(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Hasse

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I need to vent a little here about some of my ideas that could very realistically be integrated into the WP OS. I've only joined WP Central today, so I'm not really sure if Microsoft has ever listened to anything that was suggested here. I know it would be awfully nice if they did, because I'm fed up with the lack of innovative design in Windows Phone 8 so far, and am really starting to wish I had gone to another phone whose users are acknowledged (If that exists).

Why is there no notification center yet? I know there was one being developed, but if I understood the article I read, there was an update at the bottom that said the notification center as since been removed from the upcoming version of Windows Phone 8.x. I understand that it was just a snapshot, and that its a work in progress, but why would you ever limit your OS further than it already is by removing something many users find necessary who switch from other platforms. I wish that Windows would take what Android and iOS did with their notification centers and make it better than their ideas. For instance, both of their notification centers come from the top of the screen, and both are kind of clunky in my opinion, on top of that, there's also the issue of not being able to answer texts or messages from those notification center, except for a few exceptions. Why not take Windows Phone's notification center to the other side of things (literally in this case) and put the notification center at the bottom of the screen. My idea is to tap and drag from the windows button up onto the screen the notification center, and in the notification center would be active notifications such as Facebook comments or Twitter retweets, favorites, and comments, and also texts and missed calls, you know, the standard notifications. Also add the ability to reply to a message from this center, or change a song when a song is playing without leaving the app you're currently in. You could also set memos and calendar reminders straight from this menu, speeding up the process of getting things down quickly with your phone (Making it better for business). I feel this format of notification center would be better than swiping left from the home screen because it allows you to stay in the app you're currently in without having to go back to the start screen (I know it doesn't cause much lag to go back to the start screen, but it does make you exit your app, which makes it just like every other phone out there right now.), and give you almost full access to everything you tend to do on your phone.

Another improvement I could see to Windows Phone would be a multi-color LED underneath the start button (Yeah, this is physical, and there's nothing Microsoft could do to make this happen, unless they decided to make it a regulation for all makers of Windows Phones.) for notifications. I'm not the first to think of this, I saw it on the suggestion box on WP8, and decided to post it here when I tried to post an idea and it said, "You're idea could not be posted right now, but feel free to try again!" multiple times. Anyways, the multi-color LED could be used to display notifications, and could pulse, (kind of fade in and fade out) blue for text messages, red for missed calls, (or whatever color you want what to be would be cool) etc. It would be a nice touch, and since all phones don't have the notification LED like there is on the HTC 8x, it could be pretty easily universally integrated.

There's not much else I can think of otherwise right now other than an orientation lock, which still amazes me that Microsoft somehow forgot about. It's one of the most common features of a phone or tablet, and its amazing that it hasnt happened yet.

This started as me venting, then it came to me more wanting to share my ideas. Sorry if I didnt put this in the right thread. I was kind of mad at the beginning and just started typing this on the first thread I felt suitable for what I had to say. If theres any news on anything I just said it would be pretty awesome for someone to comment on it. Thanks a lot.

blacquay

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Mandatory requirements on WP8

Here's a list of what I'd like MSFT to implement in future updates:

-the menu/app list is disgraceful. The more apps I have the more I scroll. I won't mind a "grid of tiles" with ability to group or use folders.
-Ability to install to SD card like in android.
-Ability to add file/document attachment directly in email.
-Better interoperability of apps e.g why can't Facebook on the web take you straight to the app when you click the link, or why does YouTube app close via IE explorer in some cases, and if ruzzle asks to link my Facebook for instance it opens the browser instead of the app.
-I would like a Meego styled notification centre
-different sound profiles
-Ability to use pictures as background for tiles
-ability to skin the kids corner and access to some settings.
-buy once, run anywhere for apps common to win 8 and wP8
-universal search
-speed dialing (I mean)
-Auto-redial function
-ability to disconnect someone from my WiFi.
-the silly alarm can't wake the phone. Fix that.

The list is definitely longer......others can improve on this

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Mandatory requirements on WP8

-ability to disconnect someone from my WiFi.

That's a job for your router's configuration web page, not your Windows Phone specifically, you probably can do it from anything with a half-decent web browser. (check your documentation)

HerrKaputt

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Mandatory requirements on WP8

Here's my list of things I'd like (from most important to least important):

- Custom SMS tones! I know that I must pass as a shallow person if this is the most important feature. But on all my phones I like to have a personalized ringtone and SMS tone for every person I'm close to (i.e. immediate family, close friends, girlfriend, etc). I usually take some time to choose ringtones and SMS tones which say something about the person. This is the current deal-breaker for me, believe it or not...
- Notification center. Many posters before me have made excellent arguments so I won't elaborate.
- Proper usage of native apps. One of the major selling points of WP for me is the way I don't need a Facebook app. I'm not a power FB user, I mainly use it to see stuff in a private group with some specific people. I don't post status updates, upload photos, or "like" stuff. Even in my very limited use case, the native Facebook integration is not good enough. I can only imagine how limiting this must be for people with more powerful usage.

That's it. I'm not a very demanding person. I'm currently using a Lumia 710 with WP7 from my company; it's not mine and I can't personalize it like I want to, but it's free. Until some/all of these are addressed I won't fork 250€ for the Lumia 620.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
In this particular case, MS doesn't control the OEM's where as Apple makes both the hardware and software; i.e. total control. Google doesn't make a phone but does control the Nexus line.

When MS starts making the Surface phone, you will see more variety and control.
Then why don't they talk that through with nokia? they gave nokia millions of dollars and they cant even implement features like that?

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
As a wp8 user I am frustrated with the lag of notifications many times i have to open an app to receive rhe notification or rhe message that was meant to come ages ago it really sucks and MS need to get this crap fixed in wp8.1 or it'll be no need for me to use it

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
1. Adding a "recently updated" section to the store.
2. The music app needs some major improvements. I really don't have the patience to list everything wrong with it but I'll give some examples.. I'll never understand why they put the playback controls at the top of the screen instead of the bottom.

It almost feels like there's 2 apps in 1 ex: You'll play a song, then press the back button to go back to the music menu, instead of a pause button being at the bottom, there's another play button; if you press the play button, it will stop the song you're currently playing, and randomly play another song off of your library.

Another gripe is not being able to set an option for album art displaying on the lock screen vs a picture of the artist.

For some reason, songs will glitch and skip from time to time within the first 5 seconds after the song is selected. Edit: I noticed that it only does this when you have a song on repeat, which I use moderately.

There's also a problem with gray squares appearing for album art, even though there is artwork provided for that album or song.

ali saraf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
notification are really sucks specially social and messaging apps (not MS pre installed apps) in 90% push won't work on time this is my major problem with wp.

CheukMe2u

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Simply put, more recognized apps, especially games. Many of my friends have hesitated on using WP because of the lack of apps. I, personally find it quite alright since most of the apps I need are in the windows phone store but there are still a number of well-known apps that are yet to be seen. Official Instagram, YouTube, Google Maps and many games like NOVA, Subway Surfers etc.

Here's a list of what I hope to see in Windows Phone soon.
1) Some sort of notification hub
2) Ability to create folder in the Photos Hub
3) Gapless music playback
4) Ability to manually close running apps in the multitasking menu
4) Add burst and timer mode in the native camera app
5) 'Reader' mode in internet explorer
6) Remove the contents in the 'other storage' section in settings
7) Change the ugly grey bg in the Music+Videos Hub
8) Abilty to group apps into a folder on the Start Screen
9) Smart-dialing in the native call app
10) Screen rotation lock
11) Wider keyboard in landscape orientation (currently there's unused spaces on the sides)
12) Separate volume profiles for system sounds and music/app sounds.
13) Quick settings for switching on WiFi, Data and Bluetooth.

This guy about sums it up. Plus, it would be nice to close apps and delete photos by swiping up/down. Also, is anyone not bugged by how we can't toggle between "ring+vibrate" to "silent?" I shouldn't need to use the workaround.

I dearly hope this is read.

Honestly, WP just needs to KEEP UP with updates. I want major changes. It's done a good job at launching WP8, but it needs to maintain momentum. I've had my Windows Phone for almost a year now, but there are clearly features missing that makes me want to go back.

We want features, we want an effective notification center (not just a sad excuse for one with text), and most importantly, we want to be heard and not left in the gray. These need to happen. I saw a demo of iOS7 today and it has almost every feature that can benefit the user. You can toggle 10+ things on the lock screen. 10. I find myself toggling battery saver, wifi, and bluetooth many times throughout a day if I'm using my phone intensively. iOS7 is honestly really good, but it's pitiful where their ideas and looks come from. It looks a lot like WP, and many features come from jailbreaks. We shouldn't need to jailbreak our WPs if it comes down to it. Android listens and they soared through their development stages did they not? There is such a ridiculous amount of android versions, but it defines their success today.

Windows Phone, keep up. That's all I ask.

Does windows even have a panel asking what their customer's want?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What the previous poster said. Again: why are the most BASIC of features not in WP8? It beats me. I can not figure it out. Why do we not have a "silent" toggle, like any dumb phone has? Why is the dialer so dumb? I mean, these are basic things that should have been in WP7. Why are they still not here? WHY? It makes no sense.

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

So I have been lingering around WPCentral and the forums for a few months now, basically to learn about WP8 and decide if it was for me. I admit, even now I am extremely tempted, but I am now pretty sure I won't be going for this OS any time soon.

I'd like to share my thoughts (none of which will probably be too unique). But I do come from a very objective standpoint I think - I am currently rocking a Nokia 6820 (old school feature phone). However, over the last 3 years I have used: iPhone (3GS), Android (Nexus 4, Xperia Mini), and most recently Blackberry (Curve & Bold).

I *really* like the overall concept of WP - I see it as something that could be an "enabler" to my life, encouraging me to be social, taking the sting out of reading and research. And the curious/sensible me wants to at least give it a try before giving my two cents. However, I know what features I will need from a phone, and therefore must accept this is just not right for me in its current state.

So, in my eyes, what is essential:

1) Notification Center Bacchus1976 summarised my feelings exactly on this issue. Knowing that the Notification Center is coming however, is a positive.

2) Local storage and email attachments By this I mean, an ability to download any file type to the phone locally (from the web or my PC), and for these to be readily accessible (e.g. attaching to emails, uploading to websites etc). For me, this is quite fundamental, and is actually the only reason I cannot even give WP8 a try. I do not need nor expect a full-blown file management system. I would not even mind so much if MS does not even allow you to open 95% of these files on the phone itself. But limiting the OS to just storing and sharing MS Office, Photos/Videos, and (barely) PDF docs is a step too far. A simple local storage area, readily accessible by applications (i.e. via a "Browse..." button), and with ability to create folders is all that I would require.​

Other smaller issues:

- permenantly show connection type - 2G, 4G, HSPA etc.
- Blinking Notification LED for texts, calls, emails etc (these first 2 are actually my most frequently used features from all my past phones)
- Independent volume controls / user profiles
- Universal search
- Quick close of apps (e.g. in multitasking view, rather than slowly "backing" out of an app)
- Choice for the number of live-tile columns in your start screen
- Custom tones
- Custom dictionary (add and remove words)
- Mark all as read option (I understand this does not exist in email!) / multiple selections across the board
- Settings shortcuts (wifi etc)
- Week view in calendar
- Custom folder tiles (i.e. create a folder with your favourite games, pin this folder to start menu)
- Universal control for tile update frequency (i.e. all tiles update every 15mins, 30mins etc) and on per app basis.

In terms of helping WP to succeed - well I think I agree with almost every suggestion put forward here. From individual volume controls, through to quick settings, universal search, quick close of apps. Here are a few extra ideas that I think would offer some "quick" fixes to help WP to suceed, perhaps taking a more strategic perspective:

Custom Keyboards - I know many Android users who would never leave their OS purely due to loving Swype and Swiftkey so much. People are fickle - they will get bored easily, and grow curious to test new systems. WP could rob some serious market share if they can ever offer this feature before Apple (lucky, I think, that this did not come with iOS7). I really struggle to understand why Apple and MS cling so much on their own keyboard API - perhaps an unfair comparison, but they would never stop users from buying their own keyboards for a PC/Mac, and there is no obvious advantage gained to not allowing 3rd party keyboard apps. So, an easy way to get a few new users on-board with WP8.

Open communication - I would say MS are relatively open about enhancements, but are still similar to most other firms in their overall lack of openess and public response to highly requested features. There is a fear about revealing too much too soon, presumably so as not to make false-promises, reveal their ideas to the competition, or perhaps even to build up anticipation for "big news" in the future. But - taking the notification centre as an example - I would happily go for WP8, knowing that Joe Belfiore has least confirmed it will be coming in future updates. If the same could have been said about local storage, I would probably be trying WP8 now. I am *certain* many of the features requested in this thread are in development - if MS could be a little more open about it, they may see an increase in adoption of WP8, or at the very least see fewer consumers moving off the OS.

Aligning with business customers - Not just in MS's ballpark, but the manufacturers themselves. Interesting articles out there on the ability for WP to capture market share from BlackBerry if they released phones with physical keyboards. Given the success thus far of the Q10, it again would help cement WP particularly with the business market. I suppose two problems for this are that firstly, Windows is positioning itself as a "consumer" entertainment-type platform, and would not want to overly associate itself with business customers. However, even Apple has proved consumer devices (iPad, iPhone) sit nicely with business execs if positioned correctly. Secondly (and I do not know much about this point), although the ecosystem lends itself nicely to business, I imagine the OS itself is perhaps too "green" to fully support business needs right now (single email attachments only, VPN, reliance on the cloud, local storage, phone security vs BB etc). Both issues of course could be solved with time, ensuring only certain phones become associated with business and with natural development and optimisation of the OS to support business users.

Success with Windows 8 - Not in the hands of WP itself, but more success with W8 will inevitably help push WP8. Both products should also be more closely aligned than they currently are - this is something MS promote this themselves, but still have a long way to go. For example - gestures are not the same, search function operates differently (universal vs bing), W8.1 vs no WP8.1 announcement etc.

Reliability - Finally a slightly "fluffy" issue to end on. I have read many comments on issues of reliability of live tiles, problems with syncing music or photos etc. Overall, WP seems to be very intuitive, but in the long run, consumers will leave the OS if such experiences continue. Again, these could very well be organic problems i.e. issues that will get optimised through time. But it is essential such issues are addressed sooner rather than later - the easiest way to lose a loyal fanbase, is to create an impression the OS is unreliable.

Last edited:

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The most sensible thing I've read all day!! Hopefully peepz at MS will read all this (tho not likely). In my group of friends, I'm the only one techie and even tho my friends know that I know what I'm talking about they STILL won't give WP a go because of all those things you just mentioned and more!! I really hope they succeed but I'm seriously considering going somewhere else until they do:(

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
What the previous poster said. Again: why are the most BASIC of features not in WP8? It beats me. I can not figure it out. Why do we not have a "silent" toggle, like any dumb phone has? Why is the dialer so dumb? I mean, these are basic things that should have been in WP7. Why are they still not here? WHY? It makes no sense.

By silent toggle do you mean the button in the top right when you press the volume?

fbendotti

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok here's the situation. I go into a brand new Verizon store in wildwood NJ. Outside of the store there is a billboard with a Lumia 928. On the other side is an android HTC one with "Tile like" display. Almost makes the two hard to tell apart. Ok. I go into the store and I can't find a working demo. I ask a sales person and he says they do not have the phone on display. Then he has to go to the stock room to get one. Ridiculous. This is one of the main reasons WP will continue to struggle. WP owners need to call these people and voice there opinion. Without phones the app development will continue to struggle. I know the apps are coming, but not fast enough. My wife and I both have Lumia 920s. She loves the phone, but the biggest complaint is the lack of apps. Everywhere you go. You see ads for local apps for iPhone and android only, and we get stuck with the mobile website only. This is ok, but not good enough. Those ads for android and iPhone apps are helping to grow the other platforms and doing the opposite for WP.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but the store search sucks. I tried to find the new Redbox app and had to resort to Bing or Google to find the app. WTF?

Hagenlund

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Lots of great suggestions here, I'm quite confident that notification center and app closing is coming. But MS needs to update faster, it's a real shame the WP team has to wait for the Win8.1 kernel to finish before they can really start to implement and advertise. Big reorgs are fine, but MS needs keep changing their dev strategy to enable more concurrent development and faster iterations.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I think some people just don't understand a concept of Windows Phone. Has to be simply, fast, creative, fun and intuitive. Not be completed or a small PC like Android (with all the problems), for example.

The push notifications are my one real complain, but works fine when i have good 2G/3G signal. So, looks like a not WP fault.

WP doesnt have a dealbreaker for me. Have some stuffs to improve, like any OS, but nothing really relevant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos