Visit site
Re: Great Michael Fisher piece on Instagram and Windows

"Phone" disappeared from the title, if a mod can correct that please. Thanks

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm ...

Why does it have to be instagram? Why not other picture sharing apps?

I've been asking myself that question for a while, because I simply couldn't unterstand.

I think I found a part of the answer on the forum of another site. One of the commentors said that it's not the picture itself that is the most important part of him, and it is not the sharing itself (otherwise he could share by other means), its the fact that he (or she) got followers and comments on the pictures.

I believe for someone who likes having "online friends/followers/being commented on", a widespread app is important as even if that person could share this pictures using other picture portals such as flicker or photobucket, that person might not get such a following. I think a person who shares the pictures for the sakes of sharing with a loved one (Like sending a family member living far away a new picture of oneself) and doesn't care about being followed and commented on, Instagram is not important. Just a theory.

To further develop my theory: Isn't it especially younger people, plus maybe people new to the smartphone world, who find such apps exciting for a shorter or longer while? Younger people tend not to question the "why's" of their action that much, and might not question that there is a reason for their need for being commented and followed, while older people have had time to get to know themselves better, learned it's better not to take yourself too seriously, don't find the opinions of others that important anymore therefore don't feel the point of such apps.
Just a theory, guys, I'm not judging anymone. I've been younger too, and when I was younger, I found the opinion of others very important. It took me years to develop that kind of self security that doesn't depend on other people's opinions. I loved compliments, remarks about the way I looked and for things I've done, would enjoy days when the nice comments flowed and would feel down when not (or even worse, when I got bad comments). When getting older, I lost the need of being judged by my surroundings and enjoyed the things I did just for the sake of doing them, no matter what other people might thinkg about it.

So, in other words: My younger self would probably have used Instagram and enjoyed it for a while. My older self doesn't see the point anymore. Does that make me wiser than younger people ? I hope I got wiser with age, and not only wrinklier :wink: Does it give me the right to question actions that other people don't? Of course. Does it make me a better person having the right of judging other people who don't see behind the scene (yet), don't question aspects of instagram (yet) ? No, it doesn't,m even though I'm not able to understand them.

So, what's the meaning for MS? If it wants to avoid that the app gap keeps people to buy WP devices, it neeeds to push, somehow, such popular apps to the platform. Even if some of us don't understand and don't get the appeal, lots of people want that app. And you know what? They will buy into a system that got most apps, and any salesperson will advise them to buy either iOS or Android. And you know what else? A lot of people don't even know that there are different mobile phone systems around (A friend, who is a new smartphone user - an iPHone - was surprised about the fact that having a certain app on her device didn't automatically mean that I can have it for my device), so they'll to what their peer group or the salesperson will advise them to do ...

What do you guys think?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

As for the "why exactly Instagram?", cos of the community and that's where people are. It's most likely not so much the features itself that are somehow unique to Instagram, there's probably 10 other run of the mill services that do the same, but the people arn't there, they are on Instagram.

Regardless, I don't understand what the people are doing there in the first place :p

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

As for the "why exactly Instagram?", cos of the community and that's where people are. It's most likely not so much the features itself that are somehow unique to Instagram, there's probably 10 other run of the mill services that do the same, but the people arn't there, they are on Instagram.

Regardless, I don't understand what the people are doing there in the first place :p

yep.

in a dick and Jane conversation:

"cool new phone! here, instagram Marsha were at the beach !"

..."doesn't have instagram"

"here, use my iPhone then!"

that's another sale lost, and word of mouth advertising lost.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand why people don't get that it's not about the stupid app. It's about the users. For those of you who are saying "WP don't need instagram. I don't use instagram"... this is rubbish.

WP needs instagram because that's whats popular. So no one cares if you use it or not. No one cares if you like it or not. Suck it up and take one for the team.

It's a tough cycle as I've said in many other posts.. Instagram will go where the users are. The users will go where instagram is. Who is going to take the first step.

"According to an interview with Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook -the new corporate owner of the photo-sharing powerhouse- Instagram?s user base already exceeded 100 million users as of 11 September"

100 million users. I rest my case.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

...it's the fact that he (or she) got followers and comments on the pictures...
At Thanksgiving, I asked my 16-year old cousin why she liked Instragram so much. Her only answer then was that it was "cool." I pressed more at Christmas and she said the magic words "I get likes and comments." There's a sort of validation and sense of accomplishment from gathering kudos from others that some people are very drawn to.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

yep.

in a dick and Jane conversation:

"cool new phone! here, instagram Marsha were at the beach !"

..."doesn't have instagram"

"here, use my iPhone then!"

that's another sale lost, and word of mouth advertising lost.

This seems to me a contrived scenario. To me Instgram is an iOS social network first and foremost. Bringing the app to Windows Phone would do nothing for the platform.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

At Thanksgiving, I asked my 16-year old cousin why she liked Instragram so much. Her only answer then was that it was "cool." I pressed more at Christmas and she said the magic words "I get likes and comments." There's a sort of validation and sense of accomplishment from gathering kudos from others that some people are very drawn to.

This validates what I thought. Instagram is a social network first and filters app second.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

This seems to me a contrived scenario. To me Instgram is an iOS social network first and foremost. Bringing the app to Windows Phone would do nothing for the platform.
It's on Android as well, and if you bring it to WP8, you brings millions of customers who want a new phone experience and their favorite app.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

So the folks who clamored for it on Android isn't any indication that those outside IOS do want the app?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

This month it is instagram. WP will get it and soon thereafter it will fall out of favor by the next great thing. If we don't get it right away, folks will bellow, "See? This is why Windows Phone will fail!!!!"

I can hardly wait.:grincry:

TroySchuster

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Instagram on a device has become a 'given' in the already acquainted's eyes. When you put a device in front of them that doesn't have what I would term essentials for a smartphone, they look at you confused and don't understand why it isn't available. WP does very well at sharing pics and has some great photo editing apps, but because there are 100mil users that we show that WP is the better OS, they look equally confused when you tell them IG is not available on this ... 'yet'.

Christmas season I also took note of family members that were playing with their ios and android phones. The apps they were talking about were all available on each device and some of those I had available too. There were a number of apps that both admitted the WP alternative to what they could find on their OS was far superior.

The point is having the app - even if it was available for .99c. At least it would be available, and those that want it would definitely handover a dollar (even if there were a couple million that would change devices based on IG availability, it would pay off for both IG and WP).

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Having Instagram may not help Windows Phone, but not having it will definitely hold it back. Windows Phone needs the popular/top apps, and not only that, it needs to deliver them in a way that differentiates it from the iOS/Android competition. I like the example given in the article, integrating Instagram into WP to the point where it shows up in lenses, in sharing, etc. is a great way to differentiate WP from the competition using what's popular and IN today. Imagine an advertisement on TV with "Jimmy loves Instagram...well Jimmy, how would you like Instagram work with some of the best smartphone cameras right off the bat, as you capture the moment you want friends and fans to see, just as you did...?" Microsoft needs to push to further integrating Facebook into WP with an official app at the center (e.g. Skype)... Spend some money doing the same with LinkedIn, Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogspot, etc.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm ...

Why does it have to be instagram? Why not other picture sharing apps?

I've been asking myself that question for a while, because I simply couldn't unterstand.

I think I found a part of the answer on the forum of another site. One of the commentors said that it's not the picture itself that is the most important part of him, and it is not the sharing itself (otherwise he could share by other means), its the fact that he (or she) got followers and comments on the pictures.

I believe for someone who likes having "online friends/followers/being commented on", a widespread app is important as even if that person could share this pictures using other picture portals such as flicker or photobucket, that person might not get such a following. I think a person who shares the pictures for the sakes of sharing with a loved one (Like sending a family member living far away a new picture of oneself) and doesn't care about being followed and commented on, Instagram is not important. Just a theory.

To further develop my theory: Isn't it especially younger people, plus maybe people new to the smartphone world, who find such apps exciting for a shorter or longer while? Younger people tend not to question the "why's" of their action that much, and might not question that there is a reason for their need for being commented and followed, while older people have had time to get to know themselves better, learned it's better not to take yourself too seriously, don't find the opinions of others that important anymore therefore don't feel the point of such apps.
Just a theory, guys, I'm not judging anymone. I've been younger too, and when I was younger, I found the opinion of others very important. It took me years to develop that kind of self security that doesn't depend on other people's opinions. I loved compliments, remarks about the way I looked and for things I've done, would enjoy days when the nice comments flowed and would feel down when not (or even worse, when I got bad comments). When getting older, I lost the need of being judged by my surroundings and enjoyed the things I did just for the sake of doing them, no matter what other people might thinkg about it.

So, in other words: My younger self would probably have used Instagram and enjoyed it for a while. My older self doesn't see the point anymore. Does that make me wiser than younger people ? I hope I got wiser with age, and not only wrinklier :wink: Does it give me the right to question actions that other people don't? Of course. Does it make me a better person having the right of judging other people who don't see behind the scene (yet), don't question aspects of instagram (yet) ? No, it doesn't,m even though I'm not able to understand them.

So, what's the meaning for MS? If it wants to avoid that the app gap keeps people to buy WP devices, it neeeds to push, somehow, such popular apps to the platform. Even if some of us don't understand and don't get the appeal, lots of people want that app. And you know what? They will buy into a system that got most apps, and any salesperson will advise them to buy either iOS or Android. And you know what else? A lot of people don't even know that there are different mobile phone systems around (A friend, who is a new smartphone user - an iPHone - was surprised about the fact that having a certain app on her device didn't automatically mean that I can have it for my device), so they'll to what their peer group or the salesperson will advise them to do ...

What do you guys think?

Very well said. I love my Lumia 900, and will get a WP8 phone when my contract expires, but I can't recommend it to most people I know, because I know they would be terribly disappointed that so much of what's fun and new in the online social interaction sphere would not be available to them. It's not about app functionality, it's about interactions, and they would be left out, compared to if they went with an Android or iOS device. I don't care myself for these apps, but I can see why others do. And the elitist attitude (or maybe it's just a way to convince themselves that they made a good phone choice) among many of the WP users isn't really helping. We should tell MS to get these apps out at whatever the cost may be, not tell them that we don't want these users anyway...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)