I want a "dumb" Bluetooth Stereo

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here's what I really want. I want a "dumb" Bluetooth head unit. I don't want the stereo to try and be too smart. I don't want it to download my address book, I don't want it to try and do any sort of crazy voice recognition. I want my Windows Phone to do all of that for me. I believe WP + future updates will give me a far better voice control experience over the long run than any head unit software can. I want a simple head unit that simply hands off to WP when I hit the call button on the stereo just like it would if I were to long press the start button on the phone. When incoming texts/calls arrive, I want WP to let me know about it, not the head unit.

It's hard for me to navigate all of these "fancy" aftermarket head units since they all seem to try and do voice recognition, contact downloading etc. I guess it's OK if a head unit supports this stuff so long as there is a way for me to disable it and instead defer to my phone.

USB support is also not a big deal to me since from my experience WP does a pretty good job, especially when paired with the "Hey DJ" app in the store. This app + a "dumb" BT connection should give me everything I could ever want without ever having to take my phone out of my pocket.

Any recommendations?

Grog337

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wish you could set up Ford Sync this way. Even the current WP8 works great for voice commands. (I had a "dumb" Motorola unit in my last car that worked great, without all the extra junk that you never use anyway).

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I currently have a simple little Motorola aftermarket kit that has a built in FM transmitter. I love this thing and it works great except for a few problems.

1. It's not built in, so I have to manually turn it on and off.
2. Has a battery I need to worry about charging from time to time.
3. FM transmitter means I need to mess around with a matching radio station and deal with interference when traveling
4. If I'm listening to the radio there is no way for it to intercept the radio and take over
5. It has "caller ID" support which is the one "smart" thing it tries to do which bugs me. Incoming calls read out the phone number instead of WP notifying me of the real person

If my simple little Motorola unit existed in head unit form I'd be mostly happy. I'd be even happier if it didn't have caller ID support.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's what I really want. I want a "dumb" Bluetooth head unit. I don't want the stereo to try and be too smart. I don't want it to download my address book, I don't want it to try and do any sort of crazy voice recognition. I want my Windows Phone to do all of that for me. I believe WP + future updates will give me a far better voice control experience over the long run than any head unit software can. I want a simple head unit that simply hands off to WP when I hit the call button on the stereo just like it would if I were to long press the start button on the phone. When incoming texts/calls arrive, I want WP to let me know about it, not the head unit.

It's hard for me to navigate all of these "fancy" aftermarket head units since they all seem to try and do voice recognition, contact downloading etc. I guess it's OK if a head unit supports this stuff so long as there is a way for me to disable it and instead defer to my phone.

USB support is also not a big deal to me since from my experience WP does a pretty good job, especially when paired with the "Hey DJ" app in the store. This app + a "dumb" BT connection should give me everything I could ever want without ever having to take my phone out of my pocket.

Any recommendations?

Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

This does exactly what you describe. I have two of them - they work great. If you're paranoid about the FM transmitter, just use an aux cable to go from the FlexSmart unit directly to the stereo. I PROMISE you this will do everything you're asking.

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

This does exactly what you describe. I have two of them - they work great. If you're paranoid about the FM transmitter, just use an aux cable to go from the FlexSmart unit directly to the stereo. I PROMISE you this will do everything you're asking.

Well, that does indeed look nicer than what I have, and it appears to solve issues #1, #2, (maybe #5). However, #3 and #4 are still an issue. What I really want to do is replace my stock stereo with something that does basically this same thing. I want to be able to listen to the regular FM/AM radio but have my phone take over when there is an incoming call/text. I don't want to have to mess around with inputs/FM/Aux.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, that does indeed look nicer than what I have, and it appears to solve issues #1, #2, (maybe #5). However, #3 and #4 are still an issue. What I really want to do is replace my stock stereo with something that does basically this same thing. I want to be able to listen to the regular FM/AM radio but have my phone take over when there is an incoming call/text. I don't want to have to mess around with inputs/FM/Aux.

So here's how you solve this problem.

Step 1 : Get a phone mount where it doesn't distract from you driving, but is in your peripheral vision.

Step 2 : Program whatever FM channel you choose on the FlexSmart to be a "favorite" on your radio. I have mine as favorite #1 so I can easily tap it.

Step 3 : Profit.

Here's how it'll work. You'll get in your car, make sure your phone's bluetooth is on, put it in the mount, and it'll connect to the FlexSmart. At that point that station (106.1, if that's what you set it up as, for example) becomes your "Bluetooth" channel.

You'll see the call or text coming in out the side of your eye, slap the favorite button on your radio associated with your FlexSmart, and now you're on your "Bluetooth" channel, able to receive the call, reply to the text with voice, or listen to podcasts/whatever.

You will really only need to hit ONE button to do everything you want.

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh... if I weren't a perfectionist this would be.... perfect! :)

I think the reason I'm stuck on this is I don't want to have to think about doing anything. I want my phone/car to work together on this without me needing to do anything, and that includes taking the phone out of my pocket.

Now for the ugly truth. I want this as much for my wife as for myself. She's in and out of the car all day driving the kids from place to place. Her phone is often in her purse or pocket and she just doesn't care enough to think about where to put her phone when she gets in the car. I want to be able to text her, call her etc. I want her to be safe. I want my kids to be safe. In my opinion, the best way for this to happen is for her radio to automatically turn down, and have WP announce who is calling.

The only way for this to happen is for the system to be built into the head unit.

This one looks pretty basic, and pretty cheap too: Amazon.com: JVC Bluetooth In-Dash Digital Media Receiver with Dual USB Ports: Car Electronics

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You will really only need to hit ONE button to do everything you want.

Actually, wouldn't this be two buttons? One to change the radio preset and a second to answer the call? I guess the point is moot though, if the phone is in her purse she'd never know the phone was ringing if she was listening to a different radio station while connected to BT at the same time.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the motorolla t225. IT does exactly what you want. I press the call button you hear a beep then you hear the windows phone bing and the phone handles your command. . I turn it on and it says phone one connected and then the phone handles everything else.

I had this from when I was using my iphone 4s. I wanted siri to do everything and decided on this very basic Bluetooth car speaker thing.

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but that's just a car kit which looks exactly like what I have already. I'm looking for a physical radio that I will install in my car to replace my existing stereo. The catch is I want the replacement stereo to be simple, exactly like the various car kits that have been linked in this thread, but built into my dash that also has a FM/AM tuner etc.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Josh Mackey

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but that's just a car kit which looks exactly like what I have already. I'm looking for a physical radio that I will install in my car to replace my existing stereo. The catch is I want the replacement stereo to be simple, exactly like the various car kits that have been linked in this thread, but built into my dash that also has a FM/AM tuner etc.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

I replaced the stereo desk in my car a few years back with an after market one. It has both bluetooth audio and hands free build in. I can toggle WP8's voice recognition from the desk itself and make phone calls from it. If I'm listening to the radio (or bluetooth audio) and a call comes it, it switches to the hands free mode automatically.

They probably don't sell that model anymore but I can get the manufacturer if you're interested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett