Facebook Messenger updated - Windows Phone left behind again...

D2

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
TheVerge reports iOS and Android users of Facebook Messenger are getting the ability to voice call each other for free over wifi:

Facebook tests free voice calling in Messenger app | The Verge

Whilst the rest of the world enjoys this, we are still yet unable to send a simple picture over the facebook messaging system, or even have it work half reliably.

When is Windows Phone going to catch up in terms of technology and support. This total lack of support from Google and Facebook, two huge services integral to so many, is a real downer for an otherwise great OS.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It is going to take FB writing their own app for WP8. The built in integrated functionality actually works well for me since i rarely use FB but for a lot of people it isn't enough. MS can't write their own client since they can't keep up and the web interfaces will not be able to integrate things like notifications and VoIP.

It's not really a WP native problem its lack of users to motivate developers, kind of a chicken and egg problem at this point. MS needs to line some pockets at FB to get an app developed,may e they already are...

profet

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
MS can't write their own client since they can't keep up and the web interfaces will not be able to integrate things like notifications and VoIP.

I don't believe that is correct. I'm assuming facebook is utilizing XMPP for video/voice calls just as they are using XMPP for presence and instant messaging, so that is fairly trivial to get working even for third parties.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
TheVerge reports iOS and Android users of Facebook Messenger are getting the ability to voice call each other for free over wifi:

Facebook tests free voice calling in Messenger app | The Verge

Whilst the rest of the world enjoys this, we are still yet unable to send a simple picture over the facebook messaging system, or even have it work half reliably.

When is Windows Phone going to catch up in terms of technology and support. This total lack of support from Google and Facebook, two huge services integral to so many, is a real downer for an otherwise great OS.

Doom and gloom eh? And lol @ catch up with technology.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Mental. MS own shares in Facebook too don't they!? Surely, one would think that should help above and beyond the others. Counts for sh#t obviously!

It would suck @ss as I use the services but what would Google and Facebook do if MS decided to block them!? Say at the OS level and/or IE level. They'd take a right hit. Obviously wouldn't happen as it would be MS being the c0cks in that scenario, similar they'd just lose in a lawsuit but the point is just that... why are Google and Facebook being c0cks??

Oops. /Rant over

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
It is going to take FB writing their own app for WP8. The built in integrated functionality actually works well for me since i rarely use FB but for a lot of people it isn't enough. MS can't write their own client since they can't keep up and the web interfaces will not be able to integrate things like notifications and VoIP.

It's not really a WP native problem its lack of users to motivate developers, kind of a chicken and egg problem at this point. MS needs to line some pockets at FB to get an app developed,may e they already are...

Quite the opposite - it IS a native WP problem. All of the IM apps on WP suffer from these problems - messages arrive late or not at all, notifications are unreliable. I honestly believe there is something broken at the core of the WP push notifications system . And as long as Microsoft does not fix that we will never have a reliable IM option on WP.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Quite the opposite - it IS a native WP problem. All of the IM apps on WP suffer from these problems - messages arrive late or not at all, notifications are unreliable. I honestly believe there is something broken at the core of the WP push notifications system . And as long as Microsoft does not fix that we will never have a reliable IM option on WP.

I don't think the OS has anything to do with it. I use MetroTalk and push notifications with google voice and it works fine. I also haven't really experienced issues with Facebook messaging in the phone. People message me and I get the message within a few seconds.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the OS has anything to do with it. I use MetroTalk and push notifications with google voice and it works fine. I also haven't really experienced issues with Facebook messaging in the phone. People message me and I get the message within a few seconds.

The fact that it worked for you does not mean that the problem does not exist and other people don't experience these issues. You just need to look here in the forums and you'll find plenty of people that do have these issues. You said yourself that you use Facebook rarely, so I think you were just lucky that it never happened to you until now.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The fact that it worked for you does not mean that the problem does not exist and other people don't experience these issues. You just need to look here in the forums and you'll find plenty of people that do have these issues. You said yourself that you use Facebook rarely, so I think you were just lucky that it never happened to you until now.

As much as I try to defend MS I have to agree with you. Something isn't quite right. Don't know why they can't update Windows 8 and WP8 to do VoIP calling using a Phone Hub. Would be great integration. I would use it a LOT.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3