WP8 and 1080p screen

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Does WP8 have the capability to have a 1080p screen or is it a shortcoming of WP8? And I don't care to hear all the why do you need it posts I want to know if it can do it or not thanks.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
At this moment wp8 does not support that resolution. Microsoft could change that in a future update if they so choose.

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It is not that difficult to support 1080p in WP, it is the same as 720p but with upscale.
Just consider is it really need a big 1080p phone, or you need a small tablet.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so its not a limitation of the os just the hardware. Thanks!!

That is wrong. It is a limitation of neither. WP is a standardized platform, meaning hardware and software. Microsoft is the company that defines that standard. Microsoft has legal and technical mechanisms in place to ensure OEM's can't deviate from that standard. So, although WP8 is capable of supporting 1080p displays, it is simultaneously "configured" to reject attempts to interface with such a display.

Microsoft's goal is to simplify the development of apps and games. As far as developers are concerned, the fewer resolutions apps must support the better. This is a good policy.

WP8 won't support 1080p displays. Ever. WP9 likely will.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I see no reason why Microsoft couldn't support 1080p displays for WP8. In theory its just another resolution, all existing 720p content should scale easily to 1080p.

I'm sure its a bit of work, but if the market, and the OEMs demand it, they'll have to do it.

I personally think its pointless on a phone screen, it'll have almost no content, and it'll force bigger, more expensive batteries, but if the specification junkies demand it, so be it.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Serious question... Most of our gigantor LCD/Plasma TV's have only 720 or 1080 and we do ok. Why does a 4.5" Phone screen need 1080 over 720?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I knocked it until I looked at text on the DNA, it is definitely clearer. That was the only time I ever noticed a difference though

Sergey Matvienko

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Technically nothing stops WP8 from supporting 1080p resolution. But at the moment there are no phones using that resolution on any OS. Increasing resolution will create problems for developers (what looks ok on 480p will look like total crap on 1080p) and you will need more powerful hardware (increasing battery consumption). And in the end it will be very hard to spot difference between 720p and 1080 on 4-5" screen.

For tablets 1080p and beyond would make more sense. But we already have Win RT for that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In theory its just another resolution, all existing 720p content should scale easily to 1080p.

That is your reason. Something that only works in theory is useless. I once shared your opinion, but after looking at WP8 I no longer do. Too many developers don't get this right. Also, apps don't perform the same at higher resolutions. A game that performs well enough on WXGA is very unlikely to be playable on 1080p... the issue isn't as simple as you make it out to be, not even in theory.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I knocked it until I looked at text on the DNA, it is definitely clearer. That was the only time I ever noticed a difference though

Clearer compared to what? The 8x? I find that doubtfull. Might other factors like ambient lighting, or the LCD's great contrast ratio also have played a role?

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, its much clearer than the 8X. It's clearer than anything on the market for text.

original.jpg

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 10

halamadrid11

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh comon guys if microsoft wants to compete it needs to support 1080p too, its not like if u dont need or want it so thats everyone, wp flagships need to be as good as android flagship phones spec wise so it can be considered as the best and to gain more marketshare.

we want the best, hala madrid hala nokia hala windows phone

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh comon guys if microsoft wants to compete it needs to support 1080p too, its not like if u dont need or want it so thats everyone, wp flagships need to be as good as android flagship phones spec wise so it can be considered as the best and to gain more marketshare.

we want the best, hala madrid hala nokia hala windows phone

Then you better let Apple know as well... how dare they be so successful with their low resolution displays... right?

Anyway, not sure what you don't understand. There are good reasons not to support 1080p on WP8. WP9 very likely will support 1080p. So... No problem, right?

halamadrid11

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I love wp so i want it to be the best, and i heard microsoft can update sdk for wp8 to support 1080p, if thats possible then i would love to have nokia lumia 9xx with quadcore 1080p, that would be absolutly killer.

Iphones are known as the latest tech on them and now they are lagging in behind android so i hope microsoft does the same.

I rdmember the day when someone wanted the best phone everyone recomended iphone but today i hear galaxy s3 lumia 920 so microsoft to need to keep up with the good work.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, its much clearer than the 8X. It's clearer than anything on the market for text.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1857r0v0lfr7ijpg/original.jpg

Thanks for the URL, although the image leads me to an entirely different conclusion... obviously anyone can see a difference at that magnification, but even then the difference is astonishingly subtle... almost nobody will be able to recognize a difference without magnification during normal usage...

I think the image proves that contrast and color reproduction are now far more important than resolution.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I love wp so i want it to be the best.

Agree, you just don't realize that a higher resolution WP8 isn't going to improve anything except a number on a spec sheet, while simultaneously making app development harder (even less apps), cause the GPU to suck more power from the battery, and lower performance in games (FPS).

Not worth it in any way for WP8.

WP9 will at least also be able to reap a few benefits... although even then only subtle ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo