(Official) What WP needs to succeed

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I post my idea regarding this issue in you suggestions page and in this thread I think our ideas is close what do you think ?

Your idea is Close to mine.. still it will need more work from MS.. what I requested is considerably Simple. So vote for mine... if you liked it. You will have access to FILES atleast through PC!!

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
wp8-clavier.jpg
swype-screencap-droid.png

I still think Windows keyboard still needs upgrade

Not necessarily in the swype function (although that option would be nice), but other keyboards have secondary keys that you can hit if you hold down a letter.

For instance, if you are typing a password and you have to go back and forth between letters and numbers, it is inconvinient to hit the number key to change the whole keyboard to numbers when you can hold down on "r" to get 1 and hold down on "t" to get 2.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
you do know that you can push and hold on the &123 number key and slide without letting go, and release over the number you wanted and it will automatically go back to the letters keyboard for you, makes swapping between numbers and letters for mixed passwords very quick! :)

Not necessarily in the swype function (although that option would be nice), but other keyboards have secondary keys that you can hit if you hold down a letter.

For instance, if you are typing a password and you have to go back and forth between letters and numbers, it is inconvinient to hit the number key to change the whole keyboard to numbers when you can hold down on "r" to get 1 and hold down on "t" to get 2.

Alvin Lo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Can Microsoft really work harder?!

I had been using Android for about 2 years witnessing its evolution from version 2.1 to 4.1. To me, Android was of good functionality and user-friendliness. The headache was its laggy performance due to ineffective coding. Everything was working fine but slow with my Motorola Defy which has only 512MB ram and single core 800Hz CPU installed.
I was unnoticed about Windows Phone and my target was a high-end Android phone. But a friend talked me into considering WP8 by elaborating the promising development of WP8 and its innovative tile design, as well as Nokia's leading hardware technology, especially in camera. I started Googling a wealth of information regarding Lumia 920 and WP8. Thrilled by the idea that WP8 shares the same core as Windows 8 so that it is plausible to transfer apps for W8 to WP8 without much difficulty, and the outstanding performance of Lumia 920's camera, I become attached to WP8 emotionally and was determined to purchase one.
However, to be honest, I was soon disappointed with the user-friendliness of WP8. Multitasking was never a problem in Android. I could always switch between apps without worrying the pausing or terminating any apps. Say, I could listen to music while surfing the net. But in WP8, I need to press the return button with great care. I bare in mind that once I press it, everything would stop, be it a YouTube playback, song or camera app. Hence, I cannot use my phone for doing other stuff if I want to enjoy the music. Under such scenario, Google's crowning WP8 as feature phones is well justified. This is a sorrowful, saddening and disappointing bug.
Another nightmare is the inability to manage files by folders. Starting from Windows 95, GUI folder system has been implemented and so far so good. It's effectiveness is unquestionable. Stunningly, Microsoft discarded this method and invented "hubs" to manage files. The design is pretty good, but unlike Android, I cannot locate, not to mention share or download the files from IE, whatsapp,etc. So, am I going to redownload the files if I need it again? I wonder why Microsoft always promise to hurt its loyal consumers.
But still, somehow I got accustomed to it and I still had enough faith on the world leader, Microsoft's ability. I was looking forward to the improvement in many aspects.
To my utter disappointment, so far much has been promised but little achieved. Even the most basic function of a smartphone- using Facebook and Whatsapp, YouTube,etc is full of bugs. So far, Facebook is still a beta app and I would miss virtually every notification if I do not deliberately check it. The people hub's integration with Facebook is no more than a toy with most of the functions of Facebook missing. Even giving a like and comment to somebody is not a piece of cake. So far, Whatsapp is very unstable with limited functionality compared with iOS or Android, and it drains battery at an incredible rate. So far, Google seems like a market giant who have avariciously flattened and demolished Microsoft by inhibiting it to develop a decent Youtube app. I have been waiting for long. Can you, Microsoft really do better and work harder? If you are not interested in making WP a better platform, get out and do not fight a phony war. Do not squander the sincere support of we, WP users. I appreciate your effort in Marketing. But I am regret to tell you that, your system is not good enough for people to switch. I am not going to give up WP8 but I would really urge your improvement! No more hesitation please.

Can anyone help send this letter to the managers of Microsoft? I really want actions.
by Alvin

Kmn3

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can Microsoft really work harder?!

Alvin Lo, you really hit the nail on the head.

After about 2 months with my Samsung Ativ S Neo, I really miss the functionallity of Android. And I don't mean the Google apps, since I never used them (and the reason that I thought a transition to Windows Phone would be easy). I mean the really simple stuff - Facebook notifications, the ability to create playlists on my phone for music, the ability to resize the internet browser, the syncing of all the folders in outlook (yes, including the draft folder, Microsoft!), Live Tiles that actually work (with the ability to say how often they refresh) - this one is really sad, because it is even hit and miss with the Microsoft created apps, the ability to save files on my SD Card and mail them to myself at work when I do not have internet for my laptop... The list goes on.

And it is incredible now that I could buy a Android phone and have access to Office on it - How do you give up your most major competitive advantage for convincing people to user your OS???

I agree heartily, Alvin Lo - now is not the time to switch, and Microsoft is really shooting themselves in the foot with this. In the saturated markets (Europe, Canada, America), consumers like you and I are the people that Microsoft has to target - people who have used smartphones and have a ideal of the minimum requirements for a smartphone.

I am not super tech heavy, worrying about the latest and greatest - I just want something that works. And currently, Microsoft isn't getting much of it correct. I have high hopes for the WP 8.1 update, but it needs to show up soon.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
WP has been around for three years and they still don't have a functioning Facebook app, I don't think this OS will ever be relevant in the U.S. I definitely would be embarrassed to recommend it to a friend or family members. What WP needs to succeed is to normalize relations with Google!

onlinespending

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
What WP needs to succeed is to normalize relations with Google!

Google has no interest in working with Microsoft for the Windows Phone. The only reason they support iOS is because it has a large market share. From Google's perspective, why encourage users to buy a Windows Phone by fully supporting it with their suite of software when those same people would likely just get an Android phone as the alternative. They'd rather not support Windows Phone in hopes that people will become frustrated and choose Android instead, which translates into more revenue for Google (through purchases of apps, music, and movies in its Play store, and more frequent use of its advertising supported search apps). Note, that this is different from a company choosing not to support Windows Phone solely because they don't think it's worth it with its small market share. Facebook makes money regardless of where you use its apps. Google on the other hand clearly makes more money if you use Android, so why support the growth of a direct competitor when it's in its early stages of adoption.

jorgemariom

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
you do know that you can push and hold on the &123 number key and slide without letting go, and release over the number you wanted and it will automatically go back to the letters keyboard for you, makes swapping between numbers and letters for mixed passwords very quick! :)

this is new for me

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk

Brian Peacock

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Working with a Lumia 920 is great but two things that lets it down are the lack of a global search (like Windows 8 or Apple's Spotlight) and the sort order of the Settings page.

How many times have you tried to find something in Settings and can't remember exactly where it is? Setting it A-Z, would allow the user to get used to the position of options even when new features become available. Also some things are hidden within sub pages in Settings so it's hit or miss if you get to the right place first time. Global search would improve usability as we then won't have to manually dig about and adding it to the search button at the bottom would likely make it the first choice when you want to quickly get somewhere in the phone. There's room for a phone search icon there as currently there are only three, namely 'Scout', 'music' and 'vision'.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well first of all MS should deal with the major issues users are reporting on their WP devices. Issues that have not been fixed until now. Also MS is missing an important feature for it's platform that is blocking it to enter business sector: VPN!! I know that 8.1 might bring VPN support but not in the way business users would need it. As I have heard from MS announcements VPN will come in a form of supported API for applications that need to trigger VPN connection. User do not need this!!! Business users need a normal VPN menu entry in Settings where they can configure their own VPN connection. Why is this so hard to implement? Don't know...But this and the fact that Nokia is not able to fix the so many issues on their phones, will drive users away from WP platform. Nokia is counting on their camera from their phones to act as an advantage, but with the latest camera bugs that they REFUSE to admit it exists, it does nothing else than throw users away to other platforms.
I have also chosen WP because of Nokia mainly and I am happy with it, but the lack of VPN and the fact that my pictures are being destroyed by the CRAPPY algorithm Nokia developed for post processing is making me think to switch to IOS or Android. Now my photos look worse than a 5mpx iphone 4 photo. I do not know who that ***** who is working with cameras at Nokia is, but he really needs a pair of glasses to see his garbage work.

ilovenokia

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Well first of all MS should deal with the major issues users are reporting on their WP devices. Issues that have not been fixed until now. Also MS is missing an important feature for it's platform

This is why I trade my Lumia 520 with Samsung Galaxy s4 mini, I can't make Windows Phone 8 primary daily driver for me.
I will keep my Lumia 920 until WP8.1 update.

I wish if Stephen Elop Nokia's CEO didn't killed MeeGo OS, at the time he said that MeeGo OS is not ready yet and they should replace it with Windows Phone 7 and until now I believe that Windows Phone 8 is not ready yet tobe real smartphone OS

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is counting on their camera from their phones to act as an advantage, but with the latest camera bugs that they REFUSE to admit it exists, it does nothing else than throw users away to other platforms.
.....the fact that my pictures are being destroyed by the CRAPPY algorithm Nokia developed for post processing is making me think to switch to IOS or Android. Now my photos look worse than a 5mpx iphone 4 photo. I do not know who that ***** who is working with cameras at Nokia is, but he really needs a pair of glasses to see his garbage work.

I recently sold my Lumia 920 and used my HW upgrade to get an iPhone 5s. I noticed that ever since the GDR2 update my L920 pictures have gotten increasingly worse over time. I'm no photographer, so the Pro Cam was something i tried but avoided since i found the auto settings to generate worse pictures than the default app. So i went back to using the simple, awesome stock app...but the picture quality just wasnt the same as it used to be months earlier. Now there's a possibility GDR3 has fixed this and thats great...but i just wanted to point out that one of the my main reasons for loving this phone got crapped on.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This is why I trade my Lumia 520 with Samsung Galaxy s4 mini, I can't make Windows Phone 8 primary daily driver for me.
I will keep my Lumia 920 until WP8.1 update.

I wish if Stephen Elop Nokia's CEO didn't killed MeeGo OS, at the time he said that MeeGo OS is not ready yet and they should replace it with Windows Phone 7 and until now I believe that Windows Phone 8 is not ready yet tobe real smartphone OS

WP is more than a feature phone os but less than smartphone OS, when wp8 was announced ppl expected it to cover limitations of wp7.5 now that 8 dint do that ppl hv high expectations with wp8.1 but I think not until wp9 we'll see a true "smart" OS

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 49739
View attachment 49740

Needs an HID Bluetooth profile to allow external keyboard use.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Personally, having come from iOS and having had my Lumia 1020 for a month and a bit, I think the general idea of WP8, Windows 8.1 and the general direction/idea they are going in in terms of development, UI, layout and features is great. I really like the slick UI, integration and all. However coming from iOS of course there is a good amount of things I really do miss, yet think about it; Windows 8 was a significant change from Windows 7 however there were still issues and features either Microsoft ran out of time to implement or people missed. With Windows 8.1 I have found that most of the main gripes I had with Windows 8 were sorted - things like boot to desktop which people saw as absolutely necessary to have if they were to upgrade, were added in 8.1. Similarly I think WP8.1 will do the same thing - bring a whole new host of features and fixes that are sorely needed for WP to thrive. They're already getting somewhere with developer (read: Instagram) support to bring familiarity to new users with apps they know and use.

So here's my "much-needed" feature list:
  • VPN support
  • Better passcode protection (facial recognition, alphabetical for example)
  • Gapless playback
  • FULL device backup that will include Start Screen layout etc.
  • Some kind of improvement to general notifications, including better reliability of notifications and/or management i.e. the ability to see past notifications easier
  • Some "killer" features (okay we know Cortana but how about some nice features making use of integration between WP and Windows? I'd like the ability to easily continue work from my phone to my desktop by tapping screens)
  • Push out updates like iOS - not reliant on carriers
  • Some way to either manually refresh tiles or set the refresh rate
  • Quick settings - Android has it, iOS has it and even WM6.5 had it (I think?)
  • Native GIF support in photos hub (cough Cinemapgraph cough)
  • Percentage battery
  • Actual WiFi indicator - I was quite surprised to find out one day the wifi indicator doesn't show signal strength....I mean the cell symbol does so why not WiFi?
  • Improve Find My Phone - it's not too reliable for me and doesn't refresh my location every few hours even with the option ticked....also something ala Activation Lock in iOS 7 would be nice (personally that's something I think every OS should have
  • UNIVERSAL SEARCH. I'm surprised they don't have this despite the dedicated search button....

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a noob, but ya know coming from iOS tiny things and features that really should be there I miss, for the most part I think WP8 is great and I do not regret switching :D

connorscanlin

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
app store

Ok the games and apps for the windows phone 8 are absolutely horrible in every way. If the store even has some of the good apps that come free on ios or android devices they cost money! All the games in the store suck, they constantly freeze and have numerous other problems. And just because the app store has some kind off app that was thrown together in a couple of minutes and the name is changed around doesn't mean its the same as the actual app that is on ios or android devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)