"Other" taking up 3.5 GB...

Pikezer1337

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Everyday I say I'll lose up to .02-.03 GB of memory on my HTC 8x. Seeing as how I only have an 8gb phone and it starts out with 6.11 GB, the other is taking up well over half of my memory. Sometimes I notice I'll lose space when surfing the internet so I'll clear the cache and history but that still sometimes won't even bring it back up to what it use to be. So what I'm trying to say is that eventually although it will take a while, I will not put one more app or song on my phone but it will still eventually run out of space, and make me have to factory reset the entire thing. This to me is crazy. Don't get my wrong I love my Windows Phone, but because of this huge space of "Other" I can't even enjoy the luxury of keeping videos or pictures on my phone. Does anyone know what this other is, and how to stop what seems to be phantom memory loss from my phone?
Thanks in advance!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Those are cache files. They'll use as much storage as you have to speed up your phone.

Don't worry about it. As you install new apps, the OS automatically downsizes the cache to allow the new apps to fit.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Those are cache files. They'll use as much storage as you have to speed up your phone.

Don't worry about it. As you install new apps, the OS automatically downsizes the cache to allow the new apps to fit.

Except it's been proven several times on these forums that it doesn't work that way. The cache never shrinks to accommodate new apps or photos or what have you once you run out of regular storage. The ones getting hit the hardest by this are the ones with only 4 and 8GB of storage. My Lumia 920 only has about 15 apps installed and my "other" section is 4.9GB.

Dragule

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello there :)

Following Microsoft support, the only way to clean Other is to hard reset the phone, or wait for an OS update.
The matter is that Other grows when you install, and use, apps. But does not decrease as much as it should when you uninstall.
It's filled with something that we can't see, probably cache files.

I believe that there are installation files, in there. When you download an app, you download a .XAP file, which, I think, goes to Other. But when you uninstall the app, the .XAP file does not seem to be deleted.
If you try to install the same app again, Other won't grow, because the file is already in.

That's what I think. I hope it will be fixed soon :)

If you want more information, you can read this whole thread.
We talked quite a bit about this issue, and we tried tons of things, did tests etc.
>> http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/210460-what-about-other-storage-section.html

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
If they won't let us install apps on the SD card, at least give us an option to move the "other" file to the SD card.

profet

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually figured out that my "other" was video/audio podcasts taking up huge amounts of space. Not sure if that is your issue, but check on that.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Everyday I say I'll lose up to .02-.03 GB of memory on my HTC 8x. Seeing as how I only have an 8gb phone and it starts out with 6.11 GB, the other is taking up well over half of my memory. Sometimes I notice I'll lose space when surfing the internet so I'll clear the cache and history but that still sometimes won't even bring it back up to what it use to be. So what I'm trying to say is that eventually although it will take a while, I will not put one more app or song on my phone but it will still eventually run out of space, and make me have to factory reset the entire thing. This to me is crazy. Don't get my wrong I love my Windows Phone, but because of this huge space of "Other" I can't even enjoy the luxury of keeping videos or pictures on my phone. Does anyone know what this other is, and how to stop what seems to be phantom memory loss from my phone?
Thanks in advance!
Do you download a lot of podcasts through the music hub .. If you do the hub doesn't erase the old podcasts for awhile

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention