Skypr/Messenger integration in March?

TunaTank

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm really worried about how this will affect WP. Messenger integration was a huge attraction, with threaded messages. But now if they are doing away with Messenger, and SHUTTING DOWN the messenger service and MSN Messenger will not work on the desktop any more, and everyone is forced to use the Skype app, it sounds like the same thing will happen with WP. We all know that the Skype app is pretty poor for WP, considering how integrated it should be, but how will this turnover work? I see it going as one of a few ways, listed in order of probability.

1) Messenger in the Messaging hub dies. Forced to use slow, separate Skype app for non threaded messaging.

2) Messenger in the Messaging hub lives on, uses Skype servers. (And hopefully the disconnecting errors go away.)

3) Skype becomes fully integrated with a WP8 update. Messaging and calls are now completely integrated, no more separate app launching.

Sadly, this looks bad for W7.8 users if option 1 happens. The rest, probably will be OK. Option 2 will have very little effect. Option 3 would be the most amazing thing, however it would mess with WP7.8 people, unless Microsoft has something up their sleeve. Option 3 would also require the update to be rolled out across all devices at the same time, or ahead of time in a transition period. And another thought, what becomes of the Messaging hub in Win8? Will it die or be integrated?

What does everyone else think? Is anyone else worried?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I also think it reflects poorly that a (now) Microsoft application on the order of Apple's iMessage is not even a functioning well on WP8. Frustration abounds!

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's very unlikely that Messenger itself will die. The Rooms feature in WP8 is built around Messenger friends.

The only official word from Microsoft is that the Messenger desktop client is being phased out in favour of Skype, which is a totally reasonable thing for them to do. This probably means that the Messenger servers and Skype servers will be merged into one, but it will not affect existing clients (Windows Live Messenger, Skype, Win8, WinPhone) in any way.

It is also quite possible that Skype gets integrated into the WP8 Messaging hub in the near future. If this happens, it won't really affect WP7.x users in any way, they will still be able to use the Skype app.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Dunno anyone who really uses WLM anymore, it's all about FB chat and the Message Hub has FB Integration so most people aren't gonna be affected.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
No reason y Skype shouldn't integrated and not an app. It needs to work like face time and the messages should be in the hub

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
According to Microsoft, the desktop Messenger client will die after March 15th. Your only option will be Skype.

A funny thing is the email they sent out yesterday about it mentions that a Windows Phone 8 client is comming soon. I wonder if it's gonna be out of "Preview" soon.

It's very unlikely that Messenger itself will die. The Rooms feature in WP8 is built around Messenger friends.

The only official word from Microsoft is that the Messenger desktop client is being phased out in favour of Skype, which is a totally reasonable thing for them to do. This probably means that the Messenger servers and Skype servers will be merged into one, but it will not affect existing clients (Windows Live Messenger, Skype, Win8, WinPhone) in any way.

It is also quite possible that Skype gets integrated into the WP8 Messaging hub in the near future. If this happens, it won't really affect WP7.x users in any way, they will still be able to use the Skype app.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I really hope it effects disconnection errors within the Messaging hub. In a positive way, of course. Me having a 920 and girlfriend having a Focus 2 has been **** when it comes to chatting.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I really hope Microsoft at least talked about us windows phone users, the confusion will turn away users.... A time table will be very nice

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
it's for desktop messenger clients, not for us, windows phone users with subpar Skype app and integrated live messaging.

For wp7 users, this may affect them if you use messenger still

for wp8, i dont think there is messenger integration anymore, at least i can not find it.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
it's for desktop messenger clients, not for us, windows phone users with subpar Skype app and integrated live messaging.
I signed into Desktop skype this morning with my messenger account. behaves just like messenger did. Outlook.com list my messages sent via skype (to a skype only contact not a messenger contact), so it looks like the backend is already there to integrate the services.

Not sure what the problem is for Messenger connections via the integrated app on WP8. My guess is this will be baked into an update with it being pushed prior to the 15th.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
for wp8, i dont think there is messenger integration anymore, at least i can not find it.

It's in the message app, tied to your microsoft account. I talk to msn people on it... and I have a different msn linked up with skype so I have my two messenger profiles that I wanted to have :)

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft controls the backend that is exposed to the phones. This is to ensure that when a service provider changes their api, microsoft only needs to change how their service gets the data for the windows phones. This is how it DOES NOT work and why:

Facebook has a chat API.
Microsoft writes Windows Phone to directly use Facebooks API for it's chat.
Facebook changes how their API works, breaks functionality for Windows Phones
Microsoft needs to push an update to all Windows Phones to accommodate Facebook's API change, takes weeks if not months to do.

This is a terrible way to do it, so instead, Microsoft has done this:

Facebook has a chat API.
Microsoft writes their own server to use the Facebook API for chat data. This server structures the service data in a way that Windows Phone understands.
Microsoft writes Windows Phone to use their server as a middle man for Facebook's chat API.
Facebook changes how their API works, breaks functionality for Windows Phones.
Microsoft updates their own server to accommodate the change and structures the data in a way Windows Phone expects. Thereby avoiding the need to push an update to Windows Phones.

This is the method that will be used for skype. Whatever changes to the back end of how Windows Live Messenger and Skype chat work will not affect how those chats work on Windows Phones. What is likely to happen is that skype chat will simply work through the "Messenger" chat service available to us on Windows Phones.

After that, Microsoft has one big step they need to take: Create an API to use allow chat apps to access the messaging app in Windows Phones. I want to see apps like Kik, Whatsapp, Viber, etc be an option in the chat switcher in threaded messaging. Currently, only a few select services show up there and they are put there by Microsoft. This greatly limits the potential of Windows Phone messaging and will continue to do so until Microsoft opens up the messaging app to third party app developers.

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Skype said they want to do it, but the OS needs to be updated. I have a suspicion that this is indeed coming, if you change your chat status in the messenger hub, it also changes it on Skype.

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but Microsoft has a perfect opportunity to build a Google Voice killer with Skype. VOIP, texting over data, call redirecting. I would be willing to pay for this service.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Messenger is just messenger...not WLM Messenger, not MSN Messenger, not Skype Messenger, it is just Messenger.

Because of this, they can redirect who handles the messaging (WLM, Skype, whatever) on the back end and messenger will still work. Will work that way on the phone, will work that way on the Surface. All the fretting about Messenger needs to end, MS said as much in the email to users.

They also tipped their hand that there will be an update to Video Kinect in the spring update that will most likely replace it with Skype on the Xbox. The goal is to rid all MS properties of the Windows Live branding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb