GMaps Pro Updated

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Gmaps Pro is now updated and uses the DriveTo protocol. Finally. Now you can get "directions" navigation from searches and other apps like Navigation Shortcut (voice).

astrakh

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As gMaps team member I can confirm this. Thank you for this post. Could you please let me know what do you mean under "Navigation Shortcut"?
Thanks,
Alexey

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
"Navigation Shortcuts" is an app that allows you to voice activate navigation to predefined places. Gmaps as I know, don't support activation through voice yet. You have to use another navigation app altogether or us "NS" plus Gmaps.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Am I right in saying the op is suggesting you can now do voice navigation with gmaps pro using this other app called Navigation Shortcuts?

I can't find that app on the store, is it just for Windows phone 7?

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Gmaps Pro is now updated and uses the DriveTo protocol. Finally. Now you can get "directions" navigation from searches and other apps like Navigation Shortcut (voice).

Seriously, whoever wants Gmaps can go to Andriod..Who cares about Gmaps if you have Nokia Maps!!?!! Okay, i know that Gmaps is better, but dude Nokia Maps does the job very well! I used both and both are good! Ppl who are in love with Gmaps and see it the best and cant live without it should move to Andriod!

chinlj

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Dude, WP experience outside US is not very good, no podcasts, no Xbox music, no local scout, map is just one of the many features missing. Nokia map is good but far fewer useful details and outdated.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, whoever wants Gmaps can go to Andriod..Who cares about Gmaps if you have Nokia Maps!!?!! Okay, i know that Gmaps is better, but dude Nokia Maps does the job very well! I used both and both are good! Ppl who are in love with Gmaps and see it the best and cant live without it should move to Andriod!

I ahavean HTC 8X, we ddon't have Nokia Dtive or anything that is sufficient. All we have is gmaps or a 30 dollar letdown from Garmin

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Dude, WP experience outside US is not very good, no podcasts, no Xbox music, no local scout, map is just one of the many features missing. Nokia map is good but far fewer useful details and outdated.

So the UK is inside the USA? News to me! I'm in the UK and Bing maps, local scout, etc is pretty damn good. I'm also able to get Xbox music. No podcasts though unless I'm mistaken.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Nokia isn't the only Windows Phone OEM.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, for Nokia/Bing Maps to bring itself to Google Maps' level of accuracy it'd need a lot of people using it, sort of a catch-22 when people need very specific street-level directions (for walking). That said, I use Nokia's services when driving or commuting by public transport, and even walking until I'm led to a back-alley (happened once), which at that point I just had to use gMaps Pro.

But it's not all bad news, if you look at Nokia's product offerings it's clear that they're dead serious about strengthening their location services. For example, the low-end Nokia Asha 308, 309 and 311 phones use Nokia Maps. Given that 9 million of these types of devices were sold in Q4, I'm hopeful that we'll see Nokia Maps improve quite a bit over this year (albeit, mostly in Asia and maybe parts of Europe and Africa).

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So the UK is inside the USA? News to me! I'm in the UK and Bing maps, local scout, etc is pretty damn good. I'm also able to get Xbox music. No podcasts though unless I'm mistaken.

Bing services are still crap (and in beta) for example in Switzerland, I think we've had this discussion already many, many times. Should all Swiss people just buy Android phones as Bilal_Fakih is suggesting? Why is Microsoft even selling products here then?

I'm happy with gMaps Pro and the Google app, as Bing can't offer me anything.

Look, I don't feel comfortable seeing every discussion Google is involved turning into some kind of war of Bing fans against reasonable people just using Google because Bing is bad where they live, but this ignorance is even worse.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Bing services are still crap (and in beta) for example in Switzerland, I think we've had this discussion already many, many times. Should all Swiss people just buy Android phones as Bilal_Fakih is suggesting? Why is Microsoft even selling products here then?

Look, I don't feel comfortable seeing every discussion Google is involved turning into some kind of war of Bing fans against reasonable people just using Google because Bing is bad where they live, but this ignorance is even worse.

Well, i agree with your that Bing maps sucks and yes its still in beta and hopefully it will get better with time! Its true that in some countries Bing cant help..Yes i completely forgot that Nokia Maps is only available in Nokia Phones. So, if Bing doesnt support your country or you feel Google maps is a need then yeah sure why not! The thing is what really gets on my nerves is that ppl dissing everything from MS! I dont know why ppl bought the phone, i actually advise ppl to research before buying any phone. Ill never buy a phone before reading all the details and see if this phone can give me what i need! I have an iPhone 4 and my bro has S2! But im just board of both OS and i really need maps especially if it can works offline and yet for me WP8(Nokia 920) supports all apps except Viber which is the only app i need is missing.

Bilal_Fakih

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay, i completely forgot that Nokia maps is not supported with other platforms and Bing isnt any good! Therefore, i have to agree that Gmaps is need (hopefully for now) to WP8 that are not Nokia or doesnt have Nokia maps.

I was told that Nokia maps is available on Apple Store but has a different name, can anyone confirm? If yes and is official, then Nokia maps should be in the WP Store for other platforms...

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree that gmaps looks better but my Bing maps has blown away my friends android in routing on multiple occasions.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

That's not my issue, and I accept that they could be the worst thing in the world in places like Switzerland that means MS should be the recipient of 1'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000 nuclear bombs, but all I'm saying is people are saying it is ONLY the US where it is good when it isn't, as in my experience Bing maps has been immaculate in the UK. It's that spreading of misinformation that gets my goat, not the fact that Bing actually is crap in places.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb