrate off? (under settings/sounds) I do this every night while the phone is on the charger.. Alarm still sounds just fine in the morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb