(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Psaris

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Things I miss the most after upgrading from another OS, phone. Wishlist to Microsoft and Nokia?

5) As far as I know, the alarm app works fine. I don't see how it would be possible for an app to actually turn on a phone if you've shut it off. If some other phone has this feature this is the first I'm hearing of it.

Blackberrys do it. I have had a Bold 9700 and a Torch 9810, and the "bedside mode" was awesome for blocking any incoming alerts while charging at night. But also the alarm clock would indeed turn the phone on from off to sound the alarm.

Psaris

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

7. When you're on the ear piece in a conversation, after the time-out period the screen blacks out. If you need to re-activate the screen to say key in a phone number or check an email for reference in the conversation, the phone doesn't react when you press the power button!

I'll assume you're using a Lumia 920, so I'm not sure about that handset, but my HTC 8X has a sensor that re-enebles the screen when you pull the phone away from your face...

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

You can make it so that the artists picture is displayed on the lockscreen while their song is on

I'm aware of this, but I'd rather see the album art than a picture of the artist, honestly.

Mosov

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
1 Month with Windows Phone: Honest Disappointment

I'd like to give a short but frank review of my experience with the Windows Phone in the past month. I have carried a Nokia Lumia 920. The best thing of the phone has been the camera, which comes from Nokia not the Windows software. The Windows Phone design is very refreshing and a big plus. But it goes downhill from there. The main issue that there's no sizeable community revolving around WP, which results in a severe lack of apps and support. Yeah there are some 3rd party apps that try to improve the experience, but in the end they are 3rd party apps. Missing official youtube and facebook apps is criminal in my view. Also, unless your entire ecosystem is synced with Microsoft, you are going to suffer, because there's absolutely no support for Google. At least in Apple, there is cross-border support. You can't even access google maps with IE. Because of this severe lack of apps, the capabilities of the WP is severely limited. In the end, I think Windows is making a good try, their design is very nice, but they might be too late into the game, and given what I have been reading, I think after the Holiday Season hype of WP is over, there's a good chance WP is going to crash and burn. I just don't see how WP can grow in a significant way. I'd like to be prove wrong, but that's what I see looking at it now. Anyways. Stuck with this phone for 2 years.

Sharpmango

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to recalibrate your expectations. Google hates wp8 and is looking to destroy it. Don't expect 'official' google apps for sometime on wp8. You'll have to embrace third party alternatives, the other option is you don't use that app at all.. And of course instead of constantly thinking how it isn't as good as ios and android, embrace the things it is good at.. It is an amazing phone.. It approaches things from a different angle, but its beautiful alright.. I for one love Nokia music, something i didn't even know about till i got the app.. I love the customised mixes i can get.. I love the skydrive and office functionality which no other ecosystem remotely offers.. And i love how simple it makes it to manage my contacts.. Just hang out on wpCentral, embrace your phone, and be part of something exciting :)

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Things I'd like to be able to do with WP8 that I can't.

2. I would like to be able to edit emails before I forward them. Not all previous information in some email is pertinent to the people I forward to... ie. bad jokes, people's contact info.in.

That's a big one for me. Should be basic. But overall I am very happy with my 8X.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
RE: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

Zune-esque software to manage music. Other than that, pretty happy.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
A big thing for me is how alot of things are so basic. Too basic. Calendar and email give very basic functionality and nothing more. The worst part is MS locks apps lock things down.
I can't save any email attachment file except for pic, PDF, doc, exel file. In my line of work, I sometimes need several types of files while working out and about. I rarely get WiFi and refuse to pay more to Tether. So in these instances in screwed. On Android, I could download any type of file and save it, and then access it via my laptop when I connect my phone to it.

I love the 920, and like the look of WP8, but unfortunately, there is alot I miss from Android. Hate it or not, there is next to nothing you couldn't do with Android and it had a very, very great dev community.

I have little faith in MS opening up things and ever allowing me yo save any file type for example. So I'm now seriously contemplating selling my 920 and getting an Android again.

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

@DaveGx you do realize that WP is 2 years old and android is like more than 4 years old and still runs like crap, laggy as **** (no wonder they created project butter). And you do realize that you need to have patience and faith. If the people that are working on WP sees your pessimistic attitude they will ignore your post and move on.
Stop harassing and hope for the best, it serves you no good to be angry on them.

If you are eager to use file manager go android.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I guess we could all list dozens of small tweaks (and maybe quite a few major changes) that we'd like to see to WP8...it'd be great if Microsoft could focus on a few of the most frequently complained issues and send an update out. Imagine if they:

- Separated the media and ringtone volume
- Gave us custom SMS notifications with ability to assign them to specific contacts
- Let us close apps from multi-task screen

A lot of people would be very happy!

Other things I wish we had, but aren't dealbreakers for me:

- File manager
- Easier way to attach documents to emails
- Put actual calendar entries into the monthly view
- Better toast notification options e.g. option to turn on toast notifications for emails
- Battery percentage next to indicator icon
- Notification centre - with options of what goes into it
- Ability for keyboard to store my email address (found this useful on my previous Android phone)

MainframeSysop

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

I'm part of that apparent 1% too. Personally I believe its rude to forsake the person who wants to be with you in the flesh for the dozens who text you and rather keep it that way. IMO.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

It isn't possible. Hopefully if someone needs you they will call you and you'll wake up. And if you don't, they will continue to call you

The problem with this, and it just happened to me, is we have a system that alerts if a server goes down, on-call person gets a text. The client is paying us to get that fixed 24/7 but they won't know till 8 am, so no one will call. thankfully, the other on-call person saw the alerts I slept through and called me, but I wasn't feeling well and slept through both the first and second alerts.

I've had palm, WM, webOS and android has been the first phone that hasn't had options for repeat notifications and it seems to be going backwards with this option. I set my phone down and play with my kids. I'll check if I think about it, but setting a beeb or led blink shouldn't be hard. the only notifications I have are text and VM. I just check email manually (I get too much and it's not a critically support contact method).

just seems like basic features from 5 years ago are going away, like custom alert tones, repeat notification, led notifications.. etc.

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
MS is killing my faith in WP.

They don't care, the Xbox game post here proves that. If halo can so easily be ported to WP, WHY NOT? I might get the iPhone when it comes out on T-Mobile, and the only reason is that there are no games to play. If halo or something was released on WP, I would stick to them without even thinking. Sadly, I love the UI...

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
My god man! The charging cord wouldn't support the juice needed to run halo in all its glory! And who the crap wants to play halo on a 4" screen?!?! My 42" screen is starting to look too small for gaming!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: MS is killing my faith in WP.

My god man! The charging cord wouldn't support the juice needed to run halo in all its glory! And who the crap wants to play halo on a 4" screen?!?! My 42" screen is starting to look too small for gaming!

I wouldn't mind a mobile optimised version of Halo tbh.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Jump higher then 47" when you upgrade... That's what I'm currently on and I think that's starting to get small myself.... NEED MOAR SCREEN!

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Ah well, i thought you probably going to talk about the bugs in WP! I agree that WP doesnt have good games, especially if your coming from Iphone or Andriod. Yeah i would like to test the graphic on my Nokia 920 with games from Gameloft as: Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour and from GLU mobile as: Eternity Warriors2 and of course Electronics Art: Need for Speed™ Most Wanted. And it would be cool if Halo is also available on WP. But dude games are not everything, and by time im hoping everything will be available.

But if im losing Faith in WP, it would be because of the bugs in it and also the lack of Applications. Yes there is a huge difference between application in WP and iOS or Andriod, but not all application are gr8 there too. I just wish for WP8 to get Viber supporting Voice, Adobe reader, Notification center and also some enhancement to other important Apps available now. The bugs in WP 8 such as in memory and the brightness makes you lose faith but im sure all of these will fixed... So dude have same faith and if you want to play games on your phone, then buy your self an Xbox or ps3 or something and enjoy your time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99