Alternative to paying for texting?

lafn

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I got my Lumia 920 a week ago and it has been great! I would like to find a way to send texts to other phones using my data plan. Is there someway in the OS to do that beyond using email to their text address? I don't mind that others text to me (as I have free incoming texts), I would just like to be able to reply using data plan somehow.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I used WhatsApp for a while but really hated it! The only "positive" thing about WhatsApp is the huge userbase... At least on my Arrive (WP7.5) the app sucks... no real service in terms of "user wishes" and so on...

So thatswhy I am trying Hike right now. And I have to admit: I really love it! Of course there are still some functions missing and only a few of my friends use it, but I am sure it will change soon.

Hike is very fast (a lot faster than WhatsApp), all the messages arrive (WhatsApp used to forget some of them...) and so on...The best thing about Hike: it checks your contacts on the phone and compares them to the hike-servers. If there is a match, you know that particular contact is using Hike as well... so you can chat with them without paying anything... So basicly you don't need a new profile and new "friends" and so on... just download hike, register your number und your contacts-list will be updated constantly! (btw: whatsapp does the same...thatswhy almost everybody uses it...). Hike will need some time for all the others to start using it...untill then you have to wait and chat with the ones already using it...but I'm sure it will be ok soon!

So maybe give it a try..

Greetz

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I generally use the Facebook chat integration, it works well for me but not so for everyone.

If however you want to send a message, and have the other person receive it as a Text message, I don't believe you can do that with an App. To use Data for messaging you both have to be using an app that does it.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Heywire is ok. I don't like it on wp7 because you have to log in in order to see if you have any messages it doesn't seem to support live tiles or anything. Also it requires you to get a new texting only phone number. And it doesn't remember your username (which is your texting phone number) or password so it's a pain to use on wp7 at least. I am hoping it is better on wp8.

lafn

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I was looking for an app that will send a text to other phones. Using my Exchange account to send to texters (phonenumber@vtext.com) works but you have to keep removing all the text you receive in a reply before sending another reply or it gets ugly. Seems like an IM app could do this easily if it can send to text phones. Certainly willing to pay for one. Trying to avoid $20/month though.
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss