(Official) What WP needs to succeed

pazces84

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

WP should have a way to customize SMS notifications.

Psaris

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

5. Just turn the ringer and vibrate off? (under settings/sounds) I do this every night while the phone is on the charger.. Alarm still sounds just fine in the morning.

Ok, fair enough I suppose. But an extra hassle. I'd probably still have to re-enable sound every morning too?

anilraj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

anilraj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Things I miss the most after upgrading from another OS, phone. Wishlist to Microsoft and Nokia?

6) I am able to edit the number. How are you using it? I picked a number from the internet. And it showed an editable phone number field.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Things I miss the most after upgrading from another OS, phone. Wishlist to Microsoft and Nokia?

1) There's an option to back up messages to SkyDrive. I haven't used it so I can't speak to how it works.

5) As far as I know, the alarm app works fine. I don't see how it would be possible for an app to actually turn on a phone if you've shut it off. If some other phone has this feature this is the first I'm hearing of it.

6) I'm not sure what your problem is. I can edit anything I want. In fact, I find the contacts list easier to work with than what I had in Android.

7) I've been finding battery life to be excellent. The only way I experience aggressive battery drain is if I'm playing a game, especially one of the more graphically intensive ones. But even then, I'm getting better battery life than my prior phone. However, this wasn't the case for the first several days.

I can't speak to some of the other issues as I don't have those problems myself. It seems like a lack of apps.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

"Do Not Disturb" from the iPhone .. I have a global role at work and get calls at all sorts of hours.. Having do not disturb except for people in a designated favourites list is pretty awesome..

This is such a highly desired feature it may prompt me to go back to an iPhone actually..

expectafight

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Things I'd like to be able to do with WP8 that I can't.

1. Customize SMS and Email alert notification sounds.
2. I would like to be able to edit emails before I forward them. Not all previous information in some email is pertinent to the people I forward to... ie. bad jokes, people's contact info.
3. Flash. I know, Flash is on it's way out, it's buggy, yada yada yada. I'm a huge motoGP race fan, and I cannot watch racing on motoGP.com from my phone. I could on my iPhone and Android phone.
4. And this is a big one. I want a Quit option in my apps. Using the back button does NOT exit all apps. I use Tunein radio every morning to get my BBC fix on my drive to work and despite "backing out of the app" it does not quit. Even though it does not show up when you hold the back button. This happens with metro radio too. If I get back in my truck, once bluetooth connects, those apps will start right up again.
5.I have not been able to see the mobile version of Craigslist. I'm a craigslist junkie, and haven't found a great app that compares to the mobile site. I know this is probably a craigslist thing... just something I'd like to see.

Aside from those things, I am very happy with my Lumia 920, and the WP8 experience as a whole.

Anything you'd like to see? Please chime in.

1. You can change the sounds for SMS in the ringtones+sounds settings menu
2. Cant help you there. You should suggest it to them.
3. So here's flash...
4. Music/radio apps close differently. Use this. everything else, keep using the back button.
5. Haven't really looked into this but I can. Give me a day.

I like these types of posts, let me know what else you got.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Ok, fair enough I suppose. But an extra hassle. I'd probably still have to re-enable sound every morning too?

Yeah, you'd have to turn the ringer and vibrate back on of course.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Internet Explorer is a pain to quit, having to repeatedly hit the back button. Also for some reason, if I just open Youtube, I can't close IE. I have to go to another page, and then hot the back button multiple times to close it.

The quickest way I've found to close IE is by opening the tabs window and closing all the tabs. After that only one back press is required.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Internet Explorer is a pain to quit, having to repeatedly hit the back button. Also for some reason, if I just open Youtube, I can't close IE. I have to go to another page, and then hot the back button multiple times to close it.

IE tip: hit the ... in the lower right corner, tap tabs. hit the X button on the tab or tabs. hit the back button 1 time. IE closed.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I notice this too with Youtube sometimes. I wonder if Google did this on purpose to screw up WP users lol. Like tebugg said, you can go to Tabs and close it.

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

+
10) Notification led.
It is very useful to check if we missed anything. When you are used to it you know what you miss..

Thanks all for your answers.
@Anilarj, I will have to check if I can do the same with my network here in the UK.

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

6) I am able to edit the number. How are you using it? I picked a number from the internet. And it showed an editable phone number field.

I meant something like the RapDialer app. Some of its features are basic and should be implemented in a phone like this.

expectafight

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Also, I tend to use UC Browser more these days. No matter.

I guess the only question is why do you care if the browser is open. It's frozen state, doesn't really have an impact on the battery or other app performance.

PhotoAnt

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

Didn't have time to go thru the previous 10 pages, so excuse me if I am repeating them. This should be features available which I find very convenient and useful on other platforms and Symbian:

1. Select multiple recipients directly from address book/contact list for SMS;
2. Search SMS history (available on iOS);
3. Attach document files directly from email application;
4. Select the account you wish to reply/forward from, a received email;
5. Proper month view for calender + weekly view;
6. Similar MS basic features for all users (currently users in different regions, get different features - eg. choice of sizes for photos to be uploaded to SkyDrive);

In general, adoption of WP8 was pretty easy, but after using it for a month, I find that there are some features that are better than the other 2 main OSs - but overall it is still lagging behind. In areas where it is supposed to be MS's strength, some of the features (eg. calender features, email document attachment, etc) are not there - hence disappointing!

Hope these will be addressed...

PhotoAnt

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah, one more:

7. When you're on the ear piece in a conversation, after the time-out period the screen blacks out. If you need to re-activate the screen to say key in a phone number or check an email for reference in the conversation, the phone doesn't react when you press the power button!

C'mon, this is a PHONE - call features should be exceptional :)

Excuse the fruit - I feel it was a toy with phone features added, but this is NOKIA!!!

Last edited:

Psaris

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

1) Syncing SMSs with the laptop.
That's not only for back up reason. I mean, with my "old" N8 I was able to send SMSs from my laptop via Nokia Suite. Now that's not possible (possibly thanks to Microsoft?). That's really missed when I need to write a long SMS or not to use my mobile phone when my manager is around..

Anyone who has found any alternatives for point number one?

You can have your sms and texts backed up to Hotmail, which I believe is enabled by default. Similarily, if you use a 3rd party IM app like IM+, you can manually choose to send specific conversations to Hotmail.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo