(Official) What WP needs to succeed

theroo2001

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

i find it really funny how this thread grows and grows while the other thread for "the good things about WP8" hasn't been updated in 11 days.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
i find it really funny how this thread grows and grows while the other thread for "the good things about WP8" hasn't been updated in 11 days.

People would rather complain than praise. Everyone will put out effort to make a letter of complaint when they're pissed, but will do nothing if they're pleased.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to Address the Notification Center, on Windows Phone, Debate! A MUST READ!

The smartest thing Microsoft can do is make it available as an option. WP users who then want a notification center can use it. Those who don't, don't.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread that provokes discussion where as things posted in the other thread can not be disputed.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to Address the Notification Center, on Windows Phone, Debate! A MUST READ!

I disagree. The notification center should be a list of all "missed" toasts. Live tiles can show things other than just notifications, for example a stock tracker might show a list of stocks, and the People and Photos tiles show pictures. This information isn't devalued by an interface that allows me to see the contents of the toast that I just missed.

What you just described is widgets in Android. Which is fine, widgets in Android are awesome.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I do have it pinned, that's not the point. What's it gonna show, a number tick? Why should I have to constantly launch an app, wait for it to connect and update when I just want to 'glance and go.' It turns it into iOS when you have to go in and out of apps to get your information. No thanks.

Aren't you still glancing and going even if it's a number tick? Yeah I get there's a lack of detail, but maybe the developer should make it so the live tile shows the most recent update info. I always understood the current implementation to make sense generally because as it stands if a user were to act upon the notification they most likely are going to launch the app anyway to do so.

But I still can see your perspective.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I honestly don't have a problem at all with my HTC 8X, I do not miss any app and it's been smooth sailing!

nazeerabid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Don't know if this has been suggested before or not, but I think the following could be a good idea;

The way we swipe right to left to access our list of apps, so if we could have an option to swipe left to right which would bring up a notification center screen which would then obviously display notifications chosen by the user.

Let me know what you guys think!

Mad MilkMan

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I disagree. The notification center should be a list of all "missed" toasts. Live tiles can show things other than just notifications, for example a stock tracker might show a list of stocks, and the People and Photos tiles show pictures. This information isn't devalued by an interface that allows me to see the contents of the toast that I just missed.

I agree that is all I want, a list of missed toast notifications. No devaluation in the live tiles. Live tiles are amazing and awesome, but as an example, the messages tile only shows the last message in detail and then a counter even as a full size tile, that's all good and all but its not very helpful other than showing me the count. I really think that we need to be patient, Microsoft has a lot going on, and they know WP8 is there baby, give this freshly released OS some time to mature, or consider your other options.

JosephHaubrich93

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I would just to let everyone know that is commenting on my thread to continue to do so and I encourage both positive and negative comments. But I wanted to make it clear that I have had WP since its beginning when I got a first generation Samsung Focus and I just recently bought a Lumia 920 on the first preorder day. I LOVE WINDOWS PHONE! And I would never ever switch cuz it is the greatest OS ever! Just throwing in some ideas to improve on some aspects for others...

wp_cb

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I fully support a notification centre. I think it is important to be able to aggregate all missed notifications in one area. Furthermore my home screen has some tiles that are not live but that I use often (wifi / data toggle), as well as tiles that are live but I would not need in my notification area (news and weather). I do not want to have to group all of my messaging live tiles in one place to get notifications to be able to " glance and go". A notification centre does not in any way take away from live tiles and I think they will continue to evolve and only get better. There seems to be so much emphasis on wp being different instead on wp being better.

I worry about a notification centre to the left of the home screen being limited. For one it does not allow multiple home screens should Microsoft choose that route down the road. A left swipe is also only accessible from the home screen. More importantly it eliminates the ability to use the modern ui to the full extent by limiting the notification area to a single pane. I think the notification centre should be accessed by a swipe down. Instead of dragging the notifications down though, the gesture would pull the screen down to reveal the notification area (in a similar animation the the home screen swipe). This could then allow for a panorama layout notification area accessible from everywhere in the operating system.

tonyluo2001

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

After a month of use, I think the notification center is not a must. The current float of information on Live Tiles is good enough for me. Not to mention such method is so stylish and dynamic. If there are more apps improvements on the Live Tiles, it will be even better. People who yield about notification center can actually put all the live tiles they care about on the top for a quick check.

pengfoong

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I have had many times in the last week where Text would not send or receive. I found out that it was cuse my Microsoft account was "Syncing" all the time and Only way to fix was to shut off the phone and leave it off for 30 minutes or more. This is a deal breaker for me. When I need to send a text I need it to go right then. Not in 30+ minutes, So I am going to the Note 2

Do you have the Skype and have not updated it? Skype causes syncing problems

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
(Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

Not sure what you're talking about? I have 6 account's syncing together with NO problems having delayed text's on my ATIV S WP8! That's just weird 😖

My brother has the Note2.. that phone is huge, heavy and power eating beast! He has to reset that phone all the time why? Android 4.1.2 unstable? Not saying buttery smooth WP8 is perfect...just saying do your research before you buy!
WP8 "Portico" is not = to Android 4.2.2 "Jelly Bean v2" by no means!! Also with features lacking from WP8.

By April it's a new story with WP8.1 vs iOS6.1 vs BB10 vs Android 5.0 "Key Lime Pie" 😎

Your brother must have a defective Note 2.

I'm guessing English isn't your native tongue.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Your brother must have a defective Note 2.

I'm guessing English isn't your native tongue.

We don't do that here take your insults and go or if you can stay and post in a civil manner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss