Change of heart...& mind.

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
8S=sexy look but bad specs
820=ugly look in comparison to 8S but has better specs. In fact has almost everything the 920 has except cameras and screen are different the rest is the same plus you can add storage

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Is microSD a must have for you? Because if you're going to pay for a 820, you might as well go for the 8X (not S). They cost pretty much the same.

I don't quite like the 8X so much. Also, today when I was holding the 8X and 8S, the screen looked purplish on the 8X. But the 8S screen was just perfect. Whites were whites. Also, I think here in India, the 920 will be the same as 8X. But the 820 will be a little less and close to the 8S. So, it all now depends on the pricing...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
8S=sexy look but bad specs
820=ugly look in comparison to 8S but has better specs. In fact has almost everything the 920 has except cameras and screen are different the rest is the same plus you can add storage

ezamuqus.jpg

Yep! U said it...

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hah! Ok...even for someone who doesn't use a lot of apps and will use the phone for social networking?
I think if I don't put a lot of apps and (I won't) it wil b fine...

It will probably be adequate, sure, but why would anyone choose the 8S when they could have an 820 for a little more and get the fast processor, double the RAM and double the internal memory? Even a 620 is a better choice with better specs.

Think of it as future proofing. Don't be surprised if the 8S gets left behind in a future WP OS update due to its inferior specs.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't quite like the 8X so much. Also, today when I was holding the 8X and 8S, the screen looked purplish on the 8X. But the 8S screen was just perfect. Whites were whites. Also, I think here in India, the 920 will be the same as 8X. But the 820 will be a little less and close to the 8S. So, it all now depends on the pricing...

That must've been a faulty model because the screen looks normal to me.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Consider that part of that 4GB will be taken by the OS. I wish I could remember how much space was taken after I reset my phone, so I could tell you, but U do remember that it was enough to surprise me. Both the 4GB and the 512MB RAM would be enough to make me look elsewhere.

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Consider that part of that 4GB will be taken by the OS. I wish I could remember how much space was taken after I reset my phone, so I could tell you, but U do remember that it was enough to surprise me. Both the 4GB and the 512MB RAM would be enough to make me look elsewhere.

Wow really good point, considering the OS is 1GB+, virtual cache is another 1GB, what's left?? Can you install apps on a micro-SD?? Coz if not then that's an incredibly tiny bit left of space for apps....

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The only advantage the 8S has is removable storage. And the 8X only has 8GB of storage. That was what got me to buy the 920.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
But i think even the sharper resolution in making the phone a lil cooler.
Is the 4" size perfect to read and write for a long time?
I may have to work from it...I mean write from the phone whilst commuting. Will it b too much of a hassle and uncomfortable and a strain on the eye?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before, if you are open to the 820 it is hands down better than the 8S. You won't even be able to use all the WP8 apps with the 8S due to its 512mb RAM limitation. The 820, on the other hand, has the same internals as the flagship WP8 phones.

That being said, the 8S will still operate smoothly at core functions and likely will be good enough - but the 820 is no question a better phone overall.

Bottom line, you like the 8S style better. Do you wish to sacrifice substance for style? If so, get the 8S. If not, get the 820.

I'd also guess that the 820 has better build quality/durability, if that means anything to you. I would just pick one and move on, though, as your personal debate has gone on for long enough :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
As I've said before, if you are open to the 820 it is hands down better than the 8S. You won't even be able to use all the WP8 apps with the 8S due to its 512mb RAM limitation. The 820, on the other hand, has the same internals as the flagship WP8 phones.

That being said, the 8S will still operate smoothly at core functions and likely will be good enough - but the 820 is no question a better phone overall.

Bottom line, you like the 8S style better. Do you wish to sacrifice substance for style? If so, get the 8S. If not, get the 820.

I'd also guess that the 820 has better build quality/durability, if that means anything to you. I would just pick one and move on, though, as your personal debate has gone on for long enough :)

Hahahha...I was just thinking that.
Anyways. One last question would be, that will the 4" screen b a problem? I mean strainful for the eye? For writing an reading?

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hah! Ok...even for someone who doesn't use a lot of apps and will use the phone for social networking?
I think if I don't put a lot of apps and (I won't) it wil b fine...

With only 4gb memory, you will have about 2gb free memory to begin with and believe me, even if you don't use lot of apps, that 4gb will be gone soon.
You will be constantly juggling to free space. I believe little extra money is worth putting in for a better phone, specially in India, where I believe you are not constantly connected to internet that you can rely on cloud space totally.

Also, even though 8S looks better, eventually you will end up putting case on it(based on people's complaints about 8X's color degradation), after which its looks won't matter at all.

PS: I know, I mentioned about 8X's color degradation above, but I believe same will apply for 8S also, since I think they both have same materials/coloring method from HTC, which isn't looking good based on the other thread going on.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
With only 4gb memory, you will have about 2gb free memory to begin with and believe me, even if you don't use lot of apps, that 4gb will be gone soon.
You will be constantly juggling to free space. I believe little extra money is worth putting in for a better phone, specially in India, where I believe you are not constantly
connected to internet that you can rely on cloud space totally.

Also, even though 8S looks better, eventually you will end up putting case on it(based on people's complaints about 8X's color degradation), after which its looks won't matter at all.

2 excellent points.
I am connected to the net 24X7 & there but one case I just read of degradation of the 8S. I have see all the 8Xs with discolouration and other hardware problems.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I would just pick one and move on, though, as your personal debate has gone on for long enough :)

Bearing in mind I would probably be willing to spend in excess of 18 months trying to decide on the perfect phone, I say let his personal debate continue. I'll say this though, it'll definitely be worth looking at the 820 over the 8S. Removable battery, Nokia audio, super-sensitive screen, etc. I would say it is worth trading in the looks for it (also I quite like the looks of the 820)

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
2 excellent points.
I am connected to the net 24X7 & there but one case I just read of degradation of the 8S. I have see all the 8Xs with discolouration and other hardware problems.

That's because I think the number of 8S sold it not high compared to 8X, specially in US, I believe. Hence you don't see many posts about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo