(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see some controller peripherals come out for WP, if I had the ability to add some buttons I would actually consider a smartphone a gaming device. I don't understand why there isn't a Bluetooth standard for gaming controllers. I don't want to carry around a ds or a vita, but I'm also not gonna try to play a real game with touch controls, they just don't work that well. I would love to have a little controller to just use with my smartphone, then you would start to see big game devs look at bringing big games to smartphones.
Sorry for the thread jack, just wanted to say that.

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

Rather than starting a new thread I'll add my complaints here. Don't worry none of these will cause me to leave WP8. I'm dedicated and loyal to the OS now.
  • Music: BUG: Loses place in song list after leaving the screen
  • Music: Feature Request: Time elapsed and album art in music player dropdown
  • Music: Feature Request: Album art in lock screen when music playing if no artist image or option to use album art instead of artist image
  • Music: Feature Request: Usable scrubbing bar in music player
  • Music: Feature Request: Highlight currently playing track in songs list
  • Music: Feature Request: Now playing shortcut from songs list
  • Music: Feature Request: Ability to edit playlists
  • Music: BUG?: Playlist becomes unpinned after overwriting with same name (adding playlist editing would take care of this)
  • Status Bar: Feature Request: WiFi status bar symbol needs signal strength
  • Sound: BUG: Screenshot sound effect fires even when volume is 0 and with camera shutter sound disabled
  • Sound: BUG: Sound effects interrupt music playback
  • Sound: Feature Request: Silent/mute option
  • Games: Feature Request: Identify trial vs. full versions
  • Notifications:Feature Request: Optional email toast notifications
  • Video:Feature Request: YouTube/Video player scrubbing bar
  • General: Feature Request: Optional Battery percentage in status bar + graphing like battery level + battery usage on per app basis
  • General: Feature Request: List of what apps recently accessed location
  • General: Feature Request: Add Undo & Select All capability
  • General: BUG: Fix the OTHER storage hogging up all our space and not making room for new stuff or allow us to empty the temp files
  • Calendar: Feature Request: Ability for past appointments to go back further than 3 months
  • Calendar: Feature Request: Weekly calendar view
  • Calendar: Feature Request: Appointments readable/colored in monthly view
  • Phone: Feature Request: Call duration in history
  • Store: Feature Request: My apps page or check for updates page
  • APP: BUG: Bing Translator word of the day live tile doesn't update automatically
  • APP: BUG: Windows Phone Insider live tile doesn't update automatically
  • IE: Feature Request: Favorites should be sortable/ability to create folders
  • IE: Feature Request: Soft back/forward button option
  • IE: Feature Request: Status bar always shown option
  • IE: Feature Request: Open new tab in background option
  • IE: Feature Request: Private browsing option
  • IE: Feature Request: Pin page to start screen using favicon for site
  • IE: Feature Request: Allow deletion of temp files but keep saved passwords & cookies

muzza59

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any confirmation on Gapless music playback and inline controls

Folks,

Gapless music playback with inline controls support is provided by the app 'Subsonic Music Streamer':

Subsonic music streamer | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (Australia)

You need the paid version to establish your own local streaming server and use it to download albums that require gapless playback (most don't).

Once streamed (downloaded) to your phone they then play off-line from the server.

The player is fully integrated with the standard music player and, when using the headset provided by Nokia with my 820, the inline controls worked fine.

Have a look at Subsonic ? Free Music Streamer for more information on the full subsonic facility - I also got the web based client working on my son's Surface (required a hack to the allowed flash site list ...).

Cheers, Muzza.

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

@SaucePolicy •Sound: Feature Request: Silent/mute option = WP8 already has that.
Some of the bugs or more like requests are just so and so, but they can be do-able in short time.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: MS is killing my faith in WP.

Jump higher then 47" when you upgrade... That's what I'm currently on and I think that's starting to get small myself.... NEED MOAR SCREEN!

No matter what size screen you have, you want bigger. I have a 65" plasma and want bigger. When im able to buy a new house im doing at least a 100" screen and projector.

Shawn

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

(What WP needs to succeed)

On this part ^

Microsoft needs to do a better job developing/supporting/marketing the platform. WP continues to face an uphill battle, not only because it's new, but also because the collective mindset of the smartphone public don't like WP. ****, I had to order mine over the phone with Verizon because the store I went to didn't have any, nor did the salesman seem to give a crap about WP. I called my local BJ's and the guy said they didn't have any and didn't have one on display. I happen to go there the very next day and not only did they have them but they had a red 8x on display. In my experience, sales folks just don't care about anything that isn't Android or iCrap. I've heard similar stories from others. It’s a huge battle to gain market share when the very folks who are supposed to be selling these things are biased against them.

The same sentiment can be seen on countless reviews, blogs, and articles. Yet when you look at user reviews and scores, WP has some of the highest marks of all platforms. In fact, the HTC Trophy, a dinosaur now, consistently stayed as one of the top user- rated phones for VZ for well over a year. It's still in the top 10 (rated) of the 36 smartphones offered by Verizon. The other two WP's offered are rated 4th and 7th. Pretty damn good. So the end users get it. But the real convincing comes from the aforementioned sales folks, tech sites, and iSheep. How does Microsoft do this?
  • They need to stomp out the bugs/errors/hindrances that turn people off to WP.
  • They need to keep touting the benefits and features.
  • They need to advertise smarter.
  • They need to take greater advantage of their strengths.

Another uphill climb for WP: Windows 8. It needs tweaks and sales are poor. IMO, Microsoft is spending attention on W8 that it should be spending on WP.

In the whole scope of things, we WP users are really just early adopters. We are finding bugs that weren't caught in alpha or beta testing and it should be communicated to Microsoft. If you feel some additions should be made, make them with Microsoft. If you have suggestions, make them with Microsoft. I would not hold my breath that Microsoft is going to peruse WPCentral and look for user feedback. With that said, they need to LISTEN to WP user requests. I’ve read replies here such as “well, go back to [android/iOS]” or “This isn’t [android/iOS/blackberry] so oh well” when a user complains about a feature or function that their old phone had that WP doesn’t. I pray that Microsoft management doesn’t share that same attitude! If there’s a small feature or tweak that seen by a majority of iOS/BB/Android users as being beneficial, Microsoft should listen and look into filling that void within WP. If WP is going to grow it needs to do what other phones do and then some.

WP now has five percent market share and while this is good it still falls short of WP (windows mobile also) overall high. RIM still owns double the market share and is about to release the BB10. This will hinder the growth of WP. RIM has loyalty on its side. Microsoft needs to continue their aggressive campaign to grow. With growth come apps. Many developers aren’t going to bat an eye at WP until market share gets up around ten percent AND shows continued growth.

And speaking of apps, the weakness isn’t the lack of apps, it’s the quality of apps. Even many of the good apps are buggy or missing features. It’s evident that Microsoft threw developers an inventive for developing and app for WP, and then throwing something together that’s half-ass just to collect their reward. Let’s hope this is being addressed also.

I’m not a fan boy of Microsoft, but I do want WP to be successful. I’m happy to show my family and friends my 8x. I encourage them to try it out, because up until me, they’ve had zero exposure to it, and they are impressed. I hope the same goes for the general public. Competition is a benefit to the consumer.

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I only have vibrate or ring + vibrate on my 8X. There are some sounds that ignore the vibrate setting. Missed call notification and screenshot sound effect are two I can think of. This may be a device problem though. Also some people would like a true silent option that disables the vibrator. Sure they could go in settings and manually disable each sound one by one but that's not very convenient.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
IE needs drastic improvements

IE's basicness can get a bit annoying. In 2 plus years since WP first launched, we still can't save logins and passwords, have even basic buttons, or nice intuitive interface.

And if a site saves the password for you, don't delete your history because it deletes everything. No other options.

Does MS even bother looking at 3rd party stuff on other phones? If they refuse to let 3rd party devs give us a truly new browser then for petes sake give us a browser to be proud of, with nice features or ****, even some basic features. Word wrap would be nice as well.

IE is lame. While it can serve as a very bare bones, basic browser, why shouldn't we expect better? And if you refuse to do it, let someone else then.

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

@SaucePolicy Go to Settings ->Sounds -> Disable Ring & Disable Vibrate , it should be true silent.

PhotoAnt

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

I'll assume you're using a Lumia 920, so I'm not sure about that handset, but my HTC 8X has a sensor that re-enebles the screen when you pull the phone away from your face...

That's right, it's a L920. Another recent discovery, when you plug in the earpiece, sometimes it doesn't activate and you can't hear or talk thru it. Even if you pull out and push in again, it might not work. So, you need to pull it out completely and make your call, hang up and reinsert the jack. Then it works again.

It's these little inconsistencies that puts you off - such issues should not happen!

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Repeat Alerts / Reminders for Missed SMS, Voicemail, Calls

If/When this type of feature is made available, I hope it isn't an all-or-nothing scenario (which seems to be the way Windows Phone 8 is working).
I don't want AlphaJax to wake me up every 10 minutes, at 3AM, because some dude in Pakistan played his turn.
I, already, have to put my phone on silent, because my wife doesn't like Wheel Of Wealth waking her up.
Of course, now I miss any text/call/alarm during those times.
JJ

Matta_Z

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

The biggest thing bothering me right now (besides lack of some crucial apps) is the fact that I can't have multiple mobile numbers in one contact. I can't believe MS omited such thing in modern OS.
Im also bothered by some other things too but still need to make a list before posting cause I'm fresh to WP. :)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing bothering me right now (besides lack of some crucial apps) is the fact that I can't have multiple mobile numbers in one contact. I can't believe MS omited such thing in modern OS.
Im also bothered by some other things too but still need to make a list before posting cause I'm fresh to WP. :)

You can have multiple mobile numbers. I have 4 numbers for my gf, two of which are mobile.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

• a "car mode" where everything goes landscape to include the home screen.
  • a way to check messages without from within an app (notification center) similar to the drop down in Android or what seems to be coming in BB10 in the form of the Blackberry Hub
  • pull down to music player while the navigation app is running to make it easy to switch songs while in the car
  • More high quality apps
  • File manager
  • download and save from e-mail
  • Windows Phone Desktop sync (not really WP8 I suppose, but that thing is terrible and completely unreliable and does affect the WP8 experience).

Those are the biggies for me off the top of my head.

Matta_Z

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

You can have multiple mobile numbers. I have 4 numbers for my gf, two of which are mobile.

Let me rephrase:
I sync contacts from my google account. Some contacts have more than one number that is tagged as "mobile number". My HTC 8S will just show first number that carries the tag of "mobile number".
Also, if I manually edit contact on 8S and try to add more numbers that will be under "mobile number" category - I can't.
I can add one more number that can be tagged as "mobile number 2" (not "mobile number"!). If I try to add more numbers I can't tag them as "mobile number" (and "mobile number 2"), I would have to tag them as "home number" or "work number" etc.

How did you managed to have 4 numbers tagged as "mobile number" ?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh, I see.

I have two mobile numbers and then multiple others for her. Mobile 1 and mobile 2 plus work 1 & 2. If you can label them as mobile 1 & mobile 2 is that not ok?

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Let me rephrase:
I sync contacts from my google account. Some contacts have more than one number that is tagged as "mobile number". My HTC 8S will just show first number that carries the tag of "mobile number".
Also, if I manually edit contact on 8S and try to add more numbers that will be under "mobile number" category - I can't.
I can add one more number that can be tagged as "mobile number 2" (not "mobile number"!). If I try to add more numbers I can't tag them as "mobile number" (and "mobile number 2"), I would have to tag them as "home number" or "work number" etc.

How did you managed to have 4 numbers tagged as "mobile number" ?

Just chiming in to help here. You create a duplicate contact, and then link them together. So say you had Bob Smith who had 2 mobile numbers, you create a contact for each one, then link them, and it will show up as one contact with multiple numbers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs