Future Updates to WP8

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what the next update will bring, but it would be sweet to bring back some of the features we had in WP7 and WM6.5 that are currently missing:

1. System-wide file manager
  2. Connecting to Wi-Fi networks using a static IP address
  3. Separate the list of past phone calls into inbound, outbound, or missed calls
  4. USB sync for Outlook
  5. IPsec VPN
  6. Universal Search
  7. RDP client
  8. FM radio support
  9. Native turn-by-turn directions
  10. Wi-Fi sync

Then take it from there.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues watching videos I have made or movies I have sync'ed in Xbox Music/video. Maybe you saved them in the wrong format...

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have no issues watching videos I have made or movies I have sync'ed in Xbox Music/video. Maybe you saved them in the wrong format...

I believe you misunderstood this point. The problem is that we can't buy or rent videos from Xbox Video, and sync them to a Windows Phone 8 device, like we could in WP7 with the Zune Video Marketplace. Nobody has been able to do this, and Microsoft claims WP8 was not designed for this, despite using Xbox Video as a selling point only days before.

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Some things I want to see:
* can't find the option on my Nokia 820, but I would love to have picture password like on windows 8.
* a music player that isn't as tied into the "cloud". I don't want to stream music, I don't want to fork out $3 per track where its much cheaper from BPM or itunes. I would love something like poweramp on android, a no fuss media player.
* manual search for update in the store.

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Flash is dead, that will never happen

If this was true then I would not be getting the "Your device doesn't support Flash" banner or a black rectangle on some websites. I understand that everybody is leaving flash behind but there are some websites that still use it. And it doesn't make my mobile experience any better if I can't access some of the content because the browser does not support flash. You can argue that it's not IE's fault and these websites need to update their content blah, blah, blah....but until they do it woluld be nice to have flash supported. Now, you are probably right that we will never get it, but it's freaking annoying not having it now. Ahhh, whatever...

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
ok, so I don't have to start a new thread. Just what is portico? (on my second day as a WP8 new owner).

It's the latest update for wp8. Check on settings>about>more info and if your OS version is 8.0.10211.204 then you have Portico. If you are in the U.S. I'm pretty sure everyone got it (not sure about people on Verizon did). If you are out of the US, some countries received it some countries haven't yet.

AlenMak

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice it they added the ability to adjust ringtone volume and media volume separately.

That kindda annoy me too... coming from android, a user is free to do what ever you want wit the phone settings, but surprisingly, nokia choose not to add too many functions on this phone ... wp is much of a blend of ios and android ... few more possibilities than on ios but again some less futures than on android ... wp still got a long way to go ... i luv my nokia L920, but creecing sounds from the back lid next to the camera, overheating when using some apps and firmware on it's beggining stage, not really my cup of tea.. proably going back to android ASAP

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon user here, so I'm assuming I'll get portico sometime in 2015

Did you own a Trophy ?? Verizon has been the BEST in the US for sending out Windows Phone 7.5 updates on the Trophy, better than AT&T, TMOUS and everyone in the US. Not sure on their standing on Windows Phone 8 but, they do very good testing before releasing a update so they come out stable.

Isn't Portico a Microsoft released update ? As said by MS, that they will not wait for carriers to release updates...

I hate Verizon (yep, still got them) because of how they blacklisted older members but, when it comes to Windows Phone udpates...they have have a good record.

It would be nice it they added the ability to adjust ringtone volume and media volume separately.

Been asking for this one BEFORE Windows Phone 7 (not 7.5) was released. One of my biggest missing features from WIndows Mobile 6.X

jdom

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I live in Europe also, Portugal to be exact and we already have Portico available in all models and Networks over here, and all 3 of our operators sell at least 8X, at least one has the 8S and probably all have 920 also... So it is available outside of US and UK for that matter
how are you fellow countryman?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but isn't the point of live tiles is partially THE notification center for windows phone? What exactly do you all expect the notification pane to do?

killer rin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but isn't the point of live tiles is partially THE notification center for windows phone? What exactly do you all expect the notification pane to do?

I expect it to shut up all of the Android people who complain about a lack of one. Listen, as WP users we know we don't need it, so we get it to shut everyone up and remove a point from Android People who won't recommend WP due to a personal agenda.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a stack ranked short list of things that I want in the next update, if I get these I'll go from an angry customer who would return their phone today if I could to a very happy supporter.

1) Fix the intermittent severe battery drain/hot phone issue.
2) Enable persistent WiFi on Standby
3) WiFi Playlist/Media/Photo Sync which bypasses the cloud
4) Full Podcast support that syncs to a Podcast app on the PC ... Zune used to be the best, then MS killed it and Apple really nailed it on iOS6.
5) Notification Center
6) Separate Media/Alert/Ringer/Alarm volume controls

Last edited:

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I expect it to shut up all of the Android people who complain about a lack of one. Listen, as WP users we know we don't need it, so we get it to shut everyone up and remove a point from Android People who won't recommend WP due to a personal agenda.

I appreciate the snark, but honestly this isn't true. Live tiles are great for glance-able info. Temperature, number of texts/emails next appointment. This is not the same thing as a Toast notification. Live tiles do nothing if I want to see a quick list of my missed calls and texts when I was away from my phone, they just give me a number while a notification center gives me actual detail on who called/texted me and when.

Of course you can just open each app to get this, but that's more clicks and it's also not an available option in every app. The best example of the need for a notification center is the ESPN and CNN apps. Each can give you a toast with scores, updates and breaking news alerts. These toasts are useless w/out a notification center if you don't get your phone up and open in time to read them. Complicating matters further is that the WP toast bar doesn't scroll or allow any way to read the full message meaning much of the info is completely and permanently inaccessible. Theoretically each app could maintain their own record of toast alerts that were sent, but they currently don't and it's unreasonable to expect every developer to build this functionality.

It's valuable to see all toasts/alerts from all apps in a time sorted thread as well, Live tiles can't do this. The Me tile's notification center does this for inbound social updates and the people hub does it for individual contacts for calls/messages/emails under history, but there's nothing unified and there's nothing for app updates that aren't tiled to an account record.

Also it's worth noting that Live Tiles have an inherent issue with displaying text of more than 6-8 words is a easy to read format. An issue exacerbated by the addition of extra small tiles.

jwilliams

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess some of my pet peeves that I would hope to be fixed and improved are:
  • Better podcast support and media player
  • Text reflow in IE10
  • Fix Marketplace Notifications

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member