(Official) What WP needs to succeed

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gripes as an ex iPhone 4 user - come on MS

I wish it had all of those. Folders is the least important out of those for me, but I'd be very happy to see MS implement all of those features. It shouldn't be that hard.

Isn't Skype on all platforms?

And #1 is a feature of WP, unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Skype probably is, but Facetime works without any setup right out of the box. I'll look into Skype, but if it has ANY overhead in setup or use my wife and 9 year old won;t consider using it.

Unless both of my 920's are broken, or I missed the setting, my phone chimes when there is a notification but I have to fumble with the phone to turn on the screen and see what the notification actually is. I liked on my iPhone when the chime comes in I can just look at the screen and see what the notification is and the first few lines.

And I add to my list that I would like to see the call answering steps changed. I don't like to have to swipe the screen up before I can push another button to answer or ignore the call. An unecessary extra step in my opinion.

[edit:] Skype is available on all platforms, including iPad. I will be lookikng into it. Thanks.

Last edited:

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Some of those features are pretty nice...sometimes I wonder why I am stubbornly committed to the MS ecosystem. Lately I despise Google, but who knows, I still have respect for Apple.
You're not the only one. Google has seemed to push Windows out of the picture, or at least tried to.

Those features will probably come. Then again, Windows is a whole different mobile OS then Android and iPhone. It will have new things come that will be possibly better, and there will be things you miss.

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I too am a former iPhone user, all the way from 2 - 4s & am very happy with my new HTC 8x apart from (what seems to me) basics of the OS that are missing

Notifications certainly need improvement

Separate the volume from apps and ringtones

Better functionality for Facebook & twitter

The biggest for me is the car crash that is xbox music! Splitting albums into separate artists for compilations as an example is pitiful & that App2 "thing" as a file manager we are all pointed to is shocking

Basic stuff, all software based & I really hope they are sorted, even based on the number of threads and votes surely M$ will listen one day?!

I know the apps "we" miss from iOS will eventually appear but these criticisms are down to M$ really to change

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
@scubus
I don't know if you've noticed that when you get a text message, the lock screen will activate for a few seconds and show a preview of the message at the top. I'd at least like to see that blinking LED to let you know that you got something.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

@scubus
I don't know if you've noticed that when you get a text message, the lock screen will activate for a few seconds and show a preview of the message at the top. I'd at least like to see that blinking LED to let you know that you got something.

Hmmm.... is there a setting for this I may be missing? My screen doesn't activate (or it is so short as to be useless) and it is something I really found usefull. Not a major deal (there are other things on my wish list I'd rather see first) but if it is something I am doing...

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

I don't want WP to be iOS - or I sould have simply purchased an iPhone, but if iOS was on the Nokia, who knows. I was looking for somethign different. I'd really love to see Microsoft come up with unique solutions to the issues raised here, not just a recreation of the solutions Apple created.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

The fact is that WP is missing basic features most other OSes provide, like a separate volume for music and ringer/notifications. It's maddening to be missing such incredibly basic stuff.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm.... is there a setting for this I may be missing? My screen doesn't activate (or it is so short as to be useless) and it is something I really found usefull. Not a major deal (there are other things on my wish list I'd rather see first) but if it is something I am doing...

It really is short, I'd say maybe about 3 seconds and then the screen goes dark again. This is separate from the"detailed status" notification settings under lock screen.
Ok, make that 5 seconds, I just ran a test. Now I'm wondering if the notification that you choose to have with"detailed status" is the one that it's gonna activate the lock screen as I described.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
RE: Gripes as an ex iPhone 4 user - come on MS

Still way better than IOS right out of the gate, give it time. I can get most things done with a flick or two instead of having to open half a dozen apps.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It really is short, I'd say maybe about 3 seconds and then the screen goes dark again. This is separate from the"detailed status" notification settings under lock screen.
Ok, make that 5 seconds, I just ran a test. Now I'm wondering if the notification that you choose to have with"detailed status" is the one that it's gonna activate the lock screen as I described.

Like if I get a notification the screen stays dark if its in my pocket. Then if I pull it out in automatically turns on (as long as I pull it out within seconds of the notification.

Test that by putting your hand over your light sensor.

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Still way better than IOS right out of the gate, give it time. I can get most things done with a flick or two instead of having to open half a dozen apps.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Absolutely right, it is why I really like the OS & my shiny new HTC its just the basic functionality that needs working on. It does remind me of early iPhones & iOS, there were bugs (still are!) & with time & if M$ listen to us customers I think it'll come good

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't want WP to be iOS - or I sould have simply purchased an iPhone, but if iOS was on the Nokia, who knows. I was looking for somethign different. I'd really love to see Microsoft come up with unique solutions to the issues raised here, not just a recreation of the solutions Apple created.

Nor do I, that's why I bought a Win8 device, what I do want however is the basic functionality of a smartphone that is just that, smart. If MS want the phones to be all in one then things like separate volume for ringtone's and media, better & easier media management - in my opinion of course but I've always used my phone as an all in one but if I'm listening to Aqua (joke!) at full whack I don't then want my ringtone to blast out at the same volume
Equally the choice if media manager would be good and an OS that can handle a compilation album

Just my thoughts, my Win8 phone is a breath of fresh air, and being able to use windows explorer to drag & drop a God send 😎

Last edited by a moderator:

BT_man

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I wonder if Microsoft would be willing to reconfigure the bing button. OK, the musicmatch and bing vision is pretty cool, but the ability to search sms, contacts, apps, emails, docs on the phone would be handy. Actually, is SMS searchable? Not that I would use it though.

Good point. Does the bing(search button) only search the web? Is there a way to search for files, emails, contacts, and music on the phone. Kinda like when you swipe left on an iPhone and can search for music and contacts and such?

Euan Mackinnon

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Hi, i am new around here. I have the HTC 8x, lovely phone, good camera and i like WP8 having had ios and android in the past. My one question is...can i download MP3's from internet links or can i stream MP3s directly from a website? when i try and do this it says 'this file cannot be played on this device'. By stream/download i do not mean from a client like deezer or spoitfy i mean a straight up link to a hosted file that has been posted online.

Many thanks

ps...HURRY UP WITH SPOTIFY, Microsoft...it is getting annoying now!

bouli#AC

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

no joke having used all platforms i can tell you microsoft has been doing voice for a long time. It's actually pretty good. All they need is a natural voice like google now, and hook it to bing.

I remember using voice on my htc vogue.

then what the ..... Are they waiting for !

Vic_Tye

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

To update my gripes so far as I have been "chatting" with @winphonesupport on Twitter regarding my music grouping issue (compilation albums not being together but listed as artists only) & have had the following response after I uploaded tracks to my SkyDrive and they had a look at them:
@Vic_Tye OK, we had some time to play around with this and we feel it should be something to be looked in. Don't believe it's with... ^EB
@Vic_Tye ...the sync app but with the way the phone looks at the files on the phone but we can't be sure. ^EB

So they are listening

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

So, essentially, no one involved with Windows Phone development has loaded a compilation album onto the phone.

-E

thyttel

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
RE: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

So, essentially, no one involved with Windows Phone development has loaded a compilation album onto the phone.

-E

And that surprise you? I mean they DID release the phone without apparently never taking a single photo to test release firmware camera? Seems testing is a term lightly used by them....
Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

What I don't like:
1. No notification center
2. No file management system
3. Separate volume control for music, ringtones etc
4. More info needed on lockscreen
5. To change basic settings one has to hunt down the settings options all the time...no easy way out even if u make a live tile..
6. Syncing with PC is through a awful software (what the heck MS...what were u guys thinking, Zune was better)
7. Closing apps is a pain in the **s
8. Lack of apps

Yet I am using my 920 because the OS has better feel than Android/ iOS and am keeping my fingers crossed that nxt update should fix most of these issues..if not than this is my last WP device..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234