WP8 and 1080p screen

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My comment was based on my personal experience of using my HTC 8X directly beside the DNA

Like I said, with text is is definitely noticeable. For other things it is not, in fact the DNA screen seemed less bright.

My comment above:
I knocked it until I looked at text on the DNA, it is definitely clearer. That was the only time I ever noticed a difference though
Is true based on my personal side-by-side observation. The picture posted was simply what I found with a quick image search for reference.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My comment was based on my personal experience of using my HTC 8X directly beside the DNA.

Okay, that I accept. Looking forward to doing that comparison myself soon. I believe it is noticable, but I'm still skeptical the average user would notice a difference in daily usage.

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The DNA screen is noticeably better. I hope windows phones will support 1080p resolution, I am very happy with the appearance on my 8x, however if wp8 does offer 1080p I would like to have the best available resolution I can.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't see pixels on my 920, I don't care what site posts the screen under crazy magnification, my eyes can't see it , that's good enough for me.

This whole specc war is bordering ******ed...

Isaac Watkins

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I doubt whether or not the difference being noticeable by the average consumer will hold any weight on whether or not wp8 should support this resolution, as there are a plethora of things that smartphones do now that "don't matter" to the "average" person. The fact remains that specs drive sales, marketshare, popularity in todays world to some degree. As long as this fact remains adding more pixels won't be an issue. Whether or not apps can play on different resolutions is also another pointless argument. I think we all know why.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Whether or not apps can play on different resolutions is also another pointless argument. I think we all know why.

I don't. Why?

I doubt whether or not the difference being noticeable by the average consumer will hold any weight on whether or not wp8 should support this resolution, as there are a plethora of things that smartphones do now that "don't matter" to the "average" person. The fact remains that specs drive sales, marketshare, popularity in todays world to some degree.

Any consumer that is unsophisticated enough to be motivated by a largely irrelevant spec is generally very simple to market to. You just need to provide a different spec that favours your own device's abilities over the competitions. For example, given two devices that can run the same game on a similarly powerful GPU, the device with the lower resolution will typically have much higher frame rates at comparable graphics quality settings. You just need to push the FPS spec instead of the resolution. Such people are easy to nudge in any direction by dangling the right carrot. Possibly you remember the popular question "how well can your rig run crisis?". Same thing...

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Serious question... Most of our gigantor LCD/Plasma TV's have only 720 or 1080 and we do ok. Why does a 4.5" Phone screen need 1080 over 720?

That's because you're watching TV at a further distance. Move your face to about 12" (standard viewing distance of a smartphone screen) away from the TV and you'll definitely see the pixelation. Ultra hi-def 4K is the new TV resolution already out and available for purchase.

Personally, I would love a 1080 screen on my next WP!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That's because you're watching TV at a further distance. Move your face to about 12" (standard viewing distance of a smartphone screen) away from the TV and you'll definitely see the pixelation. Ultra hi-def 4K is the new TV resolution already out and available for purchase.

Personally, I would love a 1080 screen on my next WP!

You too are missing an important variable: the size of each pixel!

If we want to judge how sharp a display is likely to be, two things are important:
  • Viewing distance
  • Pixel size. Pixel size is expressed in PPI (pixels per inch)
Both of these are interrelated. At long viewing distances, pixels may be larger, meaning televisions, which are usually viewed at a distance of a few feet, may have lower PPI values, which they do. Even 4k television displays have ridiculously low PPI values compared to smartphones (lower PPI = larger screens and/or fewer pixels). As long as the human eye isn't able to discern individual pixels at a given viewing distance, the resolution is fine. Reversely, At shorter viewing distances, pixels must become smaller to avoid becoming noticeable, meaning higher PPI values are required (higher PPI = smaller screens and/or more pixels)

For the scientifically inclined, it is possible to go even further. Both viewing distance and pixel size can be combined into a single unit of measure: arc minutes. If you know how many arc minutes your eyes prefer, you can calculate your own personal PPI preference at any viewing distance.

Both display size and resolution need not be considered, at least not in terms of display sharpness, as both are already expressed through PPI.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05