(Official) What WP needs to succeed

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: (Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

I like WP8 but i dislike some of it features like facebook app, it's completly broken and just a rubbish app, integrated "social" app like me and people works well but it shows that im logged on pc instead of phone...

videoBliss

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
RE: Windows 8 Calendar is really very bad

I've found that every birthday I entered into my calendar somehow got shifted by a day.
Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 8 Calendar is really very bad

Yep, it's totally crap. Whoever worked on this at Microsoft should be sacked for their stupid design. The text on the month view is so small I have to look really carefully to see if anything is there. What were they thinking.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows 8 Calendar is really very bad

I actually like the daily view in the calendar. I agree the month view sucks and the agenda view isn't very good either. The ToDo list almost useless. And definitely, there should be a search function; although there is an app that you can use to search your calendar.

I highly recommend Appointiles. I pinn that to my start screen since it shows me my next 3/4 appointments and I also set it to dark background for the tile which makes it look awesomely cool if your phone background is black. Furthermore, you can also pin a secondary tile to display the month view in a medium size tile which is very handy. I still have the default calendar pinned but have it set in the smallest tile size. I need to access it to add appointments or view the daily schedule view.

For ToDo, I highly suggest "ToDo Free". It's amazingly simple and includes all the functionality you really need. No ads too even though it's free.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yep, it's totally crap. Whoever worked on this at Microsoft should be sacked for their stupid design. The text on the month view is so small I have to look really carefully to see if anything is there. What were they thinking.
Agree, at the very least one should be able to zoom in and out. Btw, will my calendar sync with the one on my Windows 8 PC? Is there a way to get them to?

namurell

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

WP8 is an amazing take on what a mobile OS should be. That said there are basic functionalities that are glaringly absent.

- My number one complaint is the lack of separate volume controls. Is there an issue with getting a license with patents for this? MS pay up, this is a MUST have!
- Need an actual back button in internet explorer. this could be a displayed button on the screen, the back button on the phone does not function properly as a browsing back button.
- Battery percentage readout (minor complaint but again a very simple thing that should be included in any modern OS)
- Desktop syncing software is the worst piece of software Ive seen since Windows ME, it is unusable.
- Closing apps is not intuitive and clumsy, you should be able to select which apps to leave open and close, not just close in the order that you last opened. (you can work around this by bring up the app that you want to close then hitting back. but to leave open the last app you opened, this is a giant pain...)
- Better options for contact management. I like using facebook, but absolutely do NOT want every facebook contact in my address book. Also if you could sort the contacts into groups (ie, work vs personal) that would be very helpful.

I actually have little to no complaints about the notifications, works fine for me. And the lack of apps is a problem yes, but will improve with time, and this cannot really be blamed on MS. You want more apps? Developers want more people in the OS for it to be worth their time to create quality apps that they can make a profit off of. So if you want more apps, talk up your new phone to your friends and get everyone you know to buy windows. This will only improve as the windows market share improves.

roaspiras

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Let me add to this. WP8 is a great platform, its young and its going to be awesome as it gets mature. What I don't get is why Microsoft did not do their homework? Are they using this phone? I mean let me start with this:

1. Backing up and synching is so tough Why? Android and Apple has very good implementations
2. Notification. I think they can do this via Me tile, all notifications are already there its just a matter of developers taking advantage of this
3. Search. I should be able to search even SMS because sometimes you need it and be able to delete a particular thread in SMS
4. Dual live tiles. Okay some people may have to create a lot of tiles. It would be good to have this feature. hit the tile and it will pop-up two icons for apps.. just thinking
5. Multi-tasking should be improved

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

To me, Windows Phone is great but seriously, there's nothing in this world that's perfect and Windows Phone 8 didn't get away with it.

1. The real long list of the applications menu when swiping the screen to the left made it difficult to look for apps and they seem cluttered.
  2. The lack of 'Search' feature in the phone is a major loss. I mean, sometimes we need to search for messages, calendar events, contacts or anything quickly and Windows Phone 8 doesn't have this. It has the Bing search instead which is all useful for web but not to search things in the phone.
  3. Inability to close down apps directly from the multitasking screen so I don't have to go back, and back and back all over again to get out of applications.
  4. The contacts management should be much more organised. I mean, they're all mixed up. Hotmail, Gmail, phone contacts they're all mixed up into one place called 'People' and somehow if I filter the contacts to just only phone contacts, all seem to gone nowhere and I'm left with zero contacts. Microsoft needs to look into that.
  5. The apps like Facebook, Twitter and Skype should be more stable. I do sometimes experience problems with these apps and sometimes, they kind of stopped responding and completely quit the app. Strange...
  6. I also favor a separate volume control. Currently, music and ringing volumes are combined as a single volume and whenever I listen to music and done with it, I have to raise the volume back otherwise I wouldn't hear the ringing volume. This needs to have a look into and I always wonder why they done this?
  7. Finally, a quick access to completely silent the phone. Currently, we have to go to settings and switch of the Ringer and Vibration in order to achieve a complete silent profile. That's a lot of work comparing to just press the volume button, touch the top right of the screen to change from Ring + Vibrate, Vibrate and Silent.

That's all that I can remember after 2 weeks of using my Nokia Lumia 620 running on Windows Phone 8. I'll let you guys know more once I explore to the depths of this OS.

nander

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

There's no way to scroll to the top of a page quickly like on iOS where you can tap the status bar and be brought to the top, it's especially annoying on web Facebook for example if you scroll down the feed and try to have a conversation at the same time, having to scroll up so much or even just refresh the page. Hope Microsoft does something about this soon

danclyons

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I may be the only one who thinks this but I really want the OS to be similar to what Windows 8 and the new Xbox dashboard is like. While I love my WP, I do think there is potential to sell even more, if they allow you to swipe left and right. For a lot of users, it feels like you're stuck only scrolling down and down, which is sometimes frustrating if you have a lot of apps.
Perhaps even make a "hub" similar to what you have on the Xbox - you press the logo button on the controller and you are able to see important notifications, quickly getting to settings, etc etc. Not sure how they could do that but I think it's possible. There's a ton of potential for WP that's already present in Windows 8 and the Xbox, and it only makes sense for Microsoft to have something similar on their smartphone, truly making it feel like a linked ecosystem.

And please fix Xbox Music, I hate that I still have to use my first generation ipod touch.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
(Official) Why I don't like WP8 Part 2 (What WP needs to succeed)

FYI our phones don't multitask. All of those apps in the multitask window are actually already closed. Fast resuming is completely different from multitasking.

Music and navigation is all the multitasking we have.

Would be nice if they changed this.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
FYI our phones don't multitask. All of those apps in the multitask window are actually already closed. Fast resuming is completely different from multitasking.

Music and navigation is all the multitasking we have.

Would be nice if they changed this.

I'll take "not quite multitasking of wp8" over "suck every last byte of ram you have to run processes and apps in background that you don't even use so it will lag Android" any day. My Android has more ram than my WP8 and it uses every byte of it on processes and apps I can't completely stop or delete, without jail break.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

I'll take "not quite multitasking of wp8" over "suck every last byte of ram you have to run processes and apps in background that you don't even use so it will lag Android" any day. My Android has more ram than my WP8 and it uses every byte of it on processes and apps I can't completely stop or delete, without jail break.

FYI this is way off topic, and Android and Jailbreak don't relate.

Windows Phone would be great if it handle multitasking similar to IOS and actually used the RAM.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Windows Phone would be great if it handle multitasking similar to IOS and actually used the RAM.

What type of phone app would actually need to execute in the background? The WP8 implementation keeps the app suspended, and I can't think of many cases where it would be useful for the app to actually continue running. Not saying they don't exist, though.

-E

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

There's no way to scroll to the top of a page quickly like on iOS where you can tap the status bar and be brought to the top, it's especially annoying on web Facebook for example if you scroll down the feed and try to have a conversation at the same time, having to scroll up so much or even just refresh the page. Hope Microsoft does something about this soon

Yes!!! This is by far the most annoying thing for me coming from iOS.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

What type of phone app would actually need to execute in the background? The WP8 implementation keeps the app suspended, and I can't think of many cases where it would be useful for the app to actually continue running. Not saying they don't exist, though.

-E

I would like to not sit through another "relaunch" or "resuming".

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I would like to not sit through another "relaunch" or "resuming".

Those come from older apps that haven't added support for WP8's new resume. With the new resume, it's instantaneous with not even a fraction of a second's delay.

-E

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a love-hate relation with my phone due to WP8.
Things I miss and want RIGHT now!

- Be less like North Korea and give me some freedom. Damn! this phone is more locked then iOS. Where is my bittorent client, separate video/music player, file task manager and so on in appstore?
- Separate volume for ringtune/sms/mail/alarm
- Can?t watch internet tv, no apps or tru internet... Every smartphone on the market can handle this, why not WP8?
- Dropmenu with fast settings for internet/flight mode and so on..
- Internet Explorer, well this sucks! give me some other browser please!
- Bad Youtube support
- Why can?t I change colour on the stock apps?
- Vibrating buttons, no thanks this is not a dildo :(
- When I watch a movie tru Netflix the three buttons are lighted... This should bee possible to turn off.
- When I press a number in the phone book the name should come up.
- Built in BING search function sucks.
Agree with most of those along with many of the other wants/needs in this thread.

I wish MS was as dedicated to WP as Apple is to IPhone. You see even just the little things that make iPhone stand out and its no wonder its so popular. They put 110% into it, and sadly I'm not so sure MS is doing the same thing. MS really needs to step things up. They have alot to fix, plenty to add which should've been included from the start, and of course plenty room to innovate.

Just look at this thread. While WP8 is good, clearly MS dropped the ball big time so far. Too many things broken, screwy that shouldn't of been. Too many no brainer features missing. Next to nothing that their OS can do that other OS's can't yet other OS's can do many things our phones can't.

MS has gone backward with WP8. I'm giving them a little more time to show me they are really going to be putting in the effort. If not, I will probably reluctantly jump ship and buy my first iPhone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb