(Official) What WP needs to succeed

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I have a love-hate relation with my phone due to WP8.
Things I miss and want RIGHT now!

- Be less like North Korea and give me some freedom. Damn! this phone is more locked then iOS. Where is my bittorent client, separate video/music player, file task manager and so on in appstore?
- Separate volume for ringtune/sms/mail/alarm
- Can?t watch internet tv, no apps or tru internet... Every smartphone on the market can handle this, why not WP8?
- Dropmenu with fast settings for internet/flight mode and so on..
- Internet Explorer, well this sucks! give me some other browser please!
- Bad Youtube support
- Why can?t I change colour on the stock apps?
- Vibrating buttons, no thanks this is not a dildo :(
- When I watch a movie tru Netflix the three buttons are lighted... This should bee possible to turn off.
- When I press a number in the phone book the name should come up.
- Built in BING search function sucks.

Quit whining like a child. If you don't like it, get something else.

Mathew de Detrich

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

- Gapless playback
- Facebook Toast notifications working out of the box (even with tinkering, I still havn't been able to get my notifications to work)
- Notifications in general aren't designed nicely. There needs to be some area (like on iOS/Android) where it lists all your unread notifications along with a very short detail (i.e. blurb) about the notification. If its an email, then like the first sentence of the email. If its a facebook notification, then first sentence of that etc etc
- Easily close applications when you hold the "left" key (this is the key on my phone which shows all running applications, there needs to be some gesture or X button that lets you easily close apps)
- Allow fullscreen apps to either ignore toast notifications or prevent user from interacting with them. When I play some fullscreen games, I am sometimes unable to play the game properly when a toast notification (such as a WIFI network appearing) which creates an area on the screen that I cant click

infenit101

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Here is a novel idea. Some people want a notification center, some do not thus in order to appease both sides have the option of a center and an option to disable it. Problem solved. Also what WP needs to survive is plainly obvious, it needs apps, tons of apps, exclusive apps. When a new app comes out the first device it should be on is WP. Microsoft needs to open up the check book and start taking some losses. We all know WP won't be taking any marketshare in 2013 or 2014. But in 2015 and beyond they might have a chance. Also Xbox is clearly Microsoft's most popular brand. Where are the Xbox games and where the **** is the Xbox Phone?

D

Deleted member 199301

It's all about applications now. Hardware is up to snuff. Now it's just about filling the Store.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I have a love-hate relation with my phone due to WP8.
Things I miss and want RIGHT now!

- Be less like North Korea and give me some freedom. Damn! this phone is more locked then iOS. Where is my bittorent client, separate video/music player, file task manager and so on in appstore?
- Separate volume for ringtune/sms/mail/alarm
- Can?t watch internet tv, no apps or tru internet... Every smartphone on the market can handle this, why not WP8?
- Dropmenu with fast settings for internet/flight mode and so on..
- Internet Explorer, well this sucks! give me some other browser please!
- Bad Youtube support
- Why can?t I change colour on the stock apps?
- Vibrating buttons, no thanks this is not a dildo :(
- When I watch a movie tru Netflix the three buttons are lighted... This should bee possible to turn off.
- When I press a number in the phone book the name should come up.
- Built in BING search function sucks.

Shamefully, a mod went blahblah over a gif. So I will have to attempt again. Here it goes..

tumblr_ly18y8DeAa1r9kp3yo1_250.gif

ian addinsell

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Gripes as an ex iPhone 4 user - come on MS

iPhone feature I miss
1) individual contact text tones
2) individual contact ring + vibrate or not
3) Repeating text alerts
4) vibrate with ring, not vibrate once and then ring
5) custom phone number labels in contact details, not just unhelpful 'work' and 'work 2'

6) folders to group related apps
7) time based sound/action control, eg don't push emails (and wake me up) at night, silence calls from strangers at night
8) 2nd alert in calendar events, eg remind me i have a meeting tomorrow and remind me the meeting is in 10 mins

Anyone else agree, or am I just a grumpy old bloke?:cry:
Ian

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
RE: Gripes as an ex iPhone 4 user - come on MS

I don't think folders could really work in WP. Also, I think if MSFT will utilize hubs effectively enough to get rid of folders.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Gripes as an ex iPhone 4 user - come on MS

iPhone feature I miss
1) individual contact text tones
2) individual contact ring + vibrate or not
3) Repeating text alerts
4) vibrate with ring, not vibrate once and then ring
5) custom phone number labels in contact details, not just unhelpful 'work' and 'work 2'

6) folders to group related apps
7) time based sound/action control, eg don't push emails (and wake me up) at night, silence calls from strangers at night
8) 2nd alert in calendar events, eg remind me i have a meeting tomorrow and remind me the meeting is in 10 mins

Anyone else agree, or am I just a grumpy old bloke?:cry:
Ian

Some of those features are pretty nice...sometimes I wonder why I am stubbornly committed to the MS ecosystem. Lately I despise Google, but who knows, I still have respect for Apple.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

Some of those features are pretty nice...sometimes I wonder why I am stubbornly committed to the MS ecosystem. Lately I despise Google, but who knows, I still have respect for Apple.

I was stubbornly committed to the Apple ecosystem but finally branched out with the WP and Nokia 920 and couldn't be happier. But I am not planning on giving up my Macs at home anytime soon :)

That said, the OP is correct - although if you don't use those features it may seem picky, but if you do, you notice it right away. The only thing I will say is that iOS didn't have those features in it's first couple of versions either. If you are going to use WP you are going to have to accept that it is still not as mature as iOS (nor as fragmented as Android.)

I wish that there was something like Facetime and that it could be used cross platform. I also would love to see

1. the lock screen come on when a notification comes through so I can see what the notification is without having to activate the screen,
2. the ability to pin just a phone number to the start screen so I could simply call my wife without having to open the contact and select the telephone link,
3. the ability to turn all the sound off with a simple flick of a switch (not software but still)

For starters... ;-)

Last edited:

ian addinsell

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps I should say why I got my Lumia 920:
1) Apple Maps fiasco
2) Nokia Maps/Navigation etc
3) Bigger screen for old eyes
4) NFC payments ... still waiting
5) Great camera
6) Great style

Having got here, I add to that:
1) Live Tiles
2) Really great MyStocks App which links via SkyDrive with my PC using csv format
3) Great weather app 'Weather & Surf Australia'
and plenty more

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

I wish it had all of those. Folders is the least important out of those for me, but I'd be very happy to see MS implement all of those features. It shouldn't be that hard.

I wish that there was something like Facetime and that it could be used cross platform. I also would love to see (not all from the iPhone)

1. the lock screen come on when a notification comes through so I can see what the notification is without having to activate the screen,
2. the ability to pin just a phone number to the start screen so I could simply call my wife without having to open the contact and select the telephone link,
3. the ability to turn all the sounce off with a simple flick of a switch (not software but still)

For starters... ;-)

Isn't Skype on all platforms?

And #1 is a feature of WP, unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps I should say why I got my Lumia 920:
1) Apple Maps fiasco
2) Nokia Maps/Navigation etc
3) Bigger screen for old eyes
4) NFC payments ... still waiting
5) Great camera
6) Great style

Having got here, I add to that:
1) Live Tiles
2) Really great MyStocks App which links via SkyDrive with my PC using csv format
3) Great weather app 'Weather & Surf Australia'
and plenty more

I forgive the Apple Maps fiasco since they apologized and Apple will correct the issue in short order. The whole maps thing was a response to demands Google was making of Apple. That said, Nokia Drive, even in Beta, is a far better driving application.

I agree on the screen size. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought that half an inch would make that much difference, but I exchanged the Nokia for the iPhone 5 due to the amount of Macs I use at home, pictures, iTunes etc. and a day later exchanged it a again for the Nokia, and the readability for my old eyes (and my near vision is only 20/30 so not that poor) was one major reason.

I also find the Live Tiles to be a refreshing way to organize your personal apps - much different than rows and rows of app. Better? I don't know for sure but certainly more entertaining and different.

I have a larger thread from a switcher around here someplace for anyone considering the move from iOS to WP.

Pas

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

to the OP, i agree with all of your suggestions. i used an iphone 3s, 4, and 4s. there are some features of ios that i miss now that i'm using wp8 but i'm hopeful they will be implemented into wp8 sooner rather than later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786